03/4/2014 3:22 pm  #1

Star Spangled Radio Hour

The Star spangled Hour, here 
http://media.studio1430.com/a/89522418/ssrh-4-5-14.htm

is streaming a broadcast from  “Kraft Music Hall” No. 331 Thursday, May 4, 1944 6:00-6:30 p.m. PWT NBC Hollywood Ken Carpenter, announcer Bing Crosby, host, Gene Kelly, guest With Marilyn Maxwell, The Charioteers, The Music Maids and Men, Leo “Ukie” Sherin, John Scott Trotter and Orchestra

There is also a Johnny Mercer show - “Chesterfield Music Shop” Tuesday, August 15, 1944 7:00-7:15 p.m. NBC Hollywood (NBC) Wendell Niles, announcer Johnny Mercer, host Jack Teagarden, guest With Jo Stafford, the Pied Pipers, Paul Weston and Orchestra. 

It should remain available for a week or two.

03/8/2014 6:50 am  #2

Re: Star Spangled Radio Hour

Star Spangled Radio Hour has put up another Bing show. See http://media.studio1430.com/a/94970118/ssrh-7-26-14.htm for the Kraft Music Hall of July 27, 1944. Only available for a short time.

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (03/8/2014 8:29 am)

05/11/2014 9:25 am  #3

Another show with Bing at Star Spangled Radio Hour here 
http://media.studio1430.com/a/98484416/ssrh-10-25-14.htm

Bing denies he is Frank Sinatra's father, sings Snoqualmie Jo and is joined by Helen Forrest,  Linda Darnell and others.
from G. I. Journal 52 Recorded July 14, 1944
Stream it or download it.

06/11/2014 11:16 am  #4

Thanks Richard. Excellent quality.

06/11/2014 7:39 pm  #5

Great sound and even Australia gets a mention,

18/12/2014 3:45 pm  #6

Star Spangled Radio Hour has another of Bing's KMH shows  -

"BING CROSBY Kraft Music Hall 348 Thursday, November 30, 1944 6:00 p. m. PWT NBC Hollywood Ken Carpenter, announcer Bing Crosby, host Spike Jones and his City Slickers, guests With Eugenie Baird, The Charioteers, Charles Henderson and the Kraft Choir, John Scott Trotter and his Orchestra"

The show went out on 11-29-14 but I seem to have missed it though it is stll available. The site used to remove shows quite rapidly but appear now to hold them for some while.

The link for streaming and details of the show  here 

The home site mostly devoted to Glenn Miller, with full list of recent shows and download options. here

20/12/2014 5:30 pm  #7

- And they have now got another  here

"BING CROSBY THE KRAFT MUSIC HALL Thursday, December 21, 1944, 6:00-6:30 p.m. PWT NBC Hollywood (NBC) Ken Carpenter, announcer Bing Crosby, host With Eugenie Baird, The Charioteers, Charles Henderson and the Kraft Choir, The Kraft Choral Club (from Chicago), John Scott Trotter and his Orchestra".

Includes many of the favourites that became a perennial part of Bing's Christmas shows and his comments about servicemen and his experience overseas.

ADDITION
The introducers spend some time at the beginning talking about the recent PBS broadcast and it's references to Bing's character (and that book by Gary Crosby).

Last edited by Richard Baker (23/12/2014 11:42 pm)

02/3/2015 7:02 pm  #8

Another good KMH show from March 1st. 1945 on the Star Spangled Radio Hour. See http://www.studio1430.com/pages/6965332.php

04/3/2015 10:54 pm  #9

Nice listening. Would have been great to attend one of Bing's radio shows especially when they started to pre-record on tape and no doubt took a few liberties.

05/3/2015 9:00 am  #10

I'd have loved to attend any of them, Ron.

But you raise a topic that has interested me for a long time. I wonder if anyone can throw any light on the following.

