15/6/2011 1:40 pm  #1

Commercial Recording

I have an question regarding a Bing Crosby recording.  My great uncle used to work in a comercial recording studio.  A couple of years ago, my wife and I moved into the house he previously lived in, and discovered in the attic a collection of old records, many of which were original glass (as opposed to vinyl).

One of the records is of Bing Crosby doing a commercial (I don't remember the product).  During the recording, Bing misses a line and continues to sing the song, in parody of actual the commercial.  The whole recording is in good condition, maybe a minute or two long (it was a commercial), and recorded on a glass master record.

I'm wondering if you would have any idea if this was something people would be interested in buying, and if so, what the price on an item like this would be.

Thanks,
Steve

16/6/2011 4:12 am  #2

Re: Commercial Recording

It sounds like a collectors item, especially if there are no (or few) other copies of that same take.  Are you certain the record is made of glass, as opposed to something else that had a glassy finish and glasslike fragility?

16/6/2011 12:06 pm  #3

I'm pretty certain it's glass.  I would also imagine that it's one of a kind, though I have no real way of being sure.

16/6/2011 1:57 pm  #4

The record in question is most probably glass-based, i.e. a glass disc that was coated with acetate for recording purposes. These were introduced during World War II, due to metal shortages and needs, and were primarily in use during the 1943-1946 time frame (although some may have been used in later years, just to use up the existing supply). These records worked just like the usual acetate records, except that "regular" acetates, as we know them, were aluminum-based, and here the glass disc replaced the aluminum disc... but they were both coated with the same type of acetate material, into which the grooves were cut.
The recording in question could be an a rehearsal, or simply a copy of something recorded from another disc.  A mention of a "title", or the product Bing was singing about, could help identify and date this (or at least date the original recording or broadcast, since this could be a copy). ... Something like the singing Philco commercial that Bing did with Jolson...

Board footera