15/11/2019 2:57 pm  #26

Re: Bing and London Symphony Orchestra at Christmas

Since today, complete versions of several of the songs on the CD are available on YouTube: White Christmas (3 versions), Let it snow, It's beginning to look a lot like christmas, and Winter wonderland.

You can listen and see them here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BingCrosbyEnterprise/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

Three versions of White Christmas, you might think? There are only two on the CD ... But check out the third version here, if you like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOkyBqGw2Wg
I like it very much!

Last edited by frans (15/11/2019 2:57 pm)

26/11/2019 2:55 pm  #27

Interestingly, I see in the UK there is a listing for a vinyl version of this new Christmas release...however I have not seen the vinyl listed anywhere in North America. Has anyone seen a vinyl listing here in North America for this release? I thought there was only a CD or digital release of this new album.

Jeremy

27/11/2019 3:30 pm  #28

02:441/10/1951  It's Beginning To Look Like Christmas 02:4017/11/1952  Sleigh Ride 02:095/10/1962  Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! 02:5929/5/1942  White Christmas 02:341/10/1943  I'll Be Home For Christmas 02:3327/9/1943  Jingle Bells 02:525/10/1962  Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas 02:4621/10/1963  Do You Hear What I Hear? 02:5219/3/1947  The Christmas Song 02:3611/9/1977  The Little Drummer Boy / Peace On Earth 03:2110/5/1949  The Twelve Days Of Christmas 02:275/10/1962  Winter Wonderland 02:5219/3/1947  The Christmas Song 03:0119/3/1947  White Christmas 

I think, the list above (from the great website Jazzdiscography) ist not correct.

For the new "Let It Snow" they used the 1946-version.

And "Sleigh Bells" seems to be a different version than the usual one vom Nov. 17th, 1952.

Last edited by Freddy (27/11/2019 3:33 pm)

28/11/2019 7:39 am  #29

Archiefit, I think that the dates quoted are meant to precede the song titles, not as you have concluded, follow them.

28/11/2019 8:35 am  #30

The entry on jazzdiscography has now been updated following receipt of the CD.

30/11/2019 8:16 am  #31

30/11/2019 8:47 am  #32

That’s amazing..! Thank you, Richard. What a great start to a frosty Saturday here in Cambridgeshire!

30/11/2019 6:20 pm  #33

Really good news - or in the Christmas spirit - jolly good news and now we have a new wave of  Bing fans.
One can’t help thinking of how the family delayed keeping Bing in the eyes and ears of a generation or two - not like the Sinatra family keeping Frank up there although his star may now be behind the clouds but in the stores there appears to be more Sinatra CD’s than there are of Bing.
Jeremy, I head to Australia onMonday, so I might just pass a duty free shop, to boot. Although the ‘duty free’ shops in the US still seem to collect a tax, not like the UK or Australia.

02/12/2019 7:33 am  #34

02/12/2019 8:12 am  #35

A  very good review. One paragraph leapt out at me -  

"My one complaint about Bing At Christmas is the inclusion of modern guest artists. I get why the likes of The Puppini Sisters, The Tenors and Pentatonix are included here but the album really didn’t need them. Bing on his own is enough to pull people in and when you add The London Symphony Orchestra, everything after is just an unnecessary distraction. There’s nothing wrong with any of those songs but you can’t beat Bing singing on his own really can you?"

I agree 110%

02/12/2019 3:42 pm  #36

Just been on a weekly visit to my local supermarket. Like many others, at one time it used to have a goodly display of CDs, but more recently it has been restricting  the space to three racks no more than three feet wide with a vertical "featured" display above. This limits them to showing something like the top ten sellers with most of the remaining stock consisting of earlier top tens that have not yet sold. Most times I hardly recognise the names of the artists shown.  But today I had a surprise. Bing was sitting in pride of place in the centre of the feature. What's he doing there? Oh, wait a minute, he IS in the top ten!

What's more, whilst I paused to take in the sight, a shopper actually took a copy and popped it in her trolley.

02/12/2019 7:41 pm  #37

I have just watched an amazing plug for the new album on BBC 1’s prime-time evening magazine programme, “The One Show”. Mary-Frances was interviewed and although they didn’t play anything from the album, the cover was prominently displayed and there was a definite push from all concerned to get “White Christmas” to the number 1 spot in the charts for Christmas.
I NEVER watch “The One Show” but - luckily - my mother ‘phoned me to let me know! I got to it just in time and even managed to press the “record” button!

Did anyone know about this in advance?

How wonderful it would be if Bing were to top the charts more than 40 years after his passing...

Last edited by jeremyrose (02/12/2019 7:41 pm)

02/12/2019 8:53 pm  #38

Like you, Jeremy, I NEVER watch The One Show! Just like you, I received a telephone call 15 mins before the programme started from BING magazine editor Malcolm Macfarlane (who obviously knew in advance) to give me the ‘heads up’.

There was a nice contribution from Frank Skinner, too, regarding Bing’s comedy skills.

I have to say, I’m really enjoying the new album. I’m sure it will help open the door to Bing’s output for a lot of new listeners...

