23/12/2018 6:26 pm  #1

The Unheard Bix Beiderbecke

I just picked up at Half Price books a great album for $1. It is The Unheard Bix Beiderbecke on the Broadway label. They did some nice Bing LPs too. The number of this album is Broadway102. I'm surprised of the sound. Also some of the recordings are supposedly unissued takes. When the album came out they were unissued, but I wasn't sure if that was still the case.

Anyone else have that LP? It really is great...

28/12/2018 12:44 am  #2

Re: The Unheard Bix Beiderbecke

I uploaded some of the "unissued takes" from the album. It is really great, but not sure in 2018 how rare these numbers are. One of the tracks features Bing - an "unissued" take of "My Pet" Let me know what you guys think...

Last edited by Lobosco (28/12/2018 12:45 am)

28/12/2018 12:45 am  #3

28/12/2018 12:46 am  #4

28/12/2018 12:48 am  #5

29/12/2018 12:16 am  #6

Although the dynamics differ quite a lot and there seems to be some variation in speed, so that strict comparison is difficult, I believe that this version of My Pet is take 3, which is on disc 4 of The Chronological Bing Crosby on the Jonzo label. 

Conclusions -
- The Jonzo version has a wider dynamic range, whilst this version seems very compressed, giving a large difference in the visual waveform. 
- The total timings are different but when adjusted in length (a matter of a slight change in playback speed), and played in tandem keep going out of sync with each other, only to return seconds later. 
- The crucial comparison to my mind is in the scat singing which is most vulnerable to differences, (and which are the crucial identifier between the three known takes) are to my ears identical. 

Both the differences in dynamics and speed variations could be caused by the characteristics of the playback equipment. 

Board footera