11/7/2017 5:58 pm  #1

Bing with Eddie Condon - new alternate takes?

I recently became aware of a Mosaic set, released around 2015, named 'Eddie Condon & Bert Freeman: Complete Commodore and Decca sessions. The song list on the Mosaic website (http://www.mosaicrecords.com/discography.asp?number=259-MD-CD&price=$136.00&copies=8) lists a number of alternate takes of the songs Bing recorded with Eddie Condon in 1946, which I think are not all in the Crosby discography.

This is what the song list on the Mosaic website has to say about the afore mentioned session:
"(X) BING CROSBY and EDDIE CONDON AND HIS ORCHESTRA: Wild Bill Davison (cor), Brad Gowans (valide, arr), Joe Dixon (cl), Bud Freeman (ts), Gene Schroeder -1, Joe Sullivan -2, Joe Bushkin -3 (p), Bob Haggart (b), George Wettling (d), Bing Crosby (vcl).                                  Decca Studios, January 16, 1946    
W73278-A        Blue [And Broken Hearted] (BC-vcl) -1    Dec 24114
W73279-BD        After You’ve Gone (BG-arr) (BC-vcl) -2    unissued 
W73279-alt #1    After You’ve Gone (BG-arr) (BC-vcl) -2    Dec GRP 603 (CD)
W73279-alt #2        After You’ve Gone (BG-arr) (BC-vcl) -2    unissued
W73279-A        After You’ve Gone (BG-arr) (BC-vcl) -2    Dec 24114
W73280-A         Personality (BC-vcl) -3            Dec 18790
W73280-alt         Personality (BC-vcl) -3            unissued
Note: There is a false start prior to the beginning of matrix 73280-A which was released on Decca GRP 603 (CD) and is included in this set. 
Brad Gowans is probably the arranger on all the titles from this session."

Does anyone have more information about this?

Oh, and a further note from Mosaic:
"Any sides that have been shown in discographies but are missing from the vaults or possibly in private collections are listed as unissued, master no longer exists. If a title is shown as unissued this means that the performance does exist but it is not included in this package because of damage to the original disc or because of space limitations has forced us to include only the most exceptional alternate take. If a second title is shown in brackets, this designates an alternate or more commonly known title yet is not printed on the original label. "

Last edited by frans (11/7/2017 6:01 pm)

11/7/2017 10:50 pm  #2

Re: Bing with Eddie Condon - new alternate takes?

Frans,  that is very interesting, and a little puzzling that no one among the Crosby community seems to have noticed.

Also very puzzling that, so far as I am aware, none of the Crosby researchers who had access to the Decca archives have come up with the listing.
I wonder, does any one among us have the Condon/ Freeman set? Personally I'm not too keen to dash off $136 in the expectation that there might be some interesting alternates. Different master numbers are not always a reliable indication, because some were created by dubbing.

12/7/2017 8:31 am  #3

Richard, I don't have the set either and am not even certain whether or not these alternate takes are on the set. I guess it would be much wiser to inform at Mosaic Records than dashing of the $ 136 for the set.

12/7/2017 11:28 am  #4

frans wrote:

Richard, I don't have the set either and am not even certain whether or not these alternate takes are on the set. I guess it would be much wiser to inform at Mosaic Records than dashing of the $ 136 for the set.

Frans, your hint is a salutary corrective to me. The alternatives listed on the Mosaic site are part of their discographical listing and not of the tracks included in the set.
I'll venture the guess that in accordance with their slightly elliptical note that the sides no longer exist, which would answer many possible questions, though I would still have expected that they might have been included in (for example) Morgereth's book which includes such items as "hold indefinitely" or "hold conditional" and "destroyed" from the studio records. 

16/7/2017 10:42 pm  #5

Judging by the discography, it seems the Mosaic set includes the commercial 78 takes plus alternate version used on on:
GRP GRD-603 Bing Crosby, Bing Crosby and Some Jazz Friends

If a title is shown as unissued this means that the performance does exist but it is not included in this package because of damage to the original disc or because of space limitations has forced us to include only the most exceptional alternate take.

Take your pick from either of those reasons - damage, or lack of space. It's a bit confusing because of their lack of quote marks, but unissued, master no longer exists is noted where that is the case. 

16/10/2017 5:10 pm  #6

Richard and/or Frans,

I assume these are the same existing recordings present on "Chronological Volume 41"? If one has Volume 41, would I also need "Bing Crosby and Some Jazz Friends"?

Zane Johnson

17/10/2017 7:00 am  #7

Zane, according to my notes both versions are on both CDs.

If any confusion exists around this series of posts the fault is mine, because I had confused references to takes which have not survived to actual issues.

21/6/2018 7:02 am  #8

Being a Condon fan, I purchased the Mosaic "Complete Commodore & Decca Eddie Condon & Bud Freeman Sessions". As noted above, the takes listed as "unissued" were not included in the set, but presumably still exist. Since the set is already 8 quite full CDs, it may be that space considerations were part of the reason they were left off.

There are a couple of other things in the liner notes on the Crosby session that caught my attention. One is a nice picture of Bing and Eddie Condon looking over the sheet music, and to my surprise, sitting on the floor nearby is Alan Lomax. I wonder what he was doing at a Condon/Crosby session? (It is too early for him to be plugging his Father's 1947 autobiography, which was considered for a film with Bing playing John Lomax.)

The other is the following comment in the liner notes: "Nota bene: From Brad Gowans' papers at the Institute of Jazz Studies, a gift from a friend of a late friend, I discovered that Bing had arranged for his session fee to be divided among the musicians." A nice gesture, and it clearly indicates that recording with the Condon gang was a labor of love for Bing.

Board footera