18/3/2020 10:44 pm  #1

Audio experimentations

I found a site that'll separate vocals and instrumentals and I've done some experiments.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

19/3/2020 1:29 am  #2

Re: Audio experimentations

This reminds me of something I tried to do about 20 years ago.   I created a duet "record" of Bing & Nat King Cole singing "Christmas Song" together.   I did this long before the day of computer help or editing.  I did it all with a mixer a tape recorder a CD player and a tape player all mixed together.    It was one of the most difficult things I tried to do.  It took literally 6 hours to create a perfect duet sound of a 3 minute song.  Getting Bing & Nat to sync up with each other as they would sing the chorus of the song was the most difficult part.   I remember sometimes Bing would sing a little faster the words and other times Nat would sing the words a little faster, so over and over I'd record the same passage hitting the pause on one singer till the other singer caught up to the next word sung then quickly release the pause on the first singer when 2nd singer caught up.   The one thing I wasn't able to do was eliminate the background music of Bing's record so I only used the Bing recording sound when Bing was actually singing I didn't use the instrumental portions of the Bing record.   I liked the Nelsonn Riddle backing much more than the BIng instrumental backing.  I created about 30 bits of recordings of each passage sung together and then pieced them all together to create one smooth sounding recording.   I memorized that song and every instrumental passage in it over and over before I was thru. 

I was even then not satisfied with just one duet version I then did a reverse version of the duet I just created.  Everytime I had Bing sing by himself a lyric in one version I then used Nat to sing that lyric all by himself in my 2nd version of the duet and vicey versey thruout.   The only tape parts I could use in both duet versions was the portions I had created of Bing & Nat synced up together for the chorus and the instrumental bits in between singing.   So in the end I had 2 alternate versions of my Bing & Nat duet of Christmas Song.   I wish I could post an Mp3 here of the results, I really did get them synced up together when they sang the chorus of the song together.  It was great, but still not perfect since I couldn't eliminate the background orch. of Bing's record but still very good if I do say so myself.   But it did take all afternoon.

Another time I did something similar and created a duet version of Bing & Judy Garland singing Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas using both of their recordings and combining them and once again syncing up both vocals when they sang the chorus of the song. 

Sounds nuts, I guess, but it was fun in spite of the work involved.   I guess you can mark this up to the madness of a collector wanting the perfect dream record.

Last edited by Archiefit (19/3/2020 1:37 am)

19/3/2020 2:42 am  #3

Oh I'd love to hear those.

Speaking of editing the Christmas Song reminds me of this edit they did for Sinatra's 80th birthday. Combining Nat and Frank's vocals and combining Nelson Riddle's and Gordon Jenkin's arrangements in a way that works surprising well.

Although now they we've divulged into Christmas duets in March, although with the current state with the pandemic the warmness of Christmas makes things better in a way, the perfect duets to me are Bing and Frank's from Happy Holidays From Bing and Frank.

23/3/2020 3:34 am  #4

Wow, some great duets and then I couldn't resist watching Bing, Frank and Dean sing 'Style'.

23/3/2020 4:00 pm  #5

Or them singing “Together”

Board footera