18/12/2018 6:15 pm  #1

A Bing Crosby Christmas For Today's Army

Reading Gary Giddins' book and its coverage of the work Bing did in entertaining the US forces, combined with the current Christmas season, reminded me that Bing was still at it in 1973. In that year "US Army Recruiter" issued a two LP  set "A Bing Crosby Christmas For Today's Army". 

The first LP contained a number of spoken passages from Bing, obviously recorded in 1973 (he mentions the year) but introducing tracks from the 1970 LP "A Time to Be Jolly" plus two earlier versions of "White Christmas", whilst the second LP contained Christmas tracks recorded by a forces band. 
I am uncertain about the circumstance of the issue or how it was distributed - (was it handed out to new recruits or what???) and I'd welcome information.
There were other Christmas themed records from US Army Recruiter over the years but so far as I am aware this was the only one from Bing.

I suspect that good numbers were issued as copies are not particularly hard to find. (Eight are currently listed on Discogs at asking prices ranging from $3 to $20).

[img]https://img.discogs.com/C3vPG7uUQVclZ2ivrdjPxMS-WlE=/fit-in/600x600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-4456634-1365369113-2026.jpeg.jpg[/img]

Bing's song tracks were -
And the Bells Rang/Christmas is here to stay/Christmas Is/ White Christmas/ A Time To Be Jolly/I Sing Noel/ Round and Round The Christmas Tree/The Song Of Christmas/White Christmas.

19/12/2018 5:32 am  #2

Re: A Bing Crosby Christmas For Today's Army

Talking of Christmas.
Went to a Chinese restaurant in Centralia, about 45 miles from Morton.
Walked in the door to the sounds of Bing. Sounds as though it was from a Bing Christmas CD.
That stopped and after another 5 minutes or so, Bing came on again.
Don't know if it was the same CD or a different.
The sounds of Bing while lunching made the day.

19/12/2018 7:28 pm  #3

The LPs were distributed free of charge to US radio stations to air as part of their public service programming. I have several similar albums (not by Crosby) in my collection.

Last edited by rmos (19/12/2018 7:30 pm)

20/12/2018 3:23 pm  #4

rmos wrote:

The LPs were distributed free of charge to US radio stations to air as part of their public service programming. I have several similar albums (not by Crosby) in my collection.

Thanks for that info, "rmos", though I am puzzled as to how that aids army recruitment.

Board footera