03/10/2020 8:39 pm  #1

That's What Life Is All About Overdubbing Session

I was looking at some LP releases and found out about Broadway Intermission's Just For Fun Take Two release with an overdubbing session take for That's What Life Is All About and and alternate takes for a few of the Bing and Fred duets on the A Couple Of Song and Dance Men album. Does anyone have any info about these?

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

03/10/2020 11:16 pm  #2

Re: That's What Life Is All About Overdubbing Session

I'm not certain quite what information you might expect, "MBF", but I'll attempt to make a start. 
As is usual with recording sessions, those you pinpoint  were the subject of false starts, run throughs, discarded takes, and just possibly it might be said that Fred was a little demanding than Bing. Anyway, extended tape recordings of several of the 1975 recording sessions (not just those with Fred) "escaped captivity".

I am aware of versions of the sessions in February 1975 and July 1975.
The LP you mention (details of which I must admit I did not have but which I have found on Discogs) clearly includes some of those tracks.

https://www.discogs.com/Bing-Crosby-Just-For-Fun-Take-Two/release/11872048

Corrected to omit some sessions originally mistakenly listed.

Last edited by Richard Baker (04/10/2020 7:55 am)

04/10/2020 1:51 am  #3

I was more asking because of the overdub part, and if there are any CDs or place online I can find this rarity? I ask because I always love to hear the behind the scenes of a recording much with the C’est Si Bon Session takes on the Holiday In Europe release.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

04/10/2020 6:58 am  #4

I'm not sure how much is included on the LP you mention but the session includes several attempts at "That's What Life Is All About".
Quite a bit of dialogue, particularly between Bing and Ken Barnes and some humour (Bing sings "and now I think I've got the gout").
There is piano and rhythm live with Bing and the orchestra can be heard on tape starting and stopping. 
I'm not aware of any CD issues or internet sources. There could be "rights" issues about wider circulation of such relatively recent material. 

04/10/2020 5:59 pm  #5

I have been gently reminded that the three CD set Bing Crosby - The Complete United Artists Sessions and the matching Fred Astaire - Complete London Sessions each contain "Session Sound Bites" with clips of rehearsals or failed attempts from the Astaire and Crosby sessions for UA in London.
Bing's set includes clips from Send In the Clowns and Great Day with other very brief snatches and Fred's has Roxie (blow up) and brief snatches from several others including Top Billing.

Board footera