10/7/2018 3:14 pm  #1

BEST OF BING CROSBY SPECIALS - TIME LIFE

This is really exciting news!

https://bingfan03.blogspot.com/2018/07/coming-soon-best-of-bing-crosby-specials.html

My article also has the attachment for the Time Life website

10/7/2018 6:06 pm  #2

Re: BEST OF BING CROSBY SPECIALS - TIME LIFE

This is amazing news - thanks so much for flagging it up, David...

(I may be being stupid - not an unknown occurrence! - but I can't seem to locate the link to the Time Life website...)

Thanks again...

10/7/2018 8:06 pm  #3

I think I put it on the bottom but here it is for easy access...

https://timelife.com/products/the-best-of-the-bing-crosby-specials

Last edited by Lobosco (10/7/2018 11:31 pm)

10/7/2018 8:09 pm  #4

Thanks David...

11/7/2018 6:40 am  #5

Just tried to place an order. BUT TimeLife.com can only process service requests for and ship items to addresses in the United States and Canada. Due to copyright and licensing laws, not all products available at TimeLife.com are available for sale in other countries.
Will have to ask someone in the States to buy it for me.

11/7/2018 8:56 am  #6

Great news. I have the same problem as Malcolm though ... Is there someone out there who is kind enough to obtain a set for me? Of course I will pay in advance.

Kind regards,
Frans

11/7/2018 10:26 am  #7

Same problem.
Any US/ Canada volunteer to lodge some orders and repackage?

11/7/2018 12:10 pm  #8

I’d like to add my name to that plea..!

Last edited by jeremyrose (11/7/2018 12:11 pm)

11/7/2018 3:24 pm  #9

We'll no doubt get caught for import duty too so bear that in mind when ordering from a USA friend. Incidentally I understand that Robert Bader and Bing Crosby Enterprises deserve our sincere thanks for putting this wonderful set together.

11/7/2018 7:06 pm  #10

Hmmm - now it no longer seems to be on the Time Life website and the original link takes you to another page...

12/7/2018 12:12 pm  #11

I called Time/Life and after a long time on hold I talked to a representative. The representative told me that it was put on their website prematurely. The set will be available later in the year per this person.

She did not have details as to the completeness of each episode though. I know Time/Life has chopped up some episodes of their television shows they sell, but I have some great DVDs from them on the Carol Burnett shows and Dean Martin shows, and they are complete.

The representative took my name and email, and will send me information when it is going to be released. I will keep everyone posted.

12/7/2018 1:42 pm  #12

Thank for you drawing our attention to this, David!

I managed to take a look at the link before they took it down. I see that all of the shows previously released on DVD by HLC Enterprises are included, so for anyone who missed out the first time around, this will be a good opportunity to get those shows. Even though there is duplication of the content, this will still be worth picking up!

As stated above, though, I am curious as to how complete these shows will be. For those shows which were previously released a few years ago by HLC, those clearances should be fine. But, Time Life is not known to vigorously pursue music and celebrity clearances, unlike Shout Factory (for example). Most of the content on Dean Martin Shows on DVD, other than the Dean Martin "Uncut" DVD, was chopped up quite a bit on certain episodes. The Jackie Gleason set also had edits to it. The one set I have of Carol Burnett doesn't appear to be cut up, but I'm not certain, as I purchased that set basically for Bing only (which will now be included on this set it appears?). I'm hoping for the best, however.

On the plus side, the Edsel show should now be sourced from the original videotape instead of the inferior kinescope that's been previously released on non-official DVDs. Here's the only known current source for the videotape version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze0Az9tdkHg&t=811

I wonder if they will now be saving this set for a fall release, in time to market it for the Christmas holiday?

Zane Johnson

12/7/2018 6:17 pm  #13

I think they may well market it in conjunction with the publication of part 2 of Gary Giddins' biography of Bing.

Last edited by frans (12/7/2018 6:17 pm)

12/7/2018 7:10 pm  #14

ICC member Alan Matheson has received the following from TimeLife.

"This product is not yet available. It should be available by the end of next week. Please check back then.  We appreciate your interest in our products and the opportunity to be of assistance."

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (12/7/2018 7:12 pm)

13/7/2018 6:53 am  #15

"Archiefit",

The promotional blurb from Time Life read - 
"From the 1950s through the ’70s Bing Crosby starred in 30 highly rated TV specials that featured a who’s who of guest stars. Bing’s groundbreaking broadcasts have never been available in one comprehensive collection—until now.The Best of the Bing Crosby Specials DVD collection features all of Bing’s iconic hits, including “Pennies from Heaven,” “Swinging on a Star,” “Don’t Fence Me In,” “It’s Easy to Remember,” “Dina,” and of course, “White Christmas.”You’ll get 26 Episodes on 11 DVDs, featuring the very best of Bing’s acclaimed specials, along with hours of bonus features. Highlights Include:

