08/10/2021 12:37 pm  #1


Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Hello, to get the conversation going how about we have a shout out from people. Where are you from? What is your favorite Bing Crosby record/movie and when did you first start collecting Bing.

I'll start:

I am 47 from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Favorite Bing record is You Are Too Beautiful
Favorite Bing movie is The Country Girl

I started collecting Bing when I bought my first Bing 45rpm in 1980 at the age of 6

 

08/10/2021 1:09 pm  #2


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Hello Long Lost Stranger!   Nice to see you back "on the boards" it's been a while hasn't it?   But it's always good to hear from you and see what you're doing with Bing. 
As for Bing, it's hard to narrow the choices down to one, but if forced I'd say:

Favorite Bing Record:  The 2nd recording of "I Can't Begin To Tell You".  I like Carmen Cavallaro's opening piano riff better in this version than in the released take.

Favorite Bing Movie:  Welcome Stranger   I like everything about this movie, Bing in his prime, funny, Barry Fitzgerald, cute as a button Wanda Hendrix with the crush, Pa Kettle driving a cab and Mrs. Trumble from I Love Lucy-Elizabeth Patterson.  

Started collecting Bing when I heard his Philco Radio Time show, that's when I became a fan about 1976.  I discovered Big Band music a couple years before but Bing was not on my radar till later.  I had seen Bing when I was a kid in his Christmas TV specials in the '60's but liked the Bob Hope Christmas shows more.  And I remember watching him on Hollywood Palace, but still never became a fan till I heard those funny Philco shows with BIng singing some unforgettable songs and his quick sense of humor is what I liked just as much as his singing style.   First record I ever bought was his single album "Greatest Hits".  Then I got his "Best of Bing" double album, that's where I first heard my favorite song (which I didn't know was the unreleased version at the time) "I Can't Begin To Tell You".   Been a fan ever since.

 

 

11/10/2021 4:05 pm  #3


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

I am from Iowa, I started collecting around 2 and a half years ago now, my favorite Bing songs varies as there are so many that I love. At the moment I, for some reason, am really enjoying Bing’s 1945 version of Ol’ Man River. My favorite Bing movies are The Country Girl, Little Boy Lost, and Here Comes The Groom.


Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.
 

11/10/2021 4:29 pm  #4


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

I am from Iowa, I started collecting around 2 and a half years ago now, my favorite Bing songs varies as there are so many that I love. At the moment I, for some reason, am really enjoying Bing’s 1945 version of Ol’ Man River. My favorite Bing movies are The Country Girl, Little Boy Lost, and Here Comes The Groom.

You have great taste! Since I have been collecting Bing now over 40 years, I tend to listen to his more obscure material and steer away from Swinging On A Star and White Christmas type songs.
 

     Thread Starter
 

11/10/2021 4:50 pm  #5


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Lobosco wrote:

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

I am from Iowa, I started collecting around 2 and a half years ago now, my favorite Bing songs varies as there are so many that I love. At the moment I, for some reason, am really enjoying Bing’s 1945 version of Ol’ Man River. My favorite Bing movies are The Country Girl, Little Boy Lost, and Here Comes The Groom.

You have great taste! Since I have been collecting Bing now over 40 years, I tend to listen to his more obscure material and steer away from Swinging On A Star and White Christmas type songs.
 

I'm fine with White Christmas at Christmas, but I tend to go for the rarer performances, in fact I don't really like the studio recordings too much! A similar thing with movies is that while the basic Holiday Inn, White Christmas, and  High Society are great movies on their own, I feel like there are many movies in Bing's catalogue that are better than those.

Thankfully, I had a friend online who sent me the Chronological series so I have most of Bing's commercial discography at this point, although of course not physically, but on my computer.


Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.
 

12/10/2021 12:19 am  #6


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Oh, what a task!
Pushing about 6,000 song titles sung over the years, but I like  - Down By the River, The Touch of Your Lips,  Lovely Lady and depends on one’s ‘mood’.
Mississippi is a favourite film plus a couple of others.
Been a fan for about 77 years or so (I’m 87).
Had the pleasure of meeting Bing, Bob and Larry in 1957.
Then other members of the Crosby family including Phil when he was in Sydney and caddied for Nathaniel.
Spoke to Bing on the phone a couple of times and he even rang me at the office when I worked in London.
A hard task in deed.

