29/5/2016 8:25 pm  #1

Road to Singapore

Road to Singapore is my favorite road movie. It was the first in the series. Many funny scenes and a great song "Too Romantc"! It is underrated and in my opinion the Best road movie. I read of few articles in Bing Mag that mention Road to Morocco as the best road movie. Not everyone thinks it is. I don't. I would put Singapore first. Any others out there who don't think Morocco is the best road movie?

Peace and Love! 

30/5/2016 6:12 pm  #2

Re: Road to Singapore

For my part, Carmela, I cannot say with any certainty which I might have as a favorite.

Each time I see a film in the series I am reminded of some wisecrack or apparent ad lib or song or possibly I might even notice something I had not noticed before which might make me think that whatever it was that caught my attention makes the film stand out - - - until the next one  - - 

But in general I think that the early films were possibly the best. The later ones were getting a little tired. But then if you saw the later ones first - - -

31/5/2016 5:04 pm  #3

Sometime back I did start a thread on The Road pictures order of preference. Not sure under what section and heading that was. I think the general concenus was that Hong Kong Was the worst.

01/6/2016 4:36 pm  #4

Ron Field wrote:

Sometime back I did start a thread on The Road pictures order of preference. Not sure under what section and heading that was. I think the general concenus was that Hong Kong Was the worst.

Ron, - It's here - follow this link for it  http://crosbyfanworld.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=511

I would agree about Hong Kong. Trying to recreate past glories was not a good idea. 

02/6/2016 7:25 am  #5

Carmela, I also have a soft spot for ROAD TO SINGAPORE and especially to Bing's rendition of 'Too romantic'. The articles in the latest issue of BING are thought-provoking. I've sent a note to Malcolm about the popularity of the various ROAD movies in Australia so perhaps it may appear in a future issue of the magazine.

02/6/2016 12:46 pm  #6

Thanks Graham! I hope your article is in the next Bing Mag. I forgot to mention. This is from the female point of view- Bing and Bob looked very handsome in Road to Singapore! In Morocco, I thought they looked silly and slightly older. I think Morocco is a funny movie but it is just not my favorite in the series.

Peace and Love! 

01/7/2016 3:19 am  #7

I too, have always thought Road To Singapore is an excellent film, and certainly in the running for best "Road" film. The thing I like about Singapore is that it is the only "Road" film where Bing's character has a family, a father and a fiancé. Also, it predates the antics of speaking to the camera and talking camels, etc. It is not that I do not like the zany developments as the "Road" films progressed, but I do like the fact that in Singapore they played it straight. I think the first 5 "Road": films are all excellent. Bali is a step down and Hong Kong a couple of further steps down.

When they had the Bing Crosby Film Festival for a week at the Lincoln Center a number of years ago. I went for two of those days. "Road to Zanzibar" was screened one of those days and I got such a big kick out of hearing people, who had obviously never seen the film before, laughing out loud at jokes and gags that I only smile at now after dozens of viewings of each "Road" film. They are classics and whenever they are on TV, I watch and wonder who out there is seeing it for the first time and laughing their head off.

03/4/2019 4:44 am  #8

See above Richard's comment.
Back in 2011 Lobosco had a discussion site on the Road movies

03/4/2019 10:32 am  #9

Ron Field wrote:

See above Richard's comment.
Back in 2011 Lobosco had a discussion site on the Road movies

With the lack of conversation on the board, I don't think that another post on the Road movies is a bad thing.

Board footera