27/6/2011 10:36 pm  #1

The Bing Crosby Story narrated by Douglas Fairbanks

For many years I have treasured some cassette copies I made of a series of radio programmes first broadcast in 14 weekly instalments by the BBC in 1973. It was subsequently re -edited (at least for the last couple of instalments) and re-broadcast after Bing's death, and it is the later sequence which I have kept. 

There are many contributions by those who came into contact with Bing, and of course there is much well chosen music appropriate to the current topic, and a lot from Bing himself.

The 'Official Home Of Bing Crosby' has now added the first two episodes to their 'Audio Vault' here -
http://bingcrosby.com/bing/bing-crosby-media/audio-vault
Scroll down to 'The Bing Crosby Story (BBC)'

The song 'It's Not Where You Start (It's Where You Finish' was recorded just before the series came to an end and it was announced on air that it was having it's world premiere, having been recorded for the final episode of the series.  I presume that 'Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree' might not have been recorded were it not for the programme. They were both recorded on 8th June 1973 and released on a 'Daybreak' single.

Very well worth a listen.

Last edited by Richard Baker (28/6/2011 7:12 am)

29/6/2011 5:17 pm  #2

Re: The Bing Crosby Story narrated by Douglas Fairbanks

I have the whole series on tape (back in Aus!) that a friend of mine had made for me. He worked for the ABC.
I have often thought about writing to the BBC to see if they planned to put the whole show on CD.
Perhaps Malcolm may have approached the BBC about this or maybe he might do so.

30/6/2011 8:15 am  #3

Sorry, Ron. I have not approached the BBC and have no plans to do so. It's hard enough to get Bing's songs played on BBC.

01/7/2011 1:37 am  #4

They should play more Bing.  They have his initials in their name!

01/7/2011 11:56 am  #5

Steve Fay wrote:

They should play more Bing.  They have his initials in their name!

Hmmm - --  Bing's Broadcasting Corporation - - - Broadcasting Bing Crosby  - -  ???

In fact over the years the BBC has been quite good to Bing, it is just with the death or retirement over the last five years or so of some respected long time presenters and producers that good 'light' music has faded from the scene.  Bing has suffered but he is not alone. It's just that he was more prominent in the first place.

In  fact, this morning the long established 'Desert Island Discs', where celebrities are interviewed about their lives and pick out eight records to take with them to a desert island, had actress Harriet Walter as the guest. She selected 'Well, Did You Evah' as her second choice, after Beethoven's Third Symphony. She correctly said 'Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra' - but the BBC website credits Frank alone !!!!  - here -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/994ea5e9#b0122p93

Just another indication of the short experience or memory of the juveniles who run such outlets.

05/7/2011 11:21 am  #6

Part 3 of the  BBC 'Bing Crosby Story' narrated by Douglas Fairbanks is now in the  'Audio Vault' http://bingcrosby.com/bing/bing-crosby-media/audio-vault

12/7/2011 9:17 am  #7

- And now part 4.

I can't commend this series more highly.  Very interesting with acute observations and memories by many who knew Bing well with lots of music.

13/7/2011 9:18 pm  #8

The passing of time and those singers, actors etc that we all grew up with have just about all but died or retired from the public.
My wife's 2nd. daughter turns 50 this year (9/11) and last year I mentioned Vic Damone and she hadn't heard of him. She knows of Bing because of me, Then again I don't know any of the current 'so called 'stars'' in film or record. So singers like Peter Dawson, Richard Tauber and Richard Crooks, Dick Haymes, Sarah Vaughan, Della Reese etc don't stand a chance of being remembered.

14/7/2011 3:14 am  #9

In Australia the Australian Broadcasting Commission's national radio network broadcast THE BING CROSBY STORY's 14 episodes on Saturday nights from November 1977. It was repeated on ABC's SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY program on Saturday nights in 1979, this time including the 15th episode THE FINAL CHAPTER. Gord Atkinson's 14-part musical autobiography of Bing was broadcast by radio station 3AW (Melbourne) at about the time of Bing's death.

