28/12/2019 6:36 am  #1

Hello from the midwest!

Hi, I'm probably the youngest one here, hence my name, I'm still in High School, and I got introduced to Bing a couple years back because I was looking for good Christmas music. Well, let's just say I really got to like his style of music, along with Sinatra's and others. I never was much a fan of modern music, that my come from my heritage, but I could be wrong. Over these couple years I've amassed a lot of Bing's stuff, music and movies. The cds I currently have are Through the Years Volume 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10, His Legendary Years Boxset, Complete United Artists Sessions, 20th Century Best of Bing Crosby Christmas, Bing At Christmas, Seasons, Complete Decca Christmas Songbook, Holiday In Europe, Bing With A Beat, and Robin and the 7 Hoods. I've also gained some of his records too such as Bing's Musical Autobiography, But Beautiful and BLue Skies from Bing's Hollywood series, The Small One/The Happy Prince, Seasons, Bing Crosby A Legendary Performer, Crosby Classics, The Best of Bing, La-Z-Boy exclusive Songs of Christmas, and of course Merry Christmas. I'm not going to even begin to list all the movies of his I have.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

28/12/2019 6:38 am  #2

Re: Hello from the midwest!

And I just forgot to add it, I run the Crosby fan YouTube account, ModernBingFan0377!

29/12/2019 1:06 am  #3

Welcome! I used to be the youngest fan - way back in 1990 when I joined the Bing Crosby fan club, but I am 45 now! Welcome! 

If I can assist you in your collection in any way, private message me!

29/12/2019 1:27 am  #4

Why thank you, in fact, I've read your blog a lot, and even commented a few times. I even trie to start a blog of reviews although I haven't gotten around to writing more reviews only one and my reviewing methodology has changed since then as well.

29/12/2019 2:07 am  #5

I also have an LP of two of Bing's Christmas songs, personally a guilty pleasure of Bing's albums is Thoroughly Modern, it may not be his best material wise, but he sounds like he's having fun, which can't stop me from smiling.

29/12/2019 2:24 am  #6

Archiefit wrote:

...My only real suggestion to you now is to listen to the shows that won me over, the Philco Radio Time broadcasts, they are terrific.   So are the Chesterfield and GE shows of the '50's, but a good start would be Philoc.   Here's where you can find them (boy I wish it was this easy back in the '70's, I had to tape and buy these things one at a time on cassette), well here's to spoiling the new guy, listen and enjoy:
http://otrrlibrary.org/b.html

I Know you suggested the Philco shows and I will listen to them after this show, but I found a Kraft Music Hall one I'm listening to right now, this is a great website.

12/1/2020 12:59 am  #7

Here's another welcome, this time from an 85-year-old Aussie who may be the furtherest (is that a word?) - away from you if you live in the mid-west of USA. I'm in Bathurst, about 130 miles west of Sydney, which fortunately hasn't been significantly affected by the bushfires you may have heard about. In the early 1980s I met a young bloke from Sydney who was still in high school and he courageously started a Crosby club at his school. His club had forty members although he admitted that some of his school mates joined as a joke but it did get them talking about Bing.

12/1/2020 2:11 am  #8

That's pretty cool, I have a few online friends who I got to like Crosby. In my high school, I believe there wouldn't be a chance of anyone joining sadly.

13/1/2020 5:08 pm  #9

Welcome to the forum! I must say you have amassed a pretty impressive collection already! 

I have a pretty solid collection of Bing's mustic but there is still so much that I don't have, and a lot that isn't easy to get!

My best advice would be to look at the stuff that has (in the last few years) been re-released and grab it while it's still available and to help show that there is a market for more new product!

My other piece of advice, is really consider purchasing the Mosiac CBS Boxset - it's got a big price tag and I was resistent to spend that much money when there is so much other material to buy, but it really is an amazing collection of music and one I'm happy to have pulled the trigger on. 

14/1/2020 2:41 am  #10

Don’t worry I try to grab rereleases when I can. I want to be the CBS recordings sometime, I haven’t found on for sale yet though.

Board footera