 

12/10/2021 2:12 am  #7


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

One of my pet peeves has always been that classic popular music stations that used to exist 10 20 years ago (I don't think even they are around anymore) when it came to Bing the only songs I ever heard them play was Swinging On A Star, True Love & Accentuate The Positive.  It would steam me every time because I'd think there are 100s and 100s of different great Bing songs they could choose from yet you'd have thought Bing only recorded 3 records, least if you were new to Bing.  

But maybe I didn't know when I was well off, as today there aren't any good type music stations anymore.  One reason I started up my Sounds Like Radio show was to play some of that great music.   By the way I have yet to play any of those 3 songs they used to only play.   I refuse to play the stuff they all played over and over.

 

12/10/2021 2:14 am  #8


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Archiefit wrote:

One of my pet peeves has always been that classic popular music stations that used to exist 10 20 years ago (I don't think even they are around anymore) when it came to Bing the only songs I ever heard them play was Swinging On A Star, True Love & Accentuate The Positive.  It would steam me every time because I'd think there are 100s and 100s of different great Bing songs they could choose from yet you'd have thought Bing only recorded 3 records, least if you were new to Bing.  

But maybe I didn't know when I was well off, as today there aren't any good type music stations anymore.  One reason I started up my Sounds Like Radio show was to play some of that great music.   By the way I have yet to play any of those 3 songs they used to only play.   I refuse to play the stuff they all played over and over.

I agree with you 100%. Although I have a radio version of Accentuate The Positive that Bing does without the Andrews Sisters and it's even better than the commercial recording.
 

     Thread Starter
 

12/10/2021 2:22 am  #9


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Yes, if you're talking about the same radio version I'm thinking of from that "Great Moments With Friends" CD set that is one version of that song I do enjoy.  It's a whole lot bouncier and looser than the Decca record.  That CD I put on my computer so I can hear that song when it pops up in the random play mode.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcps-static.rovicorp.com%2F3%2FJPG_400%2FMI0002%2F434%2FMI0002434416.jpg%3Fpartner%3Dallrovi.com&f=1&nofb=1

 

12/10/2021 3:15 am  #10


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

A lot of the radio versions of Andrews Sisters tracks I find better than the studio version, as they are indeed much looser.


Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.
 

12/10/2021 1:54 pm  #11


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Archiefit wrote:

Yes, if you're talking about the same radio version I'm thinking of from that "Great Moments With Friends" CD set that is one version of that song I do enjoy.  It's a whole lot bouncier and looser than the Decca record.  That CD I put on my computer so I can hear that song when it pops up in the random play mode.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcps-static.rovicorp.com%2F3%2FJPG_400%2FMI0002%2F434%2FMI0002434416.jpg%3Fpartner%3Dallrovi.com&f=1&nofb=1

That's it. I love that CD. Very underrated.

     Thread Starter
 

03/11/2021 5:27 pm  #12


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Hello everyone!  My name is Chris Hammond.  I am in East Tennessee and I run the Dixie Lee website/blog, https://www.dixieleefan.com

I first learned about Bing and Dixie when I was boy listening to Bing's Christmas album.  I later learned that Dixie Lee (Wilma Wyatt) was born in Harriman, Tennessee, about 30 minutes from where I grew up.  I believe that I may actually be very distantly related to her Scarbrough line through my great, great grandmother's family.  I was fortunate enough to work with Bing and Dixie's granddaughter, Dixie Lee Crosby Goodwin, who sadly is no longer with us, on getting a Tennessee state historical marker installed in Harriman for Dixie Lee.  

My goal is to research and preserve Dixie's legacy here in her home state of Tennessee, while also sharing more about her story and career.  

Last edited by DixieLeeFan (03/11/2021 5:50 pm)

 

06/11/2021 2:53 pm  #13


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

DixieLeeFan wrote:

Hello everyone!  My name is Chris Hammond.  I am in East Tennessee and I run the Dixie Lee website/blog, https://www.dixieleefan.com

I first learned about Bing and Dixie when I was boy listening to Bing's Christmas album.  I later learned that Dixie Lee (Wilma Wyatt) was born in Harriman, Tennessee, about 30 minutes from where I grew up.  I believe that I may actually be very distantly related to her Scarbrough line through my great, great grandmother's family.  I was fortunate enough to work with Bing and Dixie's granddaughter, Dixie Lee Crosby Goodwin, who sadly is no longer with us, on getting a Tennessee state historical marker installed in Harriman for Dixie Lee.  

My goal is to research and preserve Dixie's legacy here in her home state of Tennessee, while also sharing more about her story and career.  

Welcome to the board! Look forward all you have to share. By the way you are the 400th member to this board. Congrats!
 

