25/2/2018 5:52 pm  #26

Re: Remembering Bing

I'm arranging for another Bing and Errol feature. Was planning for Sunday 14th. October but the Roxy already has something scheduled so I will be having it on Sunday 7th. October at 2.00pm.
Will be screening Errol's first ever film - In Wake of the Bounty. He plays Fletcher Christian who was later played by Clark Gable.
For Bing I'll be showing his six Mack Sennett shorts.
On 3rd. March at the Roxy at 7.00pm is - World of Dance. I am going to be the MC and guess what my introduction music is going to be (hopefully) is Bing singing 'All You Want To Do Is Dance'.
There are two versions on YouTube - recording and the film clip.

04/3/2018 4:50 pm  #27

Saturday night 3rd. March at the Roxy Theatre, Morton, Wa, USA, we presented the 1st. Annual World of Dance.
Various types of dance was preformed.
I was MC and as an introduction to the evening performance I had Bing singing - All You Want To Do Is Dance.

12/3/2018 3:31 am  #28

On the subject of dancing, on my weekly radio program this morning I played Fred Astaire's version of  'I won't dance'. I wonder if Bing sang it.

08/4/2018 7:41 pm  #29

Well, I have the 'green light' to do another Bing and Errol screening.
However it is going to be on Sunday 7th. October instead of the 14th. As the Roxy is already booked for another event.
This year I will be screening Bing's 6 Sennett shorts he made and for Errol it will be his very first film - In Wake of the Bounty, just over an hour.
Hope w have a good turn out - plenty of time for publicity.
So, save your pennies and come to Morton for the w/e - there is a good size motel, Mexican restaurant at the site and some other food outlets around town.

19/4/2018 6:35 pm  #30

Well, I've been allowed to do another Bing and Errol double bill remembering their day of departure from this world.
However, I have to settle for 7th. October as the 14th. is already taken for the Roxy Theatre.
This year I will show Bing's 6 Sennett shorts.
Errol will be shown in his very first film - In Wake of the Bounty. An Australian made film by pioneer film maker - Charles Chauvel. Errol plays Fletcher Christian and it was made in 1933 and runs for 60 minutes. A couple of years later Clark Gable played the same role.
So, put it in your diary for a 2.00pm kick off.

26/5/2018 2:36 am  #31

Again this year I will be having a Bing/Errol screening.
However instead of Sunday 14th. October (something else is already booked for the Roxy), it will be on Sunday 7th. October at 2.00pm, admission $5.00 per person.
I'll be screening Errol's very first film,  'In Wakeof the Bounty'. He plays the part of Fletcher Christian and he was 23/24.
I will then screen Bing's 6 Mack Sennett shorts.
So, start saving the pennies and visit Morton.

11/9/2018 12:37 am  #32

Well, I'm presenting another Bing and Errol double but it is on Sunday 7th. October at the Morton Roxy.
The 14th. Was already booked for another event.
Anyway, we will be showing Errol Flynn's very first film - In Wake of the Bounty - from 1933. He plays the part of Fletcher Christian - the part played by Clark Gable in 1935.
Flynn was 23 and later that year he was in England appearing briefly in a couple of films and then in 1935 he was in Hollywood with Warner Brothers.
The Bing segment will be the six shorts he made for Mack Sennett.
So, jump on a jet plane or Greyhound Bus or train and come to Morton.
Just hope we have a successful day.

17/9/2018 5:41 am  #33

Ron, I've not seen any versions of the Bounty movies. I hope your presentation goes well. Sorry I can't be there.

28/9/2018 5:11 pm  #34

Rundown to Sunday 7th. October to my double bill presentation at the Roxy Theatre in Morton Washington - about 100 miles from both Seattle and Portland airports and 50 miles from Amtrak Centralia station.
Showing Errol Flynn in 'In Wake of the Bounty' made in 1933 at the tender age of 23 and playing Fletcher Christian (Clark Gable played the same part in 1935's 'Mutiny on the Bounty')
Flynn then went to England and appeared in some minor roles later in the year. Then to the US and a couple of other minor roles and then his first big appearance as Captain Blood in 1935 and his rise to fame.
For the Bing sevtion I will be screening the 6 Mack Sennett shorts that he made - 1931/32/33 - 2 in each year.
Admission is $5.00 - so, jump a plane, a bus, a train, a car or Shanks' pony.
Had to do it on the 7th. as theatre is booked for the 14th.
I'll be playing Bing's Sing-along CD prior to the start and at intermission.
Ron

02/10/2018 10:29 pm  #35

Ron has supplied a copy of the Roxy's weekly notice of events. It includes a photo of Ron with Bing, as well as the earlier poster  and the weekly list with Ron's own contribution at the bottom. 

