08/2/2018 1:59 am  #1

Phil Harris 45rpm

I am a big fan of Phil Harris (1904-1995) and although he is a "non-singer", he did have a way with a song. I was looking for a book of 45rpms that were my stepfather's mother's records, and I found a nice 45rpm Phil made in 1968. I have not heard it before. I have heard of the songs, but as I get older these songs take on a newer meaning...

Last edited by Lobosco (08/2/2018 6:59 pm)

08/2/2018 2:01 am  #2

Re: Phil Harris 45rpm

This is my personal favorite song...

08/2/2018 7:17 am  #3

David, as a fan of Phil Harris you probably know that in 1927 he played drums in Carol Lofner's orchestra in Australia at the Palais de Danse in Melbourne. The band included American and Australian musicians. Subsequently Harris wrote to the music magazine TEMPO stating 'the year spent in Melbourne playing at the Palais was one of the happiest of my life'.His recording of 'The thing' was a number one hit here.

08/2/2018 6:58 pm  #4

That is very interesting. Phil Harris seemed very down to earth and genuine. That's probably why Bing counted him as a close friend.

08/2/2018 8:10 pm  #5

When I met Bing in Seattle in 1957 he was with Bing.
I was so in awe of seeing Bing and saying hello that I ignored Phil. Looking back I guess I may have been quite rude to ignore him but I was only 23 and just landed from Australia a few days beforehand and couldn't believe my luck in actually meeting Bing after being a fan for about 13 years and just having arrived in North America. Later on I attended a Bob Crosby fun raiser in Los Angeles and visited the Crosby office and met Larry.
Later on I met and spoke to Bing a few times when living in England late 60's and 70's.

11/4/2020 6:42 am  #6

I enjoyed that Lucy Show. I don't know whether it was shown on Australian TV; I Love Lucy certainly was and I'm sure the Harris-Faye radio show was not broadcast here. I don't think I've seen any Alice Faye movies. When I lived in Chicago in 1957 a local DJ named Marty Faye  frequently mentioned his sister Alice Faye but I had no idea who she was. Did she ever perform with Bing?

11/4/2020 8:44 am  #7

Graham Pascoe wrote:

I don't think I've seen any Alice Faye movies. When I lived in Chicago in 1957 a local DJ named Marty Faye  frequently mentioned his sister Alice Faye but I had no idea who she was. Did she ever perform with Bing?

Graham,

Alice Faye and her husband Phil Harris (who was of course something of a buddy of Bing's) appeared together on The Hollywood Palace, 18 February 1967, and did a routine with Bing that included K-K-K Katy, Hello, Frisco, Hello, Has Anybody Here Seen Kelly, Grizzly Bear, Hug Up Close To Your Baby and Alexander's Ragtime Band.

I'm a trifle surprised that you have seen none of her movies which were many and included Rose of Washington Square, Hello, Frisco, Hello, Alexander's Ragtime Band and  the 1962 version of State Fair in a career that went back to 1934.

Board footera