     Thread Starter
 

09/11/2021 1:15 am  #14


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Lobosco wrote:

DixieLeeFan wrote:

Hello everyone!  My name is Chris Hammond.  I am in East Tennessee and I run the Dixie Lee website/blog, https://www.dixieleefan.com

I first learned about Bing and Dixie when I was boy listening to Bing's Christmas album.  I later learned that Dixie Lee (Wilma Wyatt) was born in Harriman, Tennessee, about 30 minutes from where I grew up.  I believe that I may actually be very distantly related to her Scarbrough line through my great, great grandmother's family.  I was fortunate enough to work with Bing and Dixie's granddaughter, Dixie Lee Crosby Goodwin, who sadly is no longer with us, on getting a Tennessee state historical marker installed in Harriman for Dixie Lee.  

My goal is to research and preserve Dixie's legacy here in her home state of Tennessee, while also sharing more about her story and career.  

Welcome to the board! Look forward all you have to share. By the way you are the 400th member to this board. Congrats!
 

Very cool!!! You all should create badges for that kinda stuff!  Love the site.  Thank you for the kind words!

 

19/11/2021 5:54 am  #15


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

I'll begin with a confession. I don't mean that I'm old, although I am (87) but that in my late teens in Melbourne, Australia, I tired of hearing Bing's records on radio because he was so popular you couldn't avoid them. Then a friend introduced me to his early 1930s records and I was hooked. I enjoy especially his duets with Connee Boswell and many with The Andrews Sisters. As for my favourite movies, I'd say High Society, The Emperor Waltz and  Here Comes the Groom.

 

19/11/2021 2:24 pm  #16


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Graham Pascoe wrote:

I'll begin with a confession. I don't mean that I'm old, although I am (87) but that in my late teens in Melbourne, Australia, I tired of hearing Bing's records on radio because he was so popular you couldn't avoid them. Then a friend introduced me to his early 1930s records and I was hooked. I enjoy especially his duets with Connee Boswell and many with The Andrews Sisters. As for my favourite movies, I'd say High Society, The Emperor Waltz and  Here Comes the Groom.

You're only as young as you feel. Today I feel like I am 101!

Bing's duets with Connee Boswell were amazing!
 

     Thread Starter
 

22/2/2022 7:05 pm  #17


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Hello everyone. My name is Ian Kerstein, just a days old new member, I am fifty two years of age and reside in the UK Robin Hood county of Nottingham in England.

My favourite singular Bing song/recording is his 1962, "Winter Wonderland". As with the whole of the "I Wish You a Merry Christmas" album for which it was recorded, I still find the almost fireside glowing orchestrations and the matching warmer than warm singing by Bing and his accompanying chorus as welcome and affecting as a glass of seasonal mulled wine. Audibly, it has signalled the start of each of my Christmases since 1985. 

So far, my favourite film of our man is by a longshot (and apologies for displaying even more unoriginality, here) that cast-perfect, champagne fizz of a musical, "High Society" (to a just ended calypso rhythm, " .. end of  song, beginning of stoooory!") …

... the cementing of the beginnings of my collection of Bing was during 1982 at the age of thirteen when some kind and thoughtful husband and wife friends of the family bought me the 1982 reissue LP edition of "Fancy Meeting You Here". Only my second Crosby LP from the same year (and couple), I was intoxicated on my first hearing and introduction to Billy May's bold brassy arrangements, the wonderful "concept" of the album (way before any of the seventies' rock bands found their fun with the format) and of course the peerless vocal pairing of Bing and Rosemary Clooney.

It has not only long since become my favourite Crosby album but my general favourite album of all time by anyone. The ingenious song choices, perfectly attuned singing, spoken vocal word play, witty harmonies and their overall pitch perfect partnership still leaves me as thrilled with this LP from when I first heard it very nearly forty years ago.

Apologies for the length of all this. I'm sure I'll calm down in time but I am just so delighted to now be a member of this forum.

My very best wishes to all,
Ian.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (01/3/2022 7:23 pm)

 

23/2/2022 6:33 am  #18


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Hullo Ian, from Graham in Bathurst, Australia. Fancy Meeting You Here is a beaut album, isn't it. If you like Rosemary Clooney's singing you'll find a book published in 2013 titled Late Night Jazz: The Life and career of Rosemary Clooney, written by Ken Crossland and Malcolm Macfarlane interesting.

