23/5/2021 6:57 am  #1

Other vocalists sing of Bing

As we know, the lyrics of many  popular songs include a reference to Bing. I just heard a recording by Al Bowlly which does that but Al interpolated something I'd not heard before: 'direct from Crosby we give it to you' I believe the recording was made in 1940 with Jimmy Messene's orchestra. I wonder what Johnny Burke thought of that.

24/5/2021 6:49 am  #2

Re: Other vocalists sing of Bing

Graham Pascoe wrote:

As we know, the lyrics of many  popular songs include a reference to Bing. I just heard a recording by Al Bowlly which does that but Al interpolated something I'd not heard before: 'direct from Crosby we give it to you' I believe the recording was made in 1940 with Jimmy Messene's orchestra. I wonder what Johnny Burke thought of that.

Graham,  You're referring to "Only Forever" sung as a duet with Jimmy Messene, with both playing guitars. There's no orchestra there. One of Al's last recordings and complete with Crosby "boo-boo-boo" imitations.

24/5/2021 8:47 am  #3

One of my favourite Bing references in song is in the French version of 'These Foolish Things' - 'Ces Petites Choses' - as recorded by French crooner Jean Sablon. '...ce doux refrain d'amour que Crosby chante...' ('...the tender love song sung by Crosby...') followed by a few 'boo-boo-boos'! Incidentally, Sablon recorded 'Ces Petites Choses' in 1936, and it always amazes me that even then  - a year before Bing's first million-seller and a few years before the mega-stardom of the war years - he is still referenced in a recording aimed at the French market!

17/6/2021 7:26 am  #4

Thanks Richard for putting me tight on the Jimmy Messene accompaniment. Earlier this week I was listening to my radio and heard yet another song with a reference to Bing which I'd not heard before but I'm blowed if I can recall wha.ht it was.

Board footera