23/12/2019 8:47 pm  #76

Re: Bing and London Symphony Orchestra at Christmas

frans wrote:

- - - -
At 66 though, I may still have a lot of time. Looking at the age of the oldest people on the planet, I theoretically have over 50 more years to go!

Frans, you are clearly a born optimist!  A male of exact age 66 would have an average expectation of life of 17.54 years based on a sample of males in England over the period 2010 - 2012. It is probable that this may have improved a little since then, and there will be variations between countries, though not greatly within Europe.

24/12/2019 4:08 am  #77

I was not inclined to buy the new CD but after hearing a couple of tracks I was hooked. Publicity for the CD in Australia has put Bing back on the front page of our The Sydney Morning Herald. I can hardly believe it. Yippee!

24/12/2019 9:55 pm  #78

Richard Baker wrote:

Frans, you are clearly a born optimist!  A male of exact age 66 would have an average expectation of life of 17.54 years based on a sample of males in England over the period 2010 - 2012. It is probable that this may have improved a little since then, and there will be variations between countries, though not greatly within Europe. 

Hi Richard, yes, I confess: I like to accentuate the positive! Why go for the average in stead of aiming at the highest possible? Health depending, of course.

Just joking  ... On a more serious vein, I do use these sentences from time to time though, when people are adamant in telling me that children are the future and should take priority above anything (or anyone) else. For me, that is an unseemly discarding of people of other age groups. One age group is no better than the other and, despite different needs, should not receive priority over others, in my opinion (and only that).

28/12/2019 1:24 am  #79

The notes which accompany many of the Crosby CDs I have add to the pleasure they provide me. I love the selection of pictures which came with Bing At Christmas, especially the snapshot of Bing in the snow. The next two are intriguing. Would they be photos of the masters from the 1947 recordings? I wonder when the photos were taken and if it was the usual practice for Decca to take such photos. Where would those discs labelled LM4376 and LM4374 be now?

28/12/2019 7:19 am  #80

I'd have to say on this album I do prefer the versions of the songs recorded in the 40s better than the originals (if it were mixed better), but the ones that were taken from post-1960 aren't as good as the originals in the slightest. Even the Little Drummer Boy duet sounds the exact same. I can at least tell the difference on Merry Little Christmas, Winter Wonderland, and Do You Hear What I Hear. Though this release is good to being new fans in by having the recordings not sound so dated making Bing able to sing to modern audiences without them being distracted by the oldness of the recording.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

29/1/2020 7:32 pm  #81

I'm a bit late to this party, but I wasn't late to purchasing the CD, thanks to my still being on Malcolm's email list, despite my inactivity as a Bing discussant the last few years.  My wife and I ordered two copies, one for us and one for a friend's Christmas gift.

Perhaps I haven't listened to the album hypercritically, but I have found it rather a delightful experience -- even though I'm usually a rather stodgy "originalist" when it comes to music and other things.  I certainly don't think anyone should think of this new album as any sort of replacement for any of the original tracks we may know from studio recordings or from radio. I think it mainly should be regarded as a vehicle for letting new audiences hear him, or for listeners who have been away from Bing for decades, to hear him again.

Obviously, one might expect the orchestra, and sometimes back-up singers/choruses, to be much more forward in the mix, relative to Bing, than would have been heard in recordings of the 40s or 50s. Maybe because I knew the songs well enough, Bing being nestled deeper in the mix didn't keep me from hearing-and/or-knowing what he was singing.  And while I might not love all of the back-up singer arranging, most of it seemed pretty good to me, letting a little fresh air into the orchestrations,  As much as I appreciate the role of the Ken Darby Singers in some of the original versions of some of the songs -- they in fact tend to transport me back to childhood walks with my family through Christmas-decorated department stores, while Bing's carols streamed from 10-inch loudspeakers installed in the store ceilings -- I am a bit afraid that being subjected to listening to the Darby crowd continuously might wear the eardrum right out of most human beings. ;)   Alternate choral groups, or no choral back-up, can be a welcome alternative at times, especially if we can still go back to the Darby version when we want to.

I didn't start out as a fan of the Bowie/Crosby drummerboy song, but it has grown on me. Perhaps learning how unlikely it was to ever have been filmed or recorded (considering that Bowie couldn't stand the original Drummer Boy song and his alternate lyrics were written in the hour or so before he and Bing performed it for a TV special filming segment) has affected my appreciation.

