21/2/2019 1:18 pm  #1

What Bing Crosby movies have you never seen?

I have seen the majority Bing films, since in my early days of collecting there were a lot of collectors with bootleg copies.

I think I have 80% of them on DVD now, but here are the movies I have never seen or never watched all the way through:

1. Too Much Harmony
2. Here Is My Heart (never watched all the way through)
3. Paris Honeymoon (never watched all the way through)
4. Say One For Me
5. The Stagecoach

I gotta work on watching them. I have all of them on DVD now!

22/2/2019 12:57 pm  #2

Re: What Bing Crosby movies have you never seen?

I agree most of the 30s movies are unwatchable except for the singing and music, but I do like Pennies From Heaven. That Bing film actually had a plot. 

23/2/2019 12:53 am  #3

Archiefit wrote:

There are exceptions and "Pennies From Heaven" is definitely an exception, an excellent movie, thoroughly entertaining thru-out.  I also like "If I Had My Way" (I haven't looked it up) but if this movie was made before 1938 then it's another exception, I like this one a lot too.  It seems after 1938 the Bing movies were all good to excellent, don't ask about the ones before.

I think The Big Broadcast is watchable just for all the great stars and Bing's first movie. Then Bing hit a rut where they just threw together scripts for him. The Star Maker is pretty good but that is 1939 I think. I agree after 1938 Bing did a good job for almost a decade of picking good roles. He slumped a little bit in the 1940s, but then rebounded in the early 1950s I think.

23/2/2019 1:46 pm  #4

I just saw Top O The Morning for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was ok - not Bing's best in my opinion but glad I saw it.

25/2/2019 3:41 pm  #5

Sadly, it would be easier to make  a list of the movies I've seen...

08/3/2019 10:47 pm  #6

Top 'O The Morning will be on TCM this weekend.
Check the TV guide for time

12/3/2022 4:58 am  #7

Ashamedly, quite a number still to see but with it being one his television films (if these are allowed to be considered) an unseen one I've long been most curious over is Doctor Cook's Garden. Partly because I'm always so fascinated by later/final star acting performances but also that this is of course one of Bing's rare, non-singing character parts. Country Girl, High Torr and Man on Fire are three other dramatic curios which have (only so far) passed me by. 

12/3/2022 3:12 pm  #8

Oh my goodness me, Archiefit!!! 
Thank you so very much for this. Up until now, I've had to content myself with the odd production photograph and whatever has been written about it. It looks a super print and one I will be making a very quick date to view. Although I would have only been about a year old when it was produced, I'm uncertain as to whether it was ever screened in the UK.

I know later in the decade and well into the 1990's, many US TV movies and teleplays would be broadcast across on all (then) three of our main networks but these would usually be very recent productions. I think the latest performance of Bing's I have seen up until now has been his highly worthy turn as the alcoholic doctor in the 1966 remake of Stagecoach. I'm not counting his charming narrative turn in "That's Entertainment" which has always of course remained a highlight of mine in that priceless capsule of a film.

Board footera