10/2/2019 10:16 pm  #1

We're A Couple Of Soldiers (Blooper)

Does anyone remember this 1933 Bing recording? I think it was the flip side of Brother Can You Spare A Dime. There is a reason it was the B-side. Needlesstosay the song was not great. Reportedly the song was so bad that the band and Bing kept breaking up, and they captured one of the breakup takes at least. The blooper recording was much better than the recording that the public heard...

11/2/2019 9:24 am  #2

Re: We're A Couple Of Soldiers (Blooper)

Think Bing had been 'bending the elbow a bit on this recording'.

12/2/2019 2:28 pm  #3

He might have, but if I had to record the song, I might have needed a little nip as well! LOL

13/2/2019 7:40 am  #4

I think Gary Giddins devoted some attention to the session in his first volume. I wonder if other artists recorded it.

13/2/2019 11:46 am  #5

Graham Pascoe wrote:

I wonder if other artists recorded it.

Some of the British dance bands of the day took it up, and recordings of which I am aware include Sidney Lipton & His Grosvenor House Orchestra with Sam Browne as vocalist, and the Roy Fox Band, with Jack Plant, (both taken entirely seriously!).

(Later addition)
In fact Youtube have several examples. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=we%27re+a+couple+of+soldiers%2C+my+baby+and+me

Last edited by Richard Baker (13/2/2019 11:59 am)

13/2/2019 1:46 pm  #6

I have Billy Cotton's version and it is pretty good. The song is silly but it still worth listening too. I like how Bings's voice soars on his recording too.

16/2/2019 7:46 am  #7

Rudy Valee made a record and they let it through and was a hit.
The memory bank is a little fuzzy after golf and a couple of beers.
Oops - just remembered - There is a tavern in the town - Rudy laughs but it is still recorded. Great record.

Board footera