• Bing’s good friends Frank SinatraBob Hope and Dean Martin appeared on multiple specials, and Bing’s shows also featured Louis ArmstrongFred AstairePearl BaileyJack Benny, Carol Burnett, Rosemary Clooney, Perry Como, Jackie GleasonRobert Goulet, Peggy Lee, Patti Page, Bernadette Peters, Debbie Reynolds, Flip Wilson and many others!
  • Bing’s first TV special from 1954, featuring good pal Jack Benny.
  • Bing’s last TV special, featuring an unlikely guest, David Bowie. This is the 1977 program that yielded what may be the most popular Christmas duet ever—Bing and Bowie’s recording of “Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy.”
  • Happy Holidays with Bing and Frank—a rare special with Frank Sinatra that features the two legends singing classics in an intimate setting.
  • Bing’s 50th anniversary special, featuring Bob HopeRosemary Clooney, the Mills Brothers and others, and including a memorable Bette Midler.
  • Episodes of The Carol Burnett Show and the Bob Hope TV specials with guest shots by Bing.
  • Free bonus DVDThe Legendary Bing Crosby, a celebration of Bing’s life that includes rare performances, exclusive interviews with Bing’s family and friends, home movies and rare, behind-the-scenes material.
  • Exclusive 36-page book: Bing Crosby: A Life in Pictures, featuring rare photos, memorabilia, and behind-the-scenes snapshots from Bing’s 60+ year career."

13/7/2018 5:55 pm  #16

Things are getting odder by the hour.

Ron Field has been in touch with Time Life and had the following response -

"Dear Ron Field,
 Thank you for your interest in the The Best of Bing Crosby Collection. We are currently evaluating whether or not there is enough consumer interest to move forward with the production of this product so this collection is not available to purchase at the present time. If you are interested, we are happy to keep your contact information on file so that we may contact you when we learn of this product’s availability. If you are interested in being updated on the product, simply reply to this email with your contact information. We very much appreciate your interest in Time Life products."

It seems to me that pressure might bring rewards and those outside North America might add a plea about availability, for whatever that might be worth. 
This link should pull up a contact form on the Time Life website

https://timelife.com/contact

13/7/2018 7:52 pm  #17

Thank you for the updates, Richard. I have just sent a response to Time Life both encouraging them to proceed with the release and to also consider international shipping for Bing fans overseas.

Zane Johnson

13/7/2018 10:42 pm  #18

Received a notice that I can order next week.

14/7/2018 4:29 pm  #19

Here is the reply just sent to me from Time Life, which corresponds to what Ron stated:

"Dear Zane Johnson,

Thank you for contacting Time Life Customer Service.

We apologize for the confusion, but the Best of Bing Crosby will begin takings orders for next week. It was being evaluated for enough customer interest, but that phase has passed and been approved. Please check our website periodically, once it is posted there again we will begin taking orders for it.

We appreciate your interest in our products and the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Time Life
Customer Service"

So, positive news, then!

Zane Johnson

14/7/2018 6:12 pm  #20

Wow, maybe the emails and calls worked! When I talked to the representative I said there was a lot of support for these old shows - especially with Bing. Let's keep pressure on them!

16/7/2018 2:42 pm  #21

Archiefit wrote:

Good job guys, I'd have been happy to make it easy on them and told them not to bother re-releasing all the stuff already released and stick to releasing the MANY Bing shows NOT released yet.   I'm extremely pleased though to see Bing's 50th Anniversery CBS special being released!   This alone is a reason to celebrate.  Now, I wonder will there be an ending of this show or will it just stop near the end as my home brewed copy does.   This is the show, so I've heard, where Bing fell off the stage, but I still can't imagine CBS would broadcast this with the end just abruptly cut off, at least they would have put a still of Bing with credits roling, my version just ends, no good bye closing. 

So many good Bing TV things that the Bing people COULD be doing instead of taking another decades long nap.  Maybe they're part bear and need to hibernate in between releases.  How about the Hollywood Palace Bing shows, & I'd love to see the COMPLETE Bing Sitcom show released, all episodes & COLORIZED would be a 1000 times better.  So many good choices so many reasons to be frustrated over the fact that NOTHING is being done about it.

I agree with you Lee. Unfortunately the market for Bing Crosby in 2018 is not what is was in 1977 or even 1989. Bing is just not a money maker anymore. Too much time has passed. I hate to sound negative but it's a Monday. LOL. I will always support Bing but there needs to be a lot of of an audience out there than just a few of us for them to reissue the good treasures at this point.

16/7/2018 4:55 pm  #22

Just rang Time Life at two different numbers and neither person knows nothing about this set.
Told me Andy Williams is available or a couple of Bing tracks on something else.
The e-m from them last and again yesterday (Sunday) said they can take orders 'next week'.
Maybe I jumped the gun and next week is the 23rd. and not the 16th.
Have shot an e-M to them asking what is going on.

17/7/2018 9:03 pm  #23

Just received an e-M from Time-Life saying they will be taking orders as from Friday 20th. July.
Seems as though there is not much internal communication.
Anyway, Friday is the day.

20/7/2018 5:59 am  #24

21/7/2018 5:59 am  #25

Board footera