15/4/2013 10:48 am  #1

Bing Crosby Discography

It is just possible that some might have noticed that my discography at http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Artists/Crosby/crosby.html  has not been updated for a little while, though if anyone has noticed they have remained courteously silent on the subject!

There are several new CD issues not yet included, and I apologise if anyone has been seeking information that is just not yet there. I also apologise to those who have sent me corrections that I have not yet incorporated. 

As a reason (or excuse), an abbreviated version of a longer story is that some months ago, having updated the information, I was about to send it to the internet host (jazzdiscograpy) when I realised that part was wrong - it was gobbledegook.

After several checks and tests a computer technician told me I had a faulty sectors on the hard disc that was not being flagged by the operating system. (That is the edited version - he actually implied that I must have ignored warnings).

Backups, you say - Ah, yes  - I went to my backup.- which I keep on a second hard disc. The only problem was that each successive backup was overwriting the previous one with the same faulty data. (The technician again implied I must have had warnings - I might have done but failed to appreciate what was meant).

A new hard disc and new backup regime now in place, I've nearly completed a painstaking side by side comparison and correction  process, so hope to be online with an updated and corrected version of the discography shortly. There was not in fact a great deal wrong, but I had to be safe and check the lot. That comparison process is the best way yet discovered of inducing sleep.

In the meantime there are several people who have sent me corrections and who must be wondering why their corrections are still not incorporated. They will be!.

30/4/2013 3:15 pm  #2

Re: Bing Crosby Discography

If there is a just God, there will be a special place in Heaven for diligent, long-suffering, monetarily-uncompensated discographers like yourself, Richard, who toil years for the benefit of many others, all the time worrying if an error or two gets through.

01/10/2015 5:02 pm  #3

For too long I have failed to maintain and update the online Bing Crosby discography.

I have been unable to devote the time to it that I would have liked, but David Currington has bravely stepped into the breach and has taken the project over. He has been updating it and making a number of corrections that had come to light.

My eternal thanks go to him for devoting the time and energy needed to familiarise himself with the software that "runs" it all.

He has got to grips with the updating and editing process and sailed through waters that for him were uncharted with only my very remote occasional help from the opposite side of the planet.

The opportunity has been taken to place it on the "Bing" magazine website but there is a "mirror" in the original place and the original links will still work, though it might be necessary to hit the "refresh" or "reload" button on your computer to ensure that the latest version is shown

The updated version on the "Bing" magazine site is here. (look for "A Crosby Discography" in the side panel)

24/3/2018 8:20 am  #4

The online discography which I originated more years ago than I care to remember, has been under the custody of David Currington for some years, and I am very grateful to him for taking it over when I was not in a position to devote much time to it.

David in his turn has now handed over to Malcolm Macfarlane, who has assumed yet another responsibility for matters Bing, brave man. The updated version is still where it was, on the Bing Magazine website, http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/crosby.html repeated on the Jazzdiscography site http://www.jazzdiscography.com/ where there are a number of iother nteresting discographies.

Board footera