My standard for a remix of a deceased vocalist with modern accompaniment is not one of those mentioned already in this thread.  It is the duet between Nat King Cole and his daughter Natalie Cole doing "Unforgetable."  While it could never replace Nat's classic original, it -- very deservingly -- became a classic in its own right. It is probably too early to know if any of this album's tracks has begun to move in that direction.  I don't know if any of these tracks were released as "singles" as the Nat/Natalie "Unforgetable" was.  I don't know if what we used to call "singles" even get released anymore for that matter. Maybe what gets the most likes on social media is what amounts to a single now.

If I took the time to compile my own list of tracks, for my own CD of favorite Crosby Christmas songs, I probably wouldn't include anything from this new CD.  I would probably only include originals. I probably would include some songs that others of you might not include, like the school song version of "Bells of St. Mary's" from the movie, the recording of "Snow" including Peggy Lee, and I might even conclude with "June in January" fading between the 1930s and 1970s versions as a coda to all of the other songs of the season. Still, I like this collection with the London Symphony Orchestra.  It is more Bing for people to listen to.  I think most people who get to hear it will think it sounds very good.  Some of them are going to get caught in the Bing fandom vortex, too, and want to listen to more and more Bing and want to learn more about Bing, too.

Last edited by Steve Fay (29/1/2020 7:40 pm)

22/5/2020 7:16 am  #82

This CD did well at leas ton iTunes from what I can tell and that makes me wonder, will they release another overdub like this whether Christmas or non-Christmas? They could easily make another Christmas one and it'd sell, but I wonder how well one would do of his hits. If they did a hits compilation or just a compilation, they should stick with the 40s and 50s, but beyond or mostly before should not be done. I'd say the most you could do where the tracks would possibly sound better than the originals would be to use maybe 1938-1957 as the track year basis'. Although most of his early performances are some of his best, taking the vocals out would yield a similar result to the bad sound on the vocals of White Christmas here.

Continuing on the idea of a non-Christmas comp, this would be the perfect time to actually update the arrangements. On the Bing At Christmas release they should've kept the main arrangement similar on most of the tracks, especially White Christmas, but on some the updates worked. On the Christmas CD as well all the recordings are iconic, so it's harder to change the arrangements without it being too noticeable. If they did a compilation of his 40s hits, it'd actually be a great time to update the arrangements, as not as, to the general public, iconic like the Christmas ones. I've thought about some tracks that would work good for a compilation, and I'll list them below, although it is only a rough order. If there were multiple recordings I'll specify which, or I'll specify if it's a radio version.

1. Stardust (1939? version)
2. San Fernando Valley
3. Road To Morocco
4. Sunday, Monday, Or Always (This one they could appropriately use a group like the Pentatonix for, or just finally add an orchestra to it.)
5. It's Been A Long, Long Time
6. Don't Fence Me In (a chance for a group like the Puppini Sisters to show up)
7. I Can't Begin To Tell You
8. I'll Be Seeing You
9. Around The World
10. Gone Fishin' (No real specific version for this one with Satchmo)
11. Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive (Another possible vehicle for the Puppini Sisters)
12. You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby
13. Swinging On A Star (A vehicle for a group like the Tenors to join in)
14. Where The Blue Of The Night (1945 version)

I was looking to the Bing At Christmas CD tracks for inspiration on how to sort and choose the tracks, but for a compilation of Bing 'standards.'

03/6/2020 5:15 am  #83

Modern Bing Fan, I love your suggestions for the Puppini Sisters singing with Bing. What a novelty that would be. I'd not heard of them until last month when Howard Leader played one of their records on his Sunday afternoon program. I reckon they'd also team well with Bing and Bob on 'Road to Morocco'.

03/6/2020 9:34 am  #84

Possibly another Christmas album, but I love the idea of a greatest hits with the orchestra, as they've done with Elvis, Buddy Holly etc. 

07/6/2020 1:02 am  #85

Graham Pascoe wrote:

Modern Bing Fan, I love your suggestions for the Puppini Sisters singing with Bing. What a novelty that would be. I'd not heard of them until last month when Howard Leader played one of their records on his Sunday afternoon program. I reckon they'd also team well with Bing and Bob on 'Road to Morocco'.

I modeled it after the Bing At Christmas CD, so I included groups like the Puppini Sisters and the Tenors as they were on the CD, so if you don't mind a listen of Jingle Bells or The Twelve Days Of Christmas from the Bing At Christmas CD, or you could use YouTube to find these version if you don't have the disc, you might be able to hear them. I say might because the Andrews Sisters vocals are still in those songs along with the Puppini Sisters.

Board footera