08/7/2019 11:27 pm  #1

Bing Crosby and The Longines Symphonette recordings?

Hey everyone!

Today I discovered some of the recordings Bing made with the Longines Symphonette backings for the 1968 "The Songs I Love" box set, and they sound absolutely beautiful! I love the gorgeous string backing on some of them, its a setting that I've wanted to hear Bing in more than I have.

However, I've been searching online for some way to find the rest and outside of buying the vinyl boxset itself, I can't seem to find any other options. I'm not opposed to buying the box necessarily, but I'm really just interested in the Bing-vocal material. And my equipment isn't good enough to make a proper, high quality vinyl transfer to listen to digitally.

I'm not sure how asking for things like this is viewed on here but...is there anyone here who might be able to point me in the direction of a way to find the 36 vocal sides recorded for this project? Digitally, CD, mp3 files, anything? It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

09/7/2019 6:10 pm  #2

Re: Bing Crosby and The Longines Symphonette recordings?

All 36 Bing tracks were issued on an unofficial CD called Liilis, Love and a Little Covered Wagon. See http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/crosby1c.html

09/7/2019 10:50 pm  #3

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

All 36 Bing tracks were issued on an unofficial CD called Liilis, Love and a Little Covered Wagon. See http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/crosby1c.html

It will be hard to find but they do appear from time to time. It is a two CD set which also has the Crosby tracks from the two LP set "How The West Was Won" of 1959.
There is no identification of Bing on the cover. 

09/7/2019 11:43 pm  #4

Thanks so much for the tip. I'm searching all over the place to find this CD though and I'm having absolutely no luck...really frustrating. Any ideas on where to look or people who may have extra copies? I wish these were available digitally!

10/7/2019 12:10 pm  #5

Yes those Harry Lillis CDs are among my prized possessions. I don't believe they have been reissued but I could be wrong. Many of the CDs still have rarities on them, and I believe they were issued in the mid 1990s.

13/7/2019 11:44 pm  #6

Thanks everyone for the tips! I'll be keeping an eye out for the Harry Lillis CD...hopefully one will show up someday haha! I've found several great listings for the LP box set as well

Some good news, thanks to some asking around I found someone who was able to provide me an mp3 version of the 36 tracks, and I LOVE THEM. Big, lush orchestral arrangements and strings are some of my favorite backings, and these sound great with Bing. I had been hoping to someday find some recordings of ballads, etc. where he has just this type of orchestral backing and I'm so glad to hear these. Bing may sound a bit thin here and there but there is true gold on these tracks. I do think they could've been mixed a bit better, the orchestra has some nice natural reverb but Bing's voice is pretty dry and noticeably sits on top. Could've used a little reverberation, I think this dryness of the vocal tracks may contribute to the slight thin sound of his voice at times.

At any rate, getting to listen to these was an immense delight and will definitely speed up the process of buying the LP 100%!

28/12/2019 7:46 am  #7

I've been looking for the CD too as, even though I have the 1965 version of the set, it'd be nice to have on my computer.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

29/12/2019 1:08 am  #8

ModernBingFan0377 wrote:

I've been looking for the CD too as, even though I have the 1965 version of the set, it'd be nice to have on my computer.

I can supply you with a copy. Just private message me. 

29/12/2019 1:32 am  #9

Thank you, I just messaged you.

29/12/2019 2:48 am  #10

I do have Audacity, but there were two problems I've had with transferring songs, they sounded flat, and my record player is too far from my computer now.

29/12/2019 3:29 am  #11

the main problem is my computer being a tower one, and I've messed about in audacity before trying to make Bing's last TV performance of White Christmas more studio recording sounding it worked sort of.

12/5/2020 5:05 am  #12

I got the tracks from the albums from a very nice user here, and since there were a multitude of tracks, I made 3 12 track "albums." I'll post them here.

I Hear Music:
1. I Hear Music
2. That Old Gang Of Mine
3. I've Heard That Song Before
4. Coquette
5. Ol' Buttermilk Sky
6.  Sentimental Gentleman From Georgia
"Side Two"
7. Dance With A Dolly
8. River Stay 'Way From My Door
9. Ballin' The Jack
10. Rock A Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody
11. Say Si Si
12. Puttin' On The Ritz

I'll Take Romance
1. I'll Take Romance
2. Isn't This A Lovely Day
3. Marie
4. Remember
5. Always
6. South Of The Border
"Side Two"
7. In The Chapel In The Moonlight
8. Love Makes The World Go Round
9. Friendly Persuasion
10. Amapola
11. When My Sugar Walks Down The Street
12. Thank You For A Lovely Evening

This last "LP" that I made using these tracks has 4 parts telling a story of love and loss.

What'll I Do
Love and Admiration
1. There's Danger In Your Eyes, Cherie
2. My Prayer
3. Tenderly
Loss
4. Say It Isn't So
5. The Breeze And I
6. What'll I Do
Side Two
Bitterness and Remorse
7. One For My Baby
8. All Alone
9. How Come You Do Me Like You Do
Acceptance and Looking Back
10. Lonesome and Sorry
11. Stormy Weather
12. The Song Is Ended

I used all the tracks that Bing recorded for the Longines albums, so it was hard at times to get tracks to fit perfectly. Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by ModernBingFan0377 (12/5/2020 5:06 am)

Board footera