11/7/2017 6:31 pm  #1

Legends of Las Vegas ... Bing!

You might be interested in a podcast series I recently discovered, which I believe is not yet mentioned here.
It is named "Legends of Las Vegas". The 2-hour podcast of may 28 2017 features Bing:
https://player.fm/series/legends-of-las-vegas/bing-crosby

More on the podcast series:
"Singer Gary Williams celebrates the Legends of Las Vegas with two hours of great music and chat.
Originally broadcast on The Wireless for Age UK for anyone who remembers the great David Jacobs and Desmond Carrington from BBC Radio 2 and enjoys today's Clare Teal, Don Black and Leo Green."

The podcast series contains episodes on many other stars, like Rosemary Clooney, Nelson Eddy, Billy Eckstine and Count Basie to name just a few. I won't comment on it's title 'Legends of Las Vegas'... But it's a nice show!

The podcast on Bing follows Bing's career, contains many of his songs (and songs of his contemporaries) and a nice anecdote which I haven't heard before. When Paul Whiteman was asked how he finds working with Bing, he commented: Ït wasn't a case of how I find him, I could never find him!"

Recommended!

10/8/2017 2:57 am  #2

Re: Legends of Las Vegas ... Bing!

Thanks Frans. There are some beaut selections of Bing and others. I enjoyed it.

10/8/2017 3:52 pm  #3

Funny, but I don't associate Bing with Vegas at all. I can't remember ever seeing a hotel marquee bearing his name as the nightclub headliner.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

11/8/2017 6:00 am  #4

I have this one from 1976 when he was at the Aladdin.

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (11/8/2017 7:37 am)

11/8/2017 4:32 pm  #5

Ah ha!!! So he took the last touring show with the whole ensemble to Vegas? That is quite interesting. Perhaps breaking it in to take on the road to larger venues?  THANKS.

But, I was thinking of the "Golden Age" of Vegas (1955-1968) and thinking that Bing would not be the gambler's draw in that setting at that time.

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

Board footera