26/7/2019 7:14 pm  #76

Re: BEST OF BING CROSBY SPECIALS - TIME LIFE

I guess people actually got this.  It seems to have disappeared from Time-Life's website.  Does anyone know what happened?

Last edited by JoeDoakes (26/7/2019 7:14 pm)

21/4/2020 7:31 pm  #77

Reflecting I think that all of us who bought this set should receive our money back as the product was not very good at all. Very deceptive really and a big con job.
Those responsible for the compiling and scissor cutting should be really ashamed of themselves and all of us Bing fans that help keep Bing known to a newer generation should be treated a lot better.
One section I was really looking forward to was Bing and Perry.
The scissors weren’t used too cleverly either as the titles were run through at the end we never saw some of the guests that were supposed to be on weren’t seen at all.
I still have one DVD to look at.

22/4/2020 12:20 am  #78

For instance TIme Life issued some Dean Martin roasts, but they cut out a lot of stuff including some of the best jokes from the roasts, and they didn't even include one of the most famous episodes.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

22/4/2020 12:31 am  #79

At one time I had hoped to buy the set, even with the shredding of the contents. I'm not even sure if I do now though, unless I either find a cheap deal for them online, or they release some of the discs that were made for the set specifically for 10-20 dollars like the current TV Specials Volumes 1 & 2 are at price wise. The only TV specials I have in my collection are the ones from the TV Specials Volume 1 & 2 DVDs, his 1964 special with Rosemary Clooney, Frank, and Dean, A Bing Crosby Christmas (the 1978 compilation special), a couple Hollywood Palace shows that are available on YouTube, and a 1965 Bob Hope Christmas Special, so I would like this set, but at the retail price (even if it was still in production) I don't think I'd pay for it.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

22/4/2020 10:32 am  #80

Thanks for the information! Shame it isn't available outside the US and Canada. 

22/4/2020 11:08 am  #81

I had some hopes that the subject of the, in my view very poor, Time Life bundle might have been conveniently forgotten. It is not a set that I would commend to anyone. And discs 1 and 3 are precise copies of, respectively  “The Television Specials Volume 1” disc 1 and “The Television Specials Volume 2 – The Christmas Specials” disc 1 right down to introductory graphics and “bonus material” issued by Bing Crosby Enterprises.

For the rest I take the liberty of lifting a paragraph from my own review in "Bing" magazine at the time. I said, as part of a much lengthier piece 
"- - - I fear that the negative points, which are many, far exceed the positives and I found the overall viewing experience frustrating, disappointing, bewildering and downright annoying in turns. Frustrating because in my view at least some of the best parts have been cut out. Disappointing because there is so much duplication with relatively recent issues. Bewildering because it is difficult to understand the rationale behind decisions to remove whole swathes of the core of the shows yet retain quantities of introductory material and end credits which do not reflect the editing that has taken place. Bewildering also because I cannot understand what audience Time Life might be aiming at. If at Crosby fans many of them will already have much of what is included here (and might share my frustrations at much of the remainder). But who apart from relatively keen fans would spend $100 on such a set? Annoying because I regard the very title as misleading – two whole discs are not Crosby specials at all, but those of Carol Burnett and Bob Hope. And, as mentioned it is highly debatable whether the best parts are actually included. Annoyed also because I feel that in the truncated form in which some of the shows are offered they fail to give a true representation of the shows. And a mixture of all the above because I feel very strongly that treatment by those with a true feeling for the material and the place of certain other artists in the Bing Crosby story and popular music of the era could have done so much better. - - -"

My full review included a detailed listing of the content of the discs and comment on what had been left out of the original shows. I refer ICC members to Bing #180, Winter 2018.

For those who might be more recent members (or not members at all), I will email a copy of my script if you email me. 

23/4/2020 11:25 am  #82

Richard’s review says it all, really...

I did buy the set when it was first released (thanks to Ron Field, who kindly dealt with ordering and forwarding on behalf of non-USA members) and shared the general feeling of a wonderful opportunity completely wasted. Given the editorial care that BCE took over their CD releases - and yes, I know they recycled a lot of stuff from the Mosaic release! - I can’t believe that they had much input into the selection and editing of the material.

Personally speaking, one of the most frustrating aspects of the whole enterprise was seeing snippets of shows in pristine quality that had previously only been available in fuzzy YouTube clips and realising that the entire shows were out there in amazing quality and we’re never likely to see them.

Board footera