09/7/2019 12:22 am  #1

Tony Martin - I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance

I have been looking for Tony Martin's 1942 version of the Bing classic "I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance" and finally found it on an old Decca 78rpm. Tony does a nice version of a favorite song of mine...

10/7/2019 12:13 pm  #2

Re: Tony Martin - I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance

Thanks Lee.

I don't actively seek out LPs or 78rpms anymore but if there is a recording I can't find any other place I will pick it up if the price is right. I laugh though when I go on Ebay and see a 78rpm of White Christmas for $50! 

I just discovered a new site. I think the webpage is archive.org where people have uploaded recordings, and I have found some rare recordings in pretty good sound so that saves me buying a 78! 

22/7/2019 6:05 am  #3

Tony Martin's recording was splendid, despite the surface noise. If I remember correctly, Tony Martin was to perform at the 2002 Hofstra Conference grand banquet but wasn't available so we were entertained by Margaret Whiting and it was a thrill to see and hear her. Tony Martin had many hits in Australia from 1940 to 1959.

22/7/2019 6:03 pm  #4

Thought Tony had a good voice and I only had one recording of his on a 45 with the big hole in the centre. Forgotten the name of it now.
His wife had really long legs and a good dancer - Cyd Charisse.
Both had long lives - Cyd 86: Tony 98.
He had been married previously to Alice Faye, who then married Phil Harris.
There is an Australian actor named Tony Martin.

Board footera