07/6/2011 1:55 pm  #1

Robin and the 7 Hoods

Those in the US can see this neglected film at 5:45pm ET today on TCM.

'Mister Booze' is one of Bing's best few minutes on film, to my mind. And 'Style' is a pretty good trio with Frank and Dean.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/88473/Robin-And-The-7-Hoods/

07/6/2011 3:51 pm  #2

Re: Robin and the 7 Hoods

I have read that the movie should have been more light hearted but during the filming President Kennedy was killed.

The movie gets a lot of play in the US - it's not my favorite film, but it has some great numbers.

07/6/2011 9:19 pm  #3

It is a miracle that film ever was completed. They were filming the cemetery scene when JFK was assassinated in Dallas and Frank shut the production down for almost a week. Then a few weeks later Frank, Jr. was kidnapped in Tahoe and production halted for quite some time. Watching and listening to Frank through the two "soundtrack" recordings you would never know the personal stuff he was going through.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

08/6/2011 5:56 pm  #4

Just caught the last hour of the picture, but 3 Bing songs.
And the reviews of the day stated that Bing just about 'stole' the film with his appearances.

08/6/2011 5:59 pm  #5

Ron Field wrote:

And the reviews of the day stated that Bing just about 'stole' the film with his appearances.

And let's not forget that the role of Alan Dale was originally to go to Peter Lawford before his big fallout with Mr. S. Big difference, eh?

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

08/6/2011 6:24 pm  #6

paulmock wrote:

Ron Field wrote:

And let's not forget that the role of Alan Dale was originally to go to Peter Lawford before his big fallout with Mr. S. Big difference, eh?

Peter Lawford sings Mister  Booze.  !!!!!

23/3/2012 10:52 am  #7

Richard Baker wrote:

paulmock wrote:

Ron Field wrote:

Peter Lawford sings Mister  Booze.  !!!!!

Peter Lawford sings (or rather 'sang')???

26/3/2012 10:05 pm  #8

Didn't he sing in a Judy Garland film or some other MGM production. Think he sang "I'm just a fella, a fella with an umbrella'.

26/3/2012 10:58 pm  #9

Peter Lawford was an okay singer. He was the star of one of my favorite musicals - Good News (1947). He could hold a tune but he was no Bing or Sinatra.

13/4/2012 11:40 pm  #10

I think that Bing's performance was one of the few redeeming features of the film.  It was a great idea and it had a formidable cast.  The script wasn't bad. The production values, however, particularly in lighting and shot choice, left much to be desired.  As has been said, there were good reasons for the project not working out as well as its producers hoped. But it's still a great shame. - it could have been so good!  (I agree that 'Mr Booze' was one of the highlights of Bing's screen career.  He was brilliantly supported here by Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis jnr. who were clearly enjoying the experience.)

Devotee of 'the art that conceals art' which of course Bing epitomised.

Board footera