13/10/2020 3:34 pm  #1

White Christmas

Today and Thursday I’m going to try to get a class I’m in to watch White Christmas, which for many in the class will be their first time. It works in 2 ways we’re watching it right around it’s 66th Anniversary of the premiere on October 14th, and of course many of you know the other important event on October 14th. I will let you all know if I can get them to watch it and what they think.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

14/10/2020 1:50 am  #2

Re: White Christmas

Holiday Inn I think had a better story line. My kids (they are 7 and 10) like Holiday Inn much more than White Christmas - the colorized version of Holiday Inn they like the best.

Either way, good luck!

Last edited by Lobosco (14/10/2020 1:51 am)

14/10/2020 8:14 pm  #3

I think I enjoy HI better than WC.
While both Fred and Danny were pains in their attitudes I think Danny was worse.

14/10/2020 8:53 pm  #4

I would have brought Holiday Inn, but with the Abraham scene I decided against it.

24/11/2020 1:35 am  #5

I completely forgot about this thread, but I did not forget the reactions. Of course there were a few kids on their phones and not paying attention, however most of the class not on their phones liked it.

10/3/2022 1:52 am  #6

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

I completely forgot about this thread, but I did not forget the reactions. Of course there were a few kids on their phones and not paying attention, however most of the class not on their phones liked it.

Oh, that's so sweet. I love the easy charm of this film. It's so nice many of your youngsters were perhaps thinking the same.  And may all our Christmases be white!

10/3/2022 2:03 am  #7

Lobosco wrote:

Holiday Inn I think had a better story line. My kids (they are 7 and 10) like Holiday Inn much more than White Christmas - the colorized version of Holiday Inn they like the best.

Either way, good luck!

Yes, David. Although a complete devotee of White Christmas, I do agree that overall, Holiday Inn is by quite a way, the better film. It seems far more of a tighter film and plot and perhaps more convincingly romantic in places than sentimental? Plus the presence of my other favourite, Mr Astaire - helps an awful lot. His mind boggling "Say It With Firecrackers" solo dance routine has to be seen to believed! I must confess though, I'm of the Orson Welles/Jimmy Stewart black and white purist brigade.

Last edited by Ian Kerstein (10/3/2022 2:09 am)

10/3/2022 2:10 am  #8

Ron Field wrote:

I think I enjoy HI better than WC.
While both Fred and Danny were pains in their attitudes I think Danny was worse.

Yes, Danny was always far broader in his approach and natural style, wasn't he? 

Board footera