 

23/2/2022 9:40 am  #19


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Hi Ian,
Welcome to the forum. You are amongst friends.
If you would like a complimentary copy of BING magazine. email your address to me at macwilmslo@aol.com

 

23/2/2022 12:30 pm  #20


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Ian Kerstein wrote:

Hello everyone. My name is Ian Kerstein, just a days old new member, I am fifty two years of age and reside in the UK Robin Hood county of Nottingham in England.

My favourite singular Bing song/recording is his 1962, "Winter Wonderland". As with the whole of the "I Wish You a Merry Christmas" for which it was recorded, I still find the almost fireside glowing orchestrations and the matching warmer than warm singing by Bing and his accompanying chorus as welcome and affecting as a glass of seasonal mulled wine. Audibly, it has signalled the start of each of my Christmases since 1985. 

So far, my favourite film of our man is by a longshot (and apologies for displaying even more unoriginality, here) that cast-perfect, champagne fizz of a musical, "High Society" (to a just ended calypso rhythm, " .. end of  song, beginning of stoooory!") …

... the cementing of the beginnings of my collection of Bing was during 1982 at the age of thirteen when some kind and thoughtful husband and wife friends of the family bought me the 1982 reissue LP edition of "Fancy Meeting You Here". Only my second Crosby LP from the same year (and couple), I was intoxicated on my first hearing and introduction to Billy May's bold brassy arrangements, the wonderful "concept" of the album (way before any of the seventies' rock bands found their fun with the format) and of course the peerless vocal pairing of Bing and Rosemary Clooney.

It has not only long since become my favourite Crosby album but my general favourite album of all time by anyone. The ingenious song choices, perfectly attuned singing, spoken vocal word play, witty harmonies and their overall pitch perfect partnership still leaves me as thrilled with this LP from when I first heard it very nearly forty years ago.

Apologies for the length of all this. I'm sure I'll calm down in time but I am just so delighted to now be a member of this forum.

My very best wishes to all,
Ian.

Ian - we are close to the same age. I'll be 48 this year! 

     Thread Starter
 

24/2/2022 2:10 pm  #21


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Graham Pascoe wrote:

Hullo Ian, from Graham in Bathurst, Australia. Fancy Meeting You Here is a beaut album, isn't it. If you like Rosemary Clooney's singing you'll find a book published in 2013 titled Late Night Jazz: The Life and career of Rosemary Clooney, written by Ken Crossland and Malcolm Macfarlane interesting.

Hello Graham.

Oh, it really is a "beaut", isn't it!!!! I am so delighted to hear from you (my very first contact with a Bing fan in Australia) and that you're a specific admirer of this album, too. I could endlessly bore on about it but I don't wish to get kicked off the site (particularly this early on) for crashing it due to "overload"! I'm already wondering if I dare post a single subject, paragraphs long message via the Index's "General Discussion" heading of "The Great What If (Bing lived) Thread". 

I also like Rosemary Clooney very much indeed whom as with Bing, was gathered far too soon! Thank you so much for your kind recommendation of Malcolm MacFarlane's book on her, but would you believe, I just pipped you to the post by a just a handful of months and am now the proud owner of a copy. It's smashing, isn't it?  - as are all of Malcolm's beautifully readable and wonderfully researched books. Do you have copies of Rosie's own brace of memoirs, "This for Remembrance" (1977) and "Girl Singer" (2001)? If not, both are more than worth a read. Also, have you seen the US tele-biopic adaptation of the former, made sometime in the 1980's? 
 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (24/2/2022 2:21 pm)

 

24/2/2022 2:14 pm  #22


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Lobosco wrote:

Ian Kerstein wrote:

Hello everyone. My name is Ian Kerstein, just a days old new member, I am fifty two years of age and reside in the UK Robin Hood county of Nottingham in England.

My favourite singular Bing song/recording is his 1962, "Winter Wonderland". As with the whole of the "I Wish You a Merry Christmas" for which it was recorded, I still find the almost fireside glowing orchestrations and the matching warmer than warm singing by Bing and his accompanying chorus as welcome and affecting as a glass of seasonal mulled wine. Audibly, it has signalled the start of each of my Christmases since 1985. 

So far, my favourite film of our man is by a longshot (and apologies for displaying even more unoriginality, here) that cast-perfect, champagne fizz of a musical, "High Society" (to a just ended calypso rhythm, " .. end of  song, beginning of stoooory!") …

... the cementing of the beginnings of my collection of Bing was during 1982 at the age of thirteen when some kind and thoughtful husband and wife friends of the family bought me the 1982 reissue LP edition of "Fancy Meeting You Here". Only my second Crosby LP from the same year (and couple), I was intoxicated on my first hearing and introduction to Billy May's bold brassy arrangements, the wonderful "concept" of the album (way before any of the seventies' rock bands found their fun with the format) and of course the peerless vocal pairing of Bing and Rosemary Clooney.

