18/10/2021 1:37 pm  #1

NOVEMBER MOVIE OF THE MONTH: The Emperor Waltz

For the month of November, our movie is the 1948 movie The Emperor Waltz. Once you watch the movie, get the conversation started by talking about anything you noticed, etc about the movie!

19/10/2021 1:37 am  #2

Re: NOVEMBER MOVIE OF THE MONTH: The Emperor Waltz

I don't know if it wass intentional or not, but it feels like Bing's character was turned up to 11 on the usual persona. For example, Blue Skies' Bing, while featuring all of the traits of Bing's character here, is a much more mellow character. Whether this was intentional or not, I think it definitely makes me like it more with just how expressive he is in this.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

19/10/2021 1:07 pm  #3

I think Bing was quoted as saying is he did that on purpose, and I don't feel the louder and more aggressive persona worked for Bing too much.

19/10/2021 7:01 pm  #4

I think it works in the context of this movie, but it weren’t for the context I don’t think it would work nearly as well.

28/10/2021 6:47 pm  #5

I plan to watch this movie this weekend, but I do have to say I love the title song. It is one of my favorite Bing recordings and really an underrated gem.

03/11/2021 4:16 pm  #6

So I watched The Emperor Waltz finally. I used to think what was wrong with the film was Bing having a more aggressive personality. However, it is not that too much over the top. I feel what is lacking in the movie is chemistry between Joan Fontaine and Bing. They did not seem to mesh well.

Bing had wanted Deanna Durbin or even Greta Garbo! 

What makes the movie great is the music!

03/11/2021 4:18 pm  #7

My favorite song from The Emperor Waltz:

The song was even features on Saturday Night Live in the 1980s in a serious skit. It's a beautiful song!

03/11/2021 10:32 pm  #8

Lobosco wrote:

I feel what is lacking in the movie is chemistry between Joan Fontaine and Bing. They did not seem to mesh well.

At least with the movie's I've seen her in, she hasn't had too great of chemistry. Part of it is, I think, is that her characters' continuously estrange themselves from the stars.

I also think part of it is that, the mood on the set wasn't the greatest, as there had been stories, I am not sure of the truth of them, that it wasn't the best behind scenes with Bing and Billy Wilder. Apparently though Joan Fontaine's appearance on Bing's TV they had much better chemistry.

07/11/2021 2:55 am  #9

And it was during the filming that Bing won the Totem Pole Golf Tournament at Jasper Park Lodge.
Have you seen the photo of Bing and the black bear outside the Pro shop.
Inside the Lodge there are a couple of photos of Bing on display.
I believe Bing promised his caddy a new suit for any birdies that he had. Think he had to buy two new suits. He birdied the 18th when he was very close to a tree at the back of the green.

07/11/2021 12:16 pm  #10

Archiefit wrote:

I haven't seen the video of Emperor Waltz yet but some here have talked about Bing's over aggressive style being off putting.  Now I can't comment on it in this movie but I can say having just watched "Welcome Stranger" that Bing was really overly aggressive in this movie.  Talk about not taking a hint, he just keeps on moving in no matter how obvious the rebuffs.  This might all be just a matter of today's ever so sensitive feewings about men being men instead of cream puffs.   I like the days better when men were men and women were glad of it.

I think by 1947/148 Bing had played "Bing" so many times, that he was looking for different angles for his characters in movies. I liked Welcome Stranger and I liked The Emperor Waltz more than I thought I would, but I did not care for Bing and Joan Fontaine as love interests. Now Bing and Joan Caulfield were another story...for another time!

08/11/2021 6:45 pm  #11

Ron Field wrote:

And it was during the filming that Bing won the Totem Pole Golf Tournament at Jasper Park Lodge.
Have you seen the photo of Bing and the black bear outside the Pro shop.
Inside the Lodge there are a couple of photos of Bing on display.
I believe Bing promised his caddy a new suit for any birdies that he had. Think he had to buy two new suits. He birdied the 18th when he was very close to a tree at the back of the green.

It was the following year that Bing won the Totem Pole Golf Tournament.

08/11/2021 7:22 pm  #12

Here is an interesting "what if" question...

Do you think the movie would be viewed differently today if Greta Garbo would have starred in it?

22/11/2021 2:23 pm  #13

Great review of the movie! 

Board footera