28/11/2010 8:55 pm  #1

A Southern Memoir

Of all the new issues in this latest great batch by the BCE, I believe that I am most excited for A Southern Memoir. It is one of my favorite of Bing's later records. The only CD version I had was a copy made for me years ago. I love this album and can't wait to here it on a commercial CD!

I managed to order a copy online at Deep Discount for $8.77, which includes shipping! They have a sale going on now!

Last edited by Lobosco (28/11/2010 8:55 pm)

29/11/2010 12:25 pm  #2

Re: A Southern Memoir

Lobosco wrote:

Of all the new issues in this latest great batch by the BCE, I believe that I am most excited for A Southern Memoir. It is one of my favorite of Bing's later records. The only CD version I had was a copy made for me years ago. I love this album and can't wait to here it on a commercial CD!

David,

I agree it's a very entertaining record, and even though the orchestral accompaniment is tiresomely (and tiringly)  'busy' at times, Bing surmounts it comes through very well, though I hope that you are not overlooking the other records that Bing made in those years 1975-77, several of which I personally would feel are the real jewels.

Incidentally the track on the new CD which I find amongst the most entertaining was not on the original issue at all, though recorded at the time, privately for friends. It is 'Bing's South Texas Quail Hunting Medley' parodies on five songs, written by Bing himself, superbly displaying his way with words and making all manner of references to those same friends, the real implications of which most can only guess at.

30/11/2010 7:22 pm  #3

My copy has just arrived at my desk here at work! It has been delayed due to a screw up with CCM. But I finally have my copy of this long-sought-after recording. My birthday is this weekend and I shall wait and play this then as it is a treasured present!

....Comments to follow

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

02/12/2010 12:33 am  #4

Happy Birthday, Paul!

Crosby fans are our favourite people!

02/12/2010 5:35 pm  #5

Thanks Tommy, it's officially tomorrow. It will be a nice weekend.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

05/12/2010 9:24 pm  #6

Richard Baker wrote:

Lobosco wrote:

David,

I agree it's a very entertaining record, and even though the orchestral accompaniment is tiresomely (and tiringly)  'busy' at times, Bing surmounts it comes through very well, though I hope that you are not overlooking the other records that Bing made in those years 1975-77, several of which I personally would feel are the real jewels.

Incidentally the track on the new CD which I find amongst the most entertaining was not on the original issue at all, though recorded at the time, privately for friends. It is 'Bing's South Texas Quail Hunting Medley' parodies on five songs, written by Bing himself, superbly displaying his way with words and making all manner of references to those same friends, the real implications of which most can only guess at.

I agree with you 100%. I think Bing was in fine voice for the whole album and the choice of songs are great. Personally, my all time favorite record of Bing from the post 1974 period is his Feels Good, Feels Right album. I loved every song on that album...even the three deleted ones!

05/4/2011 10:18 pm  #7

I just won an allegedly NM LP copy of this rare gem on ebay for an incredibly low price! I cannot WAIT to have it in my hands and play such a rare piece of latter day Crosby history! 

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

14/4/2011 6:29 pm  #8

I received the LP today (along with another gem "Bing Viejo" discussed seperately) and it indeed looks beautifully well-preserved. I enjoy the CD reissue of it so much that it is an honor and priviledge to now also own a copy of such a limitedly released album!

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

Board footera