14/7/2011 5:30 pm  #10

Ron Field wrote:

The passing of time and those singers, actors etc that we all grew up with have just about all but died or retired from the public.
My wife's 2nd. daughter turns 50 this year (9/11) and last year I mentioned Vic Damone and she hadn't heard of him. She knows of Bing because of me, Then again I don't know any of the current 'so called 'stars'' in film or record. So singers like Peter Dawson, Richard Tauber and Richard Crooks, Dick Haymes, Sarah Vaughan, Della Reese etc don't stand a chance of being remembered.

Della will be remembered by some young folks as a recurrent character on the "Touched by an Angel" TV show that ran from 1994-2002.  ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Della_Reese#Touched_by_an_Angel  )

Pushing 60, I certainly remember Vic Damone, though I don't find him as memorable as Bing.  Unfortunately, Vic merges into Jack Jones and some other singers popular at that time...my progressively dimming brain cells have trouble distinguishing them, their songs, and their styles apart.  Vic, you're a blur to me now.  I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

19/7/2011 8:45 am  #11

Part 5 of this highly informative series has now been posted. http://bingcrosby.com/bing/bing-crosby-media/audio-vault

19/7/2011 4:22 pm  #12

Pushing 60, I certainly remember Vic Damone, though I don't find him as memorable as Bing.  Unfortunately, Vic merges into Jack Jones and some other singers popular at that time...my progressively dimming brain cells have trouble distinguishing them, their songs, and their styles apart.  Vic, you're a blur to me now.  I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

Not long ago I saw Vic having lunch with Regis Philbin at Cravings on the Sunset Strip. He looked fine and is aging well.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

19/7/2011 8:56 pm  #13

paulmock wrote:

Not long ago I saw Vic having lunch with Regis Philbin at Cravings on the Sunset Strip. He looked fine and is aging well.

Perhaps Vic and Regis are planning to record and album of duets!

25/7/2011 5:07 pm  #14

Part 6 has now been posted. 'Bing The Sportsman'

Also a couple of new video items, one of the Edsel Show, 13 October 1957 'Now You Has Jazz'. Great stuff.

Last edited by Richard Baker (25/7/2011 5:15 pm)

09/8/2011 2:18 pm  #15

Part 7 has now been posted, covering Bing's radio career http://bingcrosby.com/bing/bing-crosby-media/audio-vault
as has a video clip from 'Goldilocks' in the 'Video Vault'.

15/8/2011 2:43 pm  #16

- - - - and episode 8.

How many following this?

Plus a video clip in the 'Video Vault' from early 1976 - Kathryn takes a shot from the tee at Pebble Beach for her show, and a guest walks on for an interview.

22/8/2011 1:05 pm  #17

Episode 9 now available. It continues with the story of Bing in films picking up his Oscar with Gary Cooper, as Bing puts it, snickering at the award ceremony.

30/8/2011 9:34 am  #18

- - -and now part 10 - Bing the Business Man,  cracking jokes about Bob Hope's immense comparative wealth and singing 'I Haven't Time To Be A Millionaire'. 

Some new video on the same site - in this case an interview with Ed Murrow Dec 3rd 1954.

06/9/2011 10:55 pm  #19

- And now number 11.  And another interview on a video clip. Bing being polite about the Beatles!

Regret I've been unable to keep on top of things for the last week. I hope I have not missed the need to post other matters that might warrant notice.

12/9/2011 10:57 am  #20

Part 12 now posted - Bing the recording star, complete with some sales statistics - which presumably are now a little out-dated by the passage of 38 years since the programmes were recorded.

19/9/2011 9:01 am  #21

- - and now 13 - continuing with the recording career, including a review of the range of stars with whom Bing had recorded, and the songwriters involved. Now near the final chapter in this BBC series from 1973. The BBC re - broadcast the series after Bing's death, amending and adding to the last couple of chapters.

26/9/2011 5:50 pm  #22

Part 14 -  'Prelude to Immortality' has now been posted. 

This was the final part of the original series, but personally I very much hope that the later extended and amended couple of episodes broadcast after Bing's death might also be added.

Something might be happening to my internet connection, but the audio quality as received by me of this part is not as good as the earlier episodes. What is the experience of others?

Board footera