12/5/2020 9:00 am  #1

Colorization

https://youtube.com/watch?v=urLHU9kXxGA
I found a program that colorizes videos, and I made a few colonizations, although this one turned out the best so far.

Last edited by ModernBingFan0377 (12/5/2020 9:02 am)

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

12/5/2020 1:07 pm  #2

Re: Colorization

Looks good!

13/5/2020 4:18 am  #3

Yes, I think that it looks good. What program you used to made such things? Can you share this informatoion?

13/5/2020 4:53 am  #4

It's called DeOldifier, although it's a google notebook application type thing, it's a bit complicated, but it runs in web browser and there are a few tutorials on YouTube.

13/5/2020 4:59 am  #5

Ok, I'll try to understand as much as I can. Thank you very much, because it was also hard for me to make something black and white earlier, if it was colored as part of colored film and all my video in general should have been black and white. 

13/5/2020 9:38 am  #6

This is great! Lots of opportunities for the future.

13/5/2020 1:13 pm  #7

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=urLHU9kXxGA
I found a program that colorizes videos, and I made a few colonizations, although this one turned out the best so far.

Very good.

- - and for your next trick you will - - - - (how many B&W movies did Bing make?).
We await more interesting achievements.

13/5/2020 4:09 pm  #8

No doubt some films will look nice in colour but then others would be best to leave alone.
One that comes to mind immediately, and I haven’t seen it for donks, is Little Boy Lost to remain B & W. Probably Riding High as well-wish that was shown on TV.

13/5/2020 4:16 pm  #9

I feel that when colorizing movies, they should colorize the more lighthearted stuff like comedy or musicals as usually in dramas or action movies of the time they take more advantage of black and white, whereas Holiday Inn for instance looks like it should be a color film a lo of the time.

19/5/2020 3:27 pm  #10

Candidates for colourisation in the "Road" films would be first "Road To Morocco" I suggest.  "Road To Rio" another perhaps?   There is one scene early on in the film which might face objections today (the simple-minded person & the speech defect market scene).   The same kind of thing arises in "Holiday Inn" with the blacking-up scene. The following appears on the Web:

"........It also doesn’t tell us whether TCM has been right to show Holiday Inn in its entirety, or whether AMC has been right to cut out the “Abraham” number. Me, I watch Holiday Inn on a DVD with the complete film. That DVD also contains a colorized version. I have never watched the colorized version and I never will, because I like watching the film as it was originally conceived, the good and the bad. “Abraham” is a bad part. It isn’t even a particularly good song. I’m just not sure that we move forward by pretending that song, and that America, never happened....."

In recent years, there indeed was the special edition of the 1942 "Holiday Inn" film (Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire) that was successfully colourised, also Tyrone Power and Linda Darnell in the "Mark of Zorro" (1940). Some years before, "Jailhouse Rock" (MGM 1958), Elvis's third film, was colourised for a special video boxset (not DVD in those days).    I read that Orson Welles inserted a clause in his will (I think it was) pleading that Ted Turner not be allowed to turn "Citizen Kane" into a colour movie - this was considered legally when it was pointed out that the original contract was to provide a "black & white" movie!

20/5/2020 9:43 am  #11

Fascinating subject. Does anyone colourise photos and which app or software do you use?

20/5/2020 10:00 am  #12

John Turner wrote:

Fascinating subject. Does anyone colourise photos and which app or software do you use?

I think, John that your answer is at the very start of this thread. The software is "DeOldifier" and it caters for stills and movies apparently. I have been sent a couple of samples and you can see the result of ModerBingFan's work by following his link.

There are other software programmes for colouring still photos.

An internet search on "image colorizing software" brings up quite a number including this review of five free applications. https://medium.com/@photoj/colorize-black-and-white-photos-free-ed5b36f1efe5 

20/5/2020 1:28 pm  #13

Richard Baker wrote:

John Turner wrote:

I think, John that your answer is at the very start of this thread. The software is "DeOldifier" and it caters for stills and movies apparently. I have been sent a couple of samples and you can see the result of ModerBingFan's work by following his link.

There are other software programmes for colouring still photos.

An internet search on "image colorizing software" brings up quite a number including this review of five free applications. https://medium.com/@photoj/colorize-black-and-white-photos-free-ed5b36f1efe5 

Thanks Richard!

22/5/2020 1:47 am  #14

Dear Archiefit,

I got a surprise to read your posting of the 20th May that "CASABLANCA" has been colourised!  I immediately went to check on what is available via Google/Amazon/E-Bay but noticed that the reviews of some versions say that an inferior print was used, or the sound is poor or the picture is not sharp.

Another review suggests that an earlier colourisation process was used.

Is this an official Warner Bros. product?  If so, please do you have a reference (date, single or double boxset, etc) so that the best version can be identified.  I saw a short scene in colour on the Web with Peter Lorre but it looks to have a rather yellow/orange tint (a bit like fake tan!).

22/5/2020 6:26 am  #15

My Heritage I believe is able to colourise old photos. Interesting to see great great grandparents in colour

23/5/2020 1:38 am  #16

Dear Archiefit,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply and information.

When I got Elvis's "Jailhouse Rock" colourised version of the 1957 film on VHS and by MGM/UA Home Video - that was 28 years ago in 1992, but I have never seen a Dvd colourised version of the film.  The film I really would love to see of Elvis's in colour is "King Creole" (1958).  Elvis's second film "Loving You" (1957) was in glorious colour as originally released.

I am going to check again what Dvd versions of "Casablanca" in colour are available to purchase and read again what people have said in their reviews though sometimes the reviews get bundled together for different versions! 

Your videotape version has a lovely cover. I presume that it is in PAL (not NTSC).

Thanks again.

23/5/2020 1:46 pm  #17

Thank you very much Archiefit.  I see that you live in America.  My grandmother was born in Memphis, Tennessee (but I didn't know her).  A cousin (who I once met in London about 40 years ago when my mother was alive) was a District Attorney in California and his father (my uncle) who moved to California when he was quite young was the editor of a newspaper (San Fernando?).

I currently have a Sony DVD Player that accepts NTSC discs and I think a video box that converts NTSC tapes to PAL somewhere stored away, but I've forgotten how that works!

Maybe one day, we will have an official DVD release as with Bing Crosby & Fred Astaire's "Holiday Inn". As I recall, "Blue Skies" was made in colour.

Even if someone clever colourised just the songs from Bing, Bob & Dorothy's "Road" films prior to "Road To Bali" (1952), this would be nice.  Bing's scene in "Road To Morocco" (1942) singing "Moonlight Becomes You" to Dorothy also the opening song.  Of course, I'd love to see Dorothy Lamour singing "Constantly", "You're Dangerous", "The Moon and the Willow", "Personality" and so on in colour.  See how nice "Moonflowers" is which was filmed in colour with all the colourful costumes and background.  It's also a shame that Peggy Lee (as good as she is) was apparently used in some commercial recordings replacing Dorothy Lamour, in my opinion rather spoiling the artistic integrity of the originally assembled filmstars.  As Ron noted in an earlier posting, perhaps Dorothy was not always treated quite as well as she deserved for commercial reasons.

24/5/2020 6:41 am  #18

Archiefit wrote:

I'm not a collector of Dorothy Lamour records, but my guess is she must have been on a different label other than Decca,

Most of her recordings (and there were not many) through the 30s and 40s were on RCA Bluebird, so that seems to be a likely assumption, but oddly in 1944 there was a collection on Decca of eight Hawaiian songs on four shellac 78s, which were later issued on an LP. 

By the 50s she does not seem be tied to any regular label.

Board footera