15/10/2018 12:27 am  #36

Did report elsewhere that we had 25 paying customers.
On another note - just finished reading a book called McNally's Secret by Lawrence Sanders, an American author but uses British words like 'bloke'.
Anyway towards the end he writes of McNally.....I played more Sinatra, and Billie Holiday, Bessie Smith, early Bing Crosby ('Just a Gigolo'), and Ella Fitzgerald singing Cole Porter. Then I listened to my favourite balladeer; Fred Astaire. ...... But no one has ever done a better vocal of 'A Fine Romance'.

I like Bing and Dixie's version of this song.
The book was published in 1991.

01/11/2018 6:46 am  #37

I like that recording also Ron so i'm going to play it on my radio program on our community radio station on Monday to commemorate the anniversary of Dixie's birth on 4th.

01/11/2018 8:56 pm  #38

And Anita's on the 6th.
Too bad Bing couldn't get Dixie into the recording booth for further duets - they made a good double in song.

02/11/2018 3:51 am  #39

Just noticed that today - 1st. November is the anniversary of Dixie's passing in 1952.

04/11/2018 12:30 am  #40

Just reading a book called 'Hideaway' by Dean Koontz. On page 108 of the paperback is.......'...no more ominous than the priest in Going My Way, a Latino Bing Crosby, and....'.
The book was written in 1992.

03/5/2019 12:56 am  #41

Another birthdate coming up - 116.
Also my brother in law turns 89

03/5/2019 12:59 am  #42

Oh, will send him a Bing YouTube - Happy Birthday/Auld Lang Syne.
Been sending that to people celebrating or just the short Happy Birthday.
Keeps our mate in the minds of folks

03/5/2019 6:53 am  #43

Ron Field wrote:

Another birthdate coming up - 116.
Also my brother in law turns 89

3 May 1903 - 3 May 2019

04/5/2019 2:22 am  #44

Today I told my daughter it was Bing Crosby's birthday, and she wanted to get a cake and celebrate!
My wife said no - but it was cute!

20/5/2019 7:32 am  #45

Greg Van Beek's radio program NOSTALGIA RADIO TIME of 4th May was a beaut  one-hour tribute to Bing which included some recordings from radio which I'd not heard before. It's still available on www.podomatic.com/nostalgiaradiotime. Greg always includes at least one Crosby track. His previous program included a tribute to Spike Jones and it introduced me to a new one:'Chinese Mule Train' which included a reference to 'Bing Closby'.

15/7/2019 5:46 pm  #46

Just now I’m recalling events that happened in 1957.
The reason, you may ask.
Well, days and dates are exactly the same in 2019 as they were in 1957.
I sailed from Sydney on the ‘Oronsay’ on Friday 12th. July and arrived in Vancouver on Monday 29th. July.
Then on the following Friday - 2nd.August I met Bing in Seattle.
A couple of weeks later saw and had photo taken with brother Bob who was the MC at a fund raising show then the following day to the Crosby office and met brother Larry.
What a shame that today’s photographic equipment wasn’t available back then.
Nice memories to have and what friendly people the Crosby brothers were, not like some stars who think they are above the rest of us.
I’m enjoying my remembering days of Bing.

22/7/2019 5:52 am  #47

I have a hard luck story Ron. Not long after you ,met Bing I passed up an opportunity to meet him. I was on my way to study in Chicago and had a letter of introduction to Bing from a prominent Melbourne musician. I thought that there'd be no way Bing would meet an ordinary bloke like me so I didn't attempt to contact him. Years later I heard his butler say that any fans should be introduced to him, especially if they'd travelled a long way. I rationalised that i couldn't have afforded to divert to LA.

13/3/2024 1:11 am  #48

Having just turned 90 in February, I think I have been a fan for over 80 years.
It all started when we used to write to the film stars and receive a photo in return. Mostly they were postcard size and some had printed on the back if we could make a small donation to the War effort.
Then a letter came from Bing saying that a photo was under separate cover and his latest movie etc. sure enough a couple of days later a 10” x 8” photo, backed with cardboard, would arrive.
So I was won over to Bing.
A couple of times a year I would write and the postman would say to me - another photo from Bing.
And then I was fortunate and met Bing a few times plus various Crosby family members - brothers, children, grand children, wife, nephews and nieces.
I’ve been a very fortunate man.
Oh, I was admitted to Canberra Hospital about 2.00am on my birthday. About 7.00am the nurses woke me up with a birthday cake. They said we don’t get many 90 year olds.

Board footera