It has not only long since become my favourite Crosby album but my general favourite album of all time by anyone. The ingenious song choices, perfectly attuned singing, spoken vocal word play, witty harmonies and their overall pitch perfect partnership still leaves me as thrilled with this LP from when I first heard it very nearly forty years ago.

Apologies for the length of all this. I'm sure I'll calm down in time but I am just so delighted to now be a member of this forum.

My very best wishes to all,
Ian.

Ian - we are close to the same age. I'll be 48 this year! 

Ah! That's good to know, David and thank you - but I'm still more than open to trade ages and those four years with you!
 

 

24/2/2022 2:37 pm  #23


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

Hi Ian,
Welcome to the forum. You are amongst friends.
If you would like a complimentary copy of BING magazine. email your address to me at macwilmslo@aol.com

Oh my goodness me, Malcolm - thank you and "Hello", too!
This quite a moment for me, as I am such an admirer of your work.
As I am currently bursting  with giddy surprise, delight and fandom at your message, I shall spare you your blushes on here and will most certainly email you, once I have hopefully calmed myself down. 
 

 

08/3/2022 6:53 pm  #24


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Archiefit wrote:

One of my pet peeves has always been that classic popular music stations that used to exist 10 20 years ago (I don't think even they are around anymore) when it came to Bing the only songs I ever heard them play was Swinging On A Star, True Love & Accentuate The Positive.  It would steam me every time because I'd think there are 100s and 100s of different great Bing songs they could choose from yet you'd have thought Bing only recorded 3 records, least if you were new to Bing.  

But maybe I didn't know when I was well off, as today there aren't any good type music stations anymore.  One reason I started up my Sounds Like Radio show was to play some of that great music.   By the way I have yet to play any of those 3 songs they used to only play.   I refuse to play the stuff they all played over and over.

Oh, Archiefit! I share your radio pet peeve, too. Here in the UK up until just under a decade ago on our national broadcaster's BBC Radio 2 station, there was still a decent string of what had then become "specialist" programmes sympathetic to this era. On the same station, twenty-five to thirty years before, there still existed much gentrified styles of presentation which were nicely sympathetic to the music of Bing and his associates. Radio 2 in a far racier, pop orientated form still exists but as mentioned above, all - bar the shouting is practically  over, now. However thanks to the wonderful UK  internet "Serenade Radio" station (much in the style of the old BBC Radio 2 and its Light Programme precursor, without endless trailers, commercials and traffic reports) and your herculean efforts on Soundslikeradio, hope is being preserved. I have just completed listening to your professional, cheerfully engaging introduced edition of the Bing Crosby Show (8/7/56 - Vol.26) on the Library of Sound and it is a solid gold gem. Your "afterwards'" are also avuncular and friendly - and beautifully suit the vintage show's style. A million congratulations! I loved the music (of course) and the super interplay between Bing and announcer Ken Carpenter. So intimate, gently humorous and cosy! I'm off now to explore more of your goodies, Archiefit. Thanks for your previous "Heads up". 
 

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (09/3/2022 12:18 pm)

 

08/3/2022 9:06 pm  #25


Re: Introduce/Reintroduce Yourself

Thank you Ian for the very kind and thoughtful words.  It's actually quite encouraging to me as I'm never sure if anyone is listening.  I'll be posting more Bing shows in the future and have posted many of them already, you just need to scroll through to see and hear them.   I've been particularly picking Bing shows that are not already available on the internet.   I remember back in the '70's and '80's listening to shows that used to do what I'm doing now.  One of the reasons I wanted to do this show was to bring back that type of show, in particular for young people who may have never heard music like this before to discover it for themselves for the first time.  Just as I did back in the '70's when I was still a teenager.
  
I'm very happy you're enjoying the shows I'll be posting at least 2 new shows every week,  With what I call the Library of Sound postings I hope the variety of different shows each week are all very interesting, entertaining and fun to listen to.

Hope to hear from you again and if you have a Bing song you'd like to request I'll work it into a Sounds Like Radio show along with the rest of the music I play in those shows.
 

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

Spread the word about CROSBY FAN WORLD http://crosbyfanworld.boardhost.com