10/7/2016 11:02 am  #1

Why is sound so low on certain dvd's?

When I watch certain dvd's like Welcome Stranger and Going Hollywood the sound seems very low. The same movies I had recorded on to dvd from VHS [before they were released on dvd] and the sound is way better. The official releases may have a great picture but why such poor sound?

Peace and Love! 

10/7/2016 12:01 pm  #2

Re: Why is sound so low on certain dvd's?

48blonde wrote:

When I watch certain dvd's like Welcome Stranger and Going Hollywood the sound seems very low. The same movies I had recorded on to dvd from VHS [before they were released on dvd] and the sound is way better. The official releases may have a great picture but why such poor sound?

Carmela, You seem to be covering those DVDs which you have recorded yourself from VHS versions and comparing with the commercial versions. I can understand that the sound volume could differ - much would depend on the settings of the equipment used, but I'd be amazed if the QUALITY of a legitimate commercial DVD is poorer than the version copied from VHS. Not only is VHS itself not up to the standard achieved on DVD, but the very act of making a copy results in the recording going through an additional process with drop in quality.  I wonder if the pure fact of louder sound is deceiving you into thinking it is better? If you turn up the volume on the commercially produced version is the quality still unacceptable?

It is also likely that the dynamic range on the DVD is wider than that on VHS - with louder peaks and softer "quiet patches", which can be annoying to some and confuse the issue.  

11/7/2016 12:00 pm  #3

Richard, I tried everything with the dvds. I even played them in different rooms on different equipment. The sound is terrible. White Christmas has great sound. I guess it is only with some of his older movies.

Peace and Love! 

12/7/2016 11:33 pm  #4

Afraid you've got me bewildered, Carmela.  

A very quick check of several Bing's films of 1940s on DVD, including Welcome Stranger confirms to me there is nothing wrong with my copies. Standard 1940s type sound, no better and no worse than many others. 
I cannot understand how CD copies of VHS versions could be better, but if that is your experience you should perhaps stick with the copied versions. 

13/7/2016 11:01 am  #5

Richard,Maybe they do a better job on the sound in England. I'll keep Calm and Carry On!

Peace and Love! 

Board footera