02/12/2019 11:35 pm  #39

For those in the UK The One Show is of course available on the BBC's catch up service.
The piece with Mary Crosby starts about 16 minutes in and although the topic appears to end at about 21 minutes they return to it later when they also show a snip of the shooting of "JR" in "Dallas"!. There is also a very brief mention of Bing and White Christmas at 12 minutes.
The very opening of the show has a very faint background of Bing's singing voice when they are announcing the later appearance of Mary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000byw1/the-one-show-02122019

03/12/2019 3:43 am  #40

I’m at Vancouver airport awaiting my flight to Sydney and can’t hook up as only for the UK.

03/12/2019 6:46 am  #41

Well, no CD’s available in Vancouver airport.
Looking at the ‘duty free’ shops, I think some items are cheaper on the high street.

03/12/2019 7:34 am  #42

I found about Mary Crosby being on The One Show about an hour before it was broadcast when I was checking the BBC site for Bing songs used in the last 7 days. Typically my email system was down so I couldn't bang out an email to ICC members but I phoned Jason as I guessed he might want to record it for showing at his Bing meeting on December 14. By the way, Mary will also be heard on the Good Morning Sunday show on Radio 2 on Dec. 22.

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (03/12/2019 7:35 am)

04/12/2019 5:29 pm  #43

Yet another bit of exposure on BBC TV. This time on the Breakfast Show at 9:05 today, 4th December.

Mary Crosby interviewed with clips of Bing in a variety of Christmas shows with Fred Astaire, the family and David Bowie.  

Mary seems to be working strenuously at present and has been popping up all over the place on UK radio and TV.

UK residents can pick up on the show here for 29 days. The piece is just over 3 hours in and takes up most of the tail end of the show.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000byyq/breakfast-04122019

And we get that clip of the shooting of JR again. 

Later correction. I'm sorry - most BBC programmes are available for a total of 30 days. This one apparently only for 24 hours, so it expires at 9:15 on 5 December. 

Last edited by Richard Baker (05/12/2019 7:28 am)

05/12/2019 1:20 pm  #44

I assume that all Crosby fans are pleased to see the "Bing at Christmas" CD in the charts. I realise that some people will prefer the originals but overall the new CD is a sensible and commercial way of relaunching Bing's Christmas songs to a more modern audience. Most of the reviews on Amazon UK are excellent but there are two bad ones which are reproduced below. I have just submitted a more balanced review and I'd be grateful if a few more people who have bought if from Amazon would do the same. If you don't like the CD, please keep your opinion to yourself this time. We want Bing top of the charts. 

1.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity [color=#555555 !important]25 November 2019[/color] As a long time Bing Crosby fan, and member of the Bing fan club, i was really looking forward to this release. Unfortunately i'm left very disappointed as the tracks have been very badly mixed with the new orchestrations, with the vocals over produced resulting in a very harsh electronic sound. What could have been an excellent CD is basically a let down. Shame on the producers for such a missed opportunity.[color=#767676 !important]9 people found this helpful[/color]Helpful

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful! [color=#555555 !important]27 November 2019[/color] Long time fan of Bing and have all his US Decca 78s and UK Brunswick's and even the most beat up Brunswick sounds better than this. Awful muddled sound with lots of added echo. I also remember the LSO long before they had to undertake projects like this to keep the wolf from the door. I shall stick with the Original recordings backed by the likes of John Scott Trotter, Paul Weston, Victor Young and many other fine musicians of the Crosby era. Those responsible for this should be ashamed, its quite awful, save your money.

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (05/12/2019 1:24 pm)

08/12/2019 12:03 pm  #45

Still in the charts, but down to No. 11 this week.

08/12/2019 12:06 pm  #46

I see that one of the adverse comments seems to have been removed.

09/12/2019 12:52 pm  #47

As a fan of Bing Crosby, I would never post a bad review. Any Bing is better than no Bing!

09/12/2019 7:57 pm  #48

Lobosco wrote:

As a fan of Bing Crosby, I would never post a bad review. Any Bing is better than no Bing!

Even if a CD cover gives incorrect track names or is badly recorded? Surely we need to be advised what to avoid? I can agree with you, David, on matters of personal taste but not when it comes to quality of reproduction/ presentation etc.

09/12/2019 8:22 pm  #49

I've added my ten (Euro)cents worth. Also asked the gentleman of the negative review on which equipment he played the cd. Muddled sound and echo... He couldn't have been playing the cd on his old Victrola now, couldn't he? No, he couldn't ... Or could he ...?
Just joking of course. This one negative review just underlines how well received the CD is by all other buyers.

09/12/2019 8:33 pm  #50

Richard Baker wrote:

Lobosco wrote:

Even if a CD cover gives incorrect track names or is badly recorded? Surely we need to be advised what to avoid? I can agree with you, David, on matters of personal taste but not when it comes to quality of reproduction/ presentation etc.

I'm not sure I would post it on Amazon unless it is a major flaw in the production of the CD. If I simply do not like the issue I would not comment.

I'm at the point in my collecting though that I rarely buy any Bing issue unless it is from Sepia or the BCE or a reputable source. Like I've said before, I miss the days of hunting flea markets and garage sales for new Bing!

Board footera