New members are ALWAYS welcomed. If you are having any problems signing up or logging into the board, please contact me at davidlobosco@yahoo.com.
THE "RENT" FOR THIS BOARD HAS NOW BEEN PAID THROUGH October 22, 2026.
Offline
Offline
I enjoyed that. That confected rivalry between Bing and Bob was so entertaining and provided such scope for publicity in an era when it worked. Would it work today?
Offline
Graham Pascoe wrote:
I enjoyed that. That confected rivalry between Bing and Bob was so entertaining and provided such scope for publicity in an era when it worked. Would it work today?
It certainly was, Graham. I still laugh when I see or hear both of them humorously digging at each other's fortunes during archive solo interviews. Bing always matches Bob line for line with the quality of his swift responses. I think you may well be right that in this present age of instant offence, demanded apologies and social media, such a "feud" may not work today.
Some of the Monty Python members would also often indulge in a bit of good natured leg pulling of the others during lone interviews, as would Paul Newman and Robert Redford and far later, UK writer-comedians Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant (before their seemingly deliberate parting of the ways). But certainly nothing to the wonderful extent of Bob and Bing.
The nearest (albeit still past) great example that springs to mind is of the constant running joke between the legendary and much beloved UK comedy double act (and other Christmas favourites), Morecambe & Wise and the singing of their fellow UK entertainer and friend, the fairly recently gathered Des O'Connor.
Last edited by Ian Kerstein (24/2/2022 11:08 pm)