14/12/2018 8:00 pm  #1

70 years of the LP

The UK magazine "Record Collector" Christmas issue #487 is celebrating 70 years of the LP by selecting an LP that they believe had the greatest influence for each of the years. Not "the best" but the greatest influence.
However they introduce the 23 page piece with a tribute to Bing's overall influence. The 70 Landmark Albums of the Last 70 Years is here.

This is a part quote of the introduction - 
"When the first long-playing record was introduced by Columbia Records at a press conference in New York’s Waldorf Astoria in 1948, it was considered primarily as a boon for selling classical music, whose long form had been ill-suited to the 78rpm format – the first ever long-player was a recording of a Mendelssohn concerto. However, it wasn’t long before more popular artists saw the potential of LPs. Bing Crosby, who was at the forefront of various 20th century music technologies, from the microphone to magnetic tape, was among the first artists to see his work appear on album format – Crosby Classics, a collection of his 30s recordings released by Columbia.".

Whilst none of his records is selected for any of the years, "Merry Christmas" is awarded the title of runner up for 1948, after Stan Kenton's "A Presentation Of Progressive Jazz".

07/1/2019 7:11 pm  #2

Re: 70 years of the LP

My first LP was a 21st. Birthday present in 1955 - 10" Bing and the Boswell Sisters.
Don't think I even had a radiogram that played LP's.
My first 78 was Bing's Faith of Our Fathers - sung differently than we did in Australia.
I borrowed a 78 - Skylark - from a mate and had to travel in the train and bus to get it home.
No wonder I went bald early with the worry of transport a shellac 78 on public transport in the rush hours - but it survived both journeys.

Board footera