13/1/2019 6:03 pm  #1

Como is pretty good too!

Maybe a year or so ago I came across a wonderful article entitled "Why Perry Como Still Matters". Como was someone that I was familiar with for some of this Christmas songs (a few which rank among my favorites) and a few of his bigger hits. 

This article was a the nudge to dip a bit deeper into the Como catalog and I've walked away impressed with just how good Como was! I think the article rightly points out that Como's style, (which is Bing's style) of laid back singing has been supplanted by "belters" and so Perry too has become a  bit forgotten. This is really a shame because I think Como's records maintain a consistent quality. At least I haven't come across any serious missteps! 

So here's a little shout out to the "Singing Barber"!

13/1/2019 6:41 pm  #2

Re: Como is pretty good too!

Ron, I'm sure many others will agree with you.

Among them will be Malcolm Macfarlane, who is not only the editor of "Bing" magazine and very frequent contributor to this board, but also the joint author of "Perry Como: A Biography and Complete Career Record", with Ken Crossland, a former editor of "Bing".

13/1/2019 10:42 pm  #3

I, too, like Perry Como. Recorded a lot of good songs too.
The other crooner I like is Dick Haymes and I like a few of his songs better - It might as well be Spring: to name one. There are a couple of others too which I will have to dust off the cobwebs.
Bing, Perry and Dick are my top three.

18/1/2019 4:13 pm  #4

Ron Field wrote:

I, too, like Perry Como. Recorded a lot of good songs too.
The other crooner I like is Dick Haymes and I like a few of his songs better - It might as well be Spring: to name one. There are a couple of others too which I will have to dust off the cobwebs.
Bing, Perry and Dick are my top three.

I'm not really familiar with Haymes but I'll have to give him a listen. It just amazes me how many singers are completely forgotten today, from every genre and every decade! I would personally say my top 3 (non-Rock n' Roll singers) would be:
Bing, Como, and Matt Monro!

18/1/2019 4:18 pm  #5

Richard Baker wrote:

Ron, I'm sure many others will agree with you.

Among them will be Malcolm Macfarlane, who is not only the editor of "Bing" magazine and very frequent contributor to this board, but also the joint author of "Perry Como: A Biography and Complete Career Record", with Ken Crossland, a former editor of "Bing".

Thanks Richard, I am going to make it a point to give this a read!

13/12/2020 11:34 pm  #6

Perry is climbing my favorite singer list, Bing will always be number 1, but Sinatra’s number 3 spot is in jeopardy. Nat Cole may go from 2 to 3, but he’s up there too. Como and Crosby are the only ways I really listen to contemporary songs from the 60s, 70s, and in Perry’s case the 80s.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

Board footera