We all know about the value which the broadcasters attached to "live" broadcasts and the battles that Bing had to introduce recording. This was firstly to disc for the early Philco shows, later to tape. It is certainly the fact that the early Philcos were recorded in front of an audience, with occasional songs "dropped" into the recording,  but there is abundant evidence that later shows were assembled from pre-recorded parts, the whole being assembled to sound as if before a live audience. The indisputable evidence for such an approach is the series of broadcasts made whilst Bing was in France, but there are a few pointers that the process was already established by then. We also now have many individual songs made for the Chesterfield and GE shows on CD, clearly recorded in studio conditions with no trace of any audience.

And my query is to do with the audiences. To what extent, if at all, were the shows in front of  audiences by the time of the later Chesterfield and into the GE sequences? Was Bing miming to pre recorded songs with "live" connecting pieces, playlets etc, or was it wholly manufactured, with for example taped applause added? 

There are some obvious exceptions where the shows were genuine - visits to Forces bases and trips to Canada and the East coast appear to have been taped "live", but I'd love to hear from someone who can give some definitive facts about the evolution of the shows during the late 1940s and early 1950s. 

By the time of three series of CBS short shows starting in 1954, "The Bing Crosby Show", "The Ford Road Show" and "The Crosby - Clooney Show" there was no pretence at all. 

05/3/2015 9:57 pm  #11

Richard,
Wonder if Bob Phillips, who worked for Bing and attended Leeds last year could throw some light on the subject. Or may be KenBarnes might have some info seeing that he made a number of albums with him and the matter could have mentioned.

07/4/2015 11:38 am  #12

Another in the sequence of the "Star Spangled Radio Hour" covers a Bing Crosby radio show, this time from  “Command Performance”  of Thursday, April 5, 1945,
Ken Carpenter, announcer  and Marilyn Maxwell, Johnny Mercer, Lionel Barrymore, Dame Mae Whittey.

http://media.studio1430.com/a/103913681/ssrh-4-4-15.htm

Bing has won his Oscar and is unmercifully teased by Ken Carpenter and Marilyn Maxwell, who tells him he can now quit singing and make an honest living.

Humorous comments about Mr Thin Between (guess who?)

Star Spangled Radio Hour continues with a Tommy Dorsey broadcast from March 19, 1945.

11/5/2015 8:23 am  #13

Another good show featuring Bing on the Star Spangled Radio Hour. 

AFRS SPECIAL VICTORY IN EUROPE (V-E) DAY PROGRAM Recorded April 1945 CBS Hollywood Basic Information Library B-5 Released May 8, 1945 Bob Hope, host, with Bing Crosby, Frances Langford, Dinah Shore, Ginny Simms, Judy Garland, “G. I. Jill” Martha Wilkerson, Loretta Young, Johnny Mercer, Charles Boyer, Lin Yutang, Herbert Marshall, Michael Chekov, the Ken Darby Singers, Msgr. Fulton J. Sheen, Rabbi Edgar F. Magnin, Rev. R. H. Brooks, Major Meredith Willson and the AFRS Orchestra

See http://media.studio1430.com/a/104901790/ssrh-5-9-15.htm

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (11/5/2015 8:26 am)

31/5/2015 8:08 am  #14

Another show with Bing on Star Spangled Radio Hour. Quality not as good as usual though.  See http://media.studio1430.com/a/105940884/ssrh-5-30-15.htm

