06/11/2021 2:59 pm  #1

Bing Argues With Jack Kapp

During Bing's recording session of August 14, 1935 - he was being forced to record I Wished On The Moon. Bing had a grievance with the song's publisher representative Lou Diamond and only wanted to sing one chorus. This fight went on for nearly 4 minutes. Bing got his way, and by the time he did record I Wished On The Moon it sounded like he wanted no part in the song...

It also sounded like Bing was a little tipsy - reportedly the Dorsey Brothers had a liquid lunch with Bing that day!

Last edited by Lobosco (07/11/2021 12:47 am)

06/11/2021 5:22 pm  #2

Re: Bing Argues With Jack Kapp

Lobosco wrote:

During Bing's recording session of August 14, 1935 - he was being forced to record I Wished On The Moon. Bing had a grievance with the song's publisher representative Lou Diamond and only wanted to sing one chorus. This fight went on for nearly 4 minutes. Bing got his way, and by the time he did record I Wished On The Moon it sounded like he wanted no part in the song...

It also sounded like Bing was a little tipsy - reported the Dorsey Brothers had a liquid lunch that day!

This one, which I had thankfully to one of my few (physical) volumes of the Jonzo series, got a companion in my collection when I discovered the Melancholie rehearsal that was on the Just For Fun Take Two album. His blow up at the end is quite a fun one, although a bit vulgar haha.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

07/11/2021 2:44 am  #3

I seem to remember that Bing had a bit of a cold and didn’t wish to record ‘I Wished...’ as he thought his voice wasn’t the best at that moment.

07/11/2021 4:03 am  #4

He apparently had something against the person who published the song by the time he was scheduled to record it, at least going off of the argument.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

07/11/2021 12:14 pm  #5

Ron Field wrote:

I seem to remember that Bing had a bit of a cold and didn’t wish to record ‘I Wished...’ as he thought his voice wasn’t the best at that moment.

He had recorded a number of records with the Dorsey Brothers that day and was in perfect voice. I think the morning recording session was fine but then Bing went out to lunch with the Dorsey Brothers (who ever heavy drinkers) and came back in a foul mood...

Board footera