10/3/2017 7:09 pm  #1

New Biography available for streaming on Amazon.com

Chris Crosby, Bing's nephew and Godson has posted a new documentary he's completed on Bing as he knew him.  I watched it last night and found it really informative and entertaining...Not sure it is available in any other form but through streaming via Amazon Prime but it is worth a watch!

10/3/2017 11:57 pm  #2

Re: New Biography available for streaming on Amazon.com

JayIsh wrote:

Chris Crosby, Bing's nephew and Godson has posted a new documentary he's completed on Bing as he knew him.  I watched it last night and found it really informative and entertaining...Not sure it is available in any other form but through streaming via Amazon Prime but it is worth a watch!

Thank you "JayIsh".

The film is exclusive to Amazon Prime and subscribers should search on 
"Crosby in Search Of Crosby - Bing: The Truth Behind The Legend"

There is also a trailer on Youtube

I review it in "Keeping Track" in the next issue of "Bing" due out in a few weeks time.

I'd be interested in the views of others. I found it odd that Bing's life after the mid 1950s has barely a mention.

12/3/2017 4:46 am  #3

The trailer is tantalising. I wonder how many people other than Crosby enthusiasts will watch the documentary.

13/3/2017 9:49 pm  #4

Oh my....I just don't know. Yes, it is nice to get Bing's name "out there" again. But after all of this time, with all of these old interviews of contemporaries now long gone as well I don't know how much attention it will get.

And, I have to honestly say that my interest in the whole thing rather diminished when I saw that his nephew is "getting into the act" singing, etc. It's like he's looking for his 5 minutes of fame.

Last edited by paulmock (13/3/2017 9:49 pm)

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

14/3/2017 11:22 pm  #5

I watched half of the documentary on my lunch and I will watch the rest tonight.

A few observations:

1. Terry Moore has a lot of supposed knowledge of Bing womanizing when she was a young girlfrend of Howard Hughes. I doubt Terry actually had much interaction with Bing,

2. I'm not sure if Chris Crosby is trying to paint a portrait of Bing as a superstar or as a cold womanizer. The documentary keeps going back and forth.

3. I do like some of the extending interviews that I have never seen with Bob Crosby and Phil Crosby.

4. Not to bad mouth Bob Hope, but Bing collapsed in Bob Hope's arms at Dixie's funeral. Was Bob even really there?

5. It is worth it to see different Bing clips, and I always like to see people talk good about Bing. Joan Caulfield was interviewed and that is another one that was new to me. However, a lot of the clips were from the Remembering Bing documentary from 1987.

6. Overall it was interesting but pretty amateurish overall. I'll post again when I see the rest.

15/3/2017 5:27 pm  #6

I believe Hope was there. Have to double check though as I think he is in a photo behind the coffin, if I remember correctly.
Bing was going out with Mona Freeman (was she a friend of Terry's?) and also with Joan and talk that he might divorce Dixie, but because of being Catholic he didn't. A couple of brothers divorced and re-married as well as sons.

16/3/2017 7:10 am  #7

Bing did not go out with Mona until after Dixie's death. The  alleged relationship with Joan Caulfield was in 1946.

16/3/2017 2:25 pm  #8

I have to be blunt and say that the documentary falls very far short of it's promise, which is  that Chris has “spent a lifetime documenting testimony from those who loved and knew Bing best”

That implies an in depth study painstakingly prepared and deeply researched but I fear that there is not a great deal to show from all that effort. A significant part of Bing's life is wholly ignored and many of those "who loved and knew Bing best”  don't even get a mention. 

17/3/2017 12:52 am  #9

I realise that Bing went out with Mona after Dixie died. There was newspaper talk of wedding bells with her. I think that happened every time Bing took someone out after Dixie died.

21/4/2017 6:23 am  #10

I've watched the trailer again and after reading contributors' comments I'm reminded of a book I've read recently, YOU CALL IT MADNESS by Lenny Kaye. As a biography of Russ Columbo and notes on other entertainers of that era it's informative but it's hard to tell how well it was researched because no sources are documented. Furthermore,the style of writing (as a novel) is not at all appealing to me.

Board footera