COMMAND PERFORMANCE 182 CELEBRATING G. I. JIVE’S 1,000TH PROGRAM Thursday, July 5, 1945 CBS Hollywood Studio A (AFRS) Ken Carpenter announcer Bing Crosby, host With “G. I. Jill” Martha Wilkerson, Ella Mae Morse, Tommy Dorsey, Spike Jones and his City Slickers, Major Meredith Willson AFRS Orchestra G. I. JIVE 932 Recorded in 1945 Radio Recorders, Inc. (AFRS) “G. I. Jill,” Martha Wilkerson, host SSRH 260 Playlist Part 1: Sentimental Journey (Bing Crosby with Orchestra), Star Dust (Tommy Dorsey (trombone solo) with Orchestra, Cow Cow Boogie (Ella Mae Morse with Orchestra), Chloe (Spike Jones and his City Slickers; Red Ingle, vocal); Medley: Don’t Fence Me In, Paper Doll, I’ll Walk Alone (Bing Crosby with Orchestra); I’m Getting Sentimental Over You (Tommy Dorsey with Spike Jones and his City Slickers), I’ll Be Seeing You (Bing Crosby with Orchestra)

12/8/2015 6:30 am  #15

The current podcast from The Star Spangled Radio Hour is of "AFRS VICTORY EXTRA" - A COMMAND PERFORMANCE SPECIAL Broadcast Uponthe Surrender of Japan"

A Star Spangled Line up indeed - 
" Tuesday, August 14, 1945 CBS Hollywood Studio A AFRS H-9-125 Ken Carpenter announcer Bing Crosby, host Major Meredith Willson AFRS Orchestra Col. Thomas H. A. Lewis (Commanding Officer, AFRS), Ronald Coleman, Rise Stevens, Dinah Shore, Bette Davis, Jimmy Durante, Lionel Barrymore, Jose Iturbi, Marlene Dietrich, Burgess Meredith, Ginny Simms, Frank Sinatra, Rita Hayworth, Desi Arnaz, Ernest “Bubbles” Whitman, Ida Lupino, Ginger Rogers, Ruth Hussey, Claire Trevor, Don Wilson, Bill Mauldin, George Montgomery, John Conte, Jinx Falkenburg, Diana Lewis, Janet Blair, William Powell, Harry Von Zell, Lucille Ball, The King Sisters, Cary Grant, Robert Montgomery, Loretta Young, Lena Horne, G. I. Jill” Martha Wilkerson, Johnny Mercer, Edward G. Robinson, Orson Welles, Lina Romay, Danny Kaye, Marilyn Maxwell, Herbert Marshall, Carmen Miranda, Claudette Colbert, Ed “Archie” Gardner, Greer Garson SSRH 270 PLAYLIST: Part 1 includes: Opening Prayer (Ronald Coleman), Over There Fanfare, Program Open (Bing Crosby), Schubert’s Ave Maria (Rise Stevens), I’ll Walk Alone (Dinah Shore), Comedy Skit (Jimmy Durante and Bette Davis), Chopin’s Polonaise (Jose Iturbi), Tribute to Ernie Pyle (Marlene Dietrich and Burgess Meredith), You’d Be So Nice to Come Home To (Ginny Simms), Medley: You Are My Sunshine, Sonny Boy, You’re the Top (Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra), The House I Live In (Frank Sinatra), AFRS Victory Medley (Various Voices), What Is This Thing Called Love (Janet Blair), San Fernando Valley (Bing Crosby), Memorable Sounds of Command Performance (Harry Von Zell and Lucille Ball), Shoo Shoo Baby (The King Sisters), Words of FDR (Robert Montgomery), Over There Fanfare, AFRS Station Break Part 2 includes: Opening Remarks (Bing Crosby), Prayer For Tomorrow (Loretta Young), The Man I Love (Lena Horne), Comments about AFRS, the Broadcasting and Entertainment Industries by Col. Thomas H. A. Lewis, G. I. Jive (Johnny Mercer), Famous Wartime Words (Edward G. Robinson and Orson Welles), Chiu Chiu (Lina Romay), Hello, Fresno, Goodbye (Danny Kaye), I Got Rhythm (Marilyn Maxwell), Wartime Poem (Herbert Marshall), Tico Tico (Carmen Miranda), Comedy Skit (Claudette Colbert, Ed “Archie” Gardner), White Christmas (Bing Crosby), