16/3/2020 7:40 pm  #1

"The Complete Bing Crosby: A 10th Anniversary Collection" 3-LP set?

I just acquired this set. I'm delighted to discover that the records are pristine and sound great, but I have a question for those who've known this set of recordings since it came out:

Was there some kind of insert that included in-depth information about the tracks?

Mine has no insert, and no printing on the individual record sleeves, which are plastic (possibly not the originals, but I don't know for sure). There is very little info beyond the track titles on the back album cover. 

I've had a middle tape from the cassette tape edition for several years, but it is nice to hear the entire collection.

16/3/2020 11:17 pm  #2

Re: "The Complete Bing Crosby: A 10th Anniversary Collection" 3-LP set?

Steve,

The set was issued in UK by Warwick Records and included a single LP sized folded sheet ie 4 pages,

The front was in white print on black bacground (Ugh!) with a half page photo of Bing, Ken Barnes and Pete Moore, plus two smaller pics of Bing at earlier points in his life. Pages 2 and 3 contained notes of a general sort about the songs or more specifically the three types of songs covered by the three discs. the fourth page consisted of song lists, composers, instrumentalists and recording info. There is not a great deal of info specific to individual songs.
I assume something similar would have been included in the US issue.
I have enlarged on this in a personal note to you.

22/5/2020 6:41 am  #3

Is this one of the releases on CD and is it official? I found it online for a great price, but I want to make sure this is the official one and the right one. 

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

22/5/2020 1:43 pm  #4

"ModernBingFan"

The cover of the CD you have found is the same as the sleeve of the three LP issue from Silver Eagle in North America (Canada, I think) in 1987. That issue was official. I believe there was a parallel CD issue.

(But then two recent LPs originating in Russia had sleeves that were precise replicas of the original issues, and they were not official so that in itself is not a 100% reliable guide!). 

22/5/2020 4:00 pm  #5

Thank you for clarifying, now I am just contacting the seller to make if I ordered I would be getting all 3 CDs.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

25/5/2020 7:02 am  #6

Archiefit, the box you illustrate was used for by Warwick Records for their release of all three formats at the time - Three LPs ("Direct Metal Mastered"), or 3 cassettes or 3 CDs held in place by suitable shaped card inserts.

There were no inserts in the CDs and cassettes and the LPs had plain covers, so all three issues had the same LP sized insert with track list and notes. I suppose it saved on costs but it does make storage a little out of line with the rest of most collections. 

I have never seen the Silver Eagle issue so cannot enlarge on details of it, though I was aware of it.

Board footera