20/4/2020 1:37 pm  #1

Vivian Blaine - The Last Round Up

Anyone remember Vivian Blaine (1921-1995)? She was a much better singer that she was given credit for. I can't believe she sang a Bing number. Bing's version of "The Last Round Up" was made in 1933. This version by Vivian Blaine was recorded in 1956...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6MhZPyisgw

20/4/2020 7:18 pm  #2

Re: Vivian Blaine - The Last Round Up

Thanks for posting that, David. I’d certainly never heard it before...

I suppose Vivian Blaine is best remembered nowadays as the original “Miss Adelaide” in the original Broadway and London productions of “Guys and Dolls”, and the subsequent movie version, co-starring with Sinatra, Marlon Brando and Jean Simmons.

21/4/2020 12:42 am  #3

Don’t care too much for that. Voice a bit high.

23/4/2020 2:06 am  #4

jeremyrose wrote:

Thanks for posting that, David. I’d certainly never heard it before...

I suppose Vivian Blaine is best remembered nowadays as the original “Miss Adelaide” in the original Broadway and London productions of “Guys and Dolls”, and the subsequent movie version, co-starring with Sinatra, Marlon Brando and Jean Simmons.

Yeah that is what I most know her from too, but a decade earlier she looked totally different in State Fair (1945) with Dick Haymes. Vivian Blaine changed her looks a lot. She was a much better singer than she is given credit for.

02/5/2020 5:29 am  #5

I don't recall hearing any of her records before although I did see the movie version of Guys and Dolls. I thought she sang 'The Last Round-up' satisfactorily but with little feeling.

02/5/2020 5:06 pm  #6

State Fair is a favourite of mine because of Jeanne Crain. There was even a song in it that mentioned some singers and she liked Bing and a take-off of Bing singing, in the song there was also reference to Ronald Colman, whom I’m named after.
In 2003 I visited a couple of South American countries and I think it was in Bolivia going from the airport to La Paz, there was an old DC3 parked on the airport outskirts and on the tail was a painting of Jeanne Crain.

22/5/2020 6:10 am  #7

In the late 1940s I fell in love with Jeanne Crain when i saw her in State Fair. As for 'The Last Round Up', Bing's recording had special significance for Australians. Brunswick (Australia) went out of business in 1931 and n0  new Crosby records were released here in 1932 or 1933. In March 1934 that changed and some of Bing's and other Brunswick artists' records were released on the Columbia label. The Last Round Up', backed by 'Did You Ever See a Dream Walking' was one of them. How did Aussies respond. It remained in the catalogue until 1955.

Board footera