27/3/2018 12:57 pm  #1

New books about Bing

Frank Startup has drawn my attention to a number of small books about Bing on Amazon.  See
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=steven+king+crosby

I have looked at the one about Bing and it seems to rely heavily on my Day by Day book. I'm a bit confused about the others involving Bing as it seems to use the same text. I've ordered the one titled "Bing Crosby: The Billion Selling Artist" to have a closer look.

27/3/2018 2:54 pm  #2

Re: New books about Bing

Hello Malcolm! these books look like cheap knock off junk! Nothing like the gorgeously researched book that is yours. I randomly open a page to your book and just read a page or two almost every single day as a way to relax and get transported back to a simplier and more classy time. Thanks again for your book!

28/3/2018 5:17 am  #3

Thanks RickyG for your kind words.

28/3/2018 11:37 pm  #4

Of course, I haven't taken a closer look at them, but from the covers alone, it looks like these may be assembly-line books that rely heavily on other, much more reputable sources. The reason for thinking this is that it seems odd that one would do a whole series of books entitled Bing and...; it seems to me that very little thought has been given to these books, although of course I could be wrong. Malcolm, please write a brief review of the one you've ordered once you receive it here. If they're valuable, I'd love to take a closer look at them!

29/3/2018 5:34 am  #5

Will do.

30/3/2018 1:09 pm  #6

The book has arrived! It has 76 A5 size pages. There are 19 pages of biography (nice to read so many sentences from my Day by Day book!) and 12 pages of black and white photos. The remainder comprises appendices of chart hits, films, TV appearances etc. Everything in the book is very accurate and it seems that the extensive information on the BING magazine web site and on Wikipedia has been intensively used.  The print is small. No author's name is quoted but I am guessing that it was probably an ICC member as the text reveals some long term knowledge. It reminds me of the Bing Crosby Information File the ICC put out many years ago.

30/3/2018 3:46 pm  #7

Malcolm,

I am sorry to read that someone (ICC member or not) is anonymously trying to make a buck off a series of books on Bing by pilfering your wonderful book and using the online databases on Bing currently available. It's good to know because now I won't spend a cent on that type of book. The truth is I already had that impression from merely looking at the covers of the books, but it's good to have a confirmation. So thank you!

Board footera