24/7/2021 5:33 pm  #1

The Big Broadcast

David Duncan has prepared an excellent professional review of Bing's first full-length film which is well-worth watching You can see it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsTP7J2X7u0

25/7/2021 1:57 am  #2

Re: The Big Broadcast

I think so too.

There are a lot of interesting information in this video and the movie itself is really beautiful. I like Bing's song in it, expecially "Here Lies Love". But it will be fair to say that "Please" is a great hit and I like it too.))

Thanks a lot for sharing David Duncan's review, Malcolm!

Last edited by Tom Joe Mortel (25/7/2021 2:01 am)

12/8/2021 6:15 am  #3

Isn't David's production excellent and he's done some others (non-Bing) also.

15/8/2021 11:22 am  #4

Very interesting!

14/11/2021 8:48 am  #5

David has prepared another episode about Bing's films. Go to Bing Crosby - The Hollywood Years. Episode 1 - 1933 - YouTube

23/3/2022 6:39 pm  #6

These are indeed wonderful episodes. Has there ever been an official DVD release of "The Big Broadcast of 1932"?

15/7/2022 9:13 am  #7

Hi Ian,
No there has never been an official DVD release of The Big Broadcast which is hard to understand. It’s such a good time capsule of the past capturing the famous radio stars of the early 1930s along with it being Bings first feature film. It was restored recently (a couple of years ago now) and had a screening in the US but it’s frustrating that Universal (who hold the rights) haven’t released it. We can only hope that it will be sometime in the very near future. 

15/7/2022 9:32 am  #8

Thanks, David.

It is such a shame that Universal hasn't yet released this. I realise in today's world and in the grand scheme of things, with increasingly few exceptions, black and white films from Hollywood's golden age are inevitably retreating from the mainstream with each successive generation -  along with commercially produced "hard copies"

It's always to some degree (particularly since the advent of Rock 'n' Roll) been the way with popular culture, hasn't it -  and yet one can experience with ever increased interest to classical culture without ever once being accused of antiquity.

I have noticed just now, there's a so-so looking copy of the entire film that's been posted on to YouTube -  but I'll hold off for now in the hope my debut viewing of this might one day be the restored version. Thank goodness for people such as you, who through your own excellent works, keep the flame burning. 

15/7/2022 9:34 am  #9

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

David has prepared another episode about Bing's films. Go to Bing Crosby - The Hollywood Years. Episode 1 - 1933 - YouTube

Thanks. Malcolm - another treat to look forward to.

Board footera