09/9/2016 2:35 pm  #1

"King Of Jazz" to be screened at The London Film Festival

There have been earlier references on this forum to a restored version of the King Of Jazz.

A screening has been announced for The London Film Festival on 8th October.

Follow this link

10/9/2016 7:49 am  #2

Re: "King Of Jazz" to be screened at The London Film Festival

This is very good news - thanks for letting us know, Richard. I've set up a reminder on my i-pad for the day booking opens and hopefully other ICC members will be able to make it down to the NFT on 8th October.

21/9/2016 11:32 am  #3

I've booked my ticket for the screening. If any other ICC members are planning to attend and fancy meeting up either before or after (or both!), send me a message and we can sort something out...

11/2/2018 9:20 am  #4

I have seen several favourable references to the quality of "King Of Jazz" from the public screenings.

Now the restored version is coming out on Blu Ray on March 27th
There are a number of "extras" and I am interested to note that they include an audio commentary by Gary Giddins, 
Amazon US are taking pre -orders. - https://www.amazon.com/King-Jazz-Criterion-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B078FFX78J/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1518337551&sr=1-1&keywords=king+of+jazz

So far only region A/1 has been announced. I fail to understand such an approach with older material such as this. Multi region DVD players are easy to come by and are very cheap, which defeats the idea behind regional coding. Multi region Blu Ray players are not so easy to find and are expensive but I suspect that in due course they also will be more easy to acquire.  

18/2/2018 1:31 pm  #5

I pre-ordered the DVD version a couple of weeks ago from Amazon. 
I've been interested in seeing this restored version ever since I read about the screening in New York (on this board) a couple of years ago. 
Prior to this I've only watched it on the Internet Archive. Found here, if anyone's interested: https://archive.org/details/KingOfJazz
I was thrilled to find that just so I could see it, but I'm sure this restoration will be a vast improvement. 

18/2/2018 2:11 pm  #6

Bingmo wrote:

----  I'm sure this restoration will be a vast improvement. 

It is.

This is a sample

24/2/2018 3:10 am  #7

That's remarkable, Richard. Thank you for posting!

24/2/2018 6:57 pm  #8

Beautiful!

12/3/2018 3:22 am  #9

The film was screened at  Sydney cinema last year and it was a treat, not just because of Bing but as an historic piece of cinema.

22/5/2018 11:41 pm  #10

King Of Jazz in Blu-Ray is at last to be released in the restored edition for Region B-2. Release scheduled for 9th July.

I have had very favourable reports about the successful restoration, both from those who have been to public screenings and of the issue some months back for region 1.

Amazon UK are now taking pre-orders here.

24/5/2018 9:48 am  #11

That's great news Richard. Thanks also for the link.

07/7/2018 4:53 pm  #12

I recently got a pre-release order of King Of Jazz in Blu-ray from Amazon, and I couldn't believe how sharp, clean and clear it is both in picture and sound compared to my previously obtained DVD. I really recommend it. However, a few of the blackout comedy bits are missing--which I don't understand as they were obviously available in the previous edition.
A few months ago I obtained a copy of the book: "King of Jazz Paul Whiteman's Technicolor Review" which is signed by its two authors. Having read it from cover to cover immediately upon receipt, I strongly recommend it to anyone seriously interested in the topic.
When I lived in Pasadena, years ago, I had a studio pass to Universal, and I went there constantly. I went all over the lot discovering evidence and information about the making of "King of Jazz". I loved it, and  I intended to write a book all about it some day. This book is what I had in mind, and it's so well done--much better than mine would have been, I'm sure. Check it out on Amazon.com

16/7/2018 2:08 am  #13

The book you mentioned is fascinating isn't it. I also enjoyed the same authors' THE DAWN OF TECHNICOLOR : 1915-1935, published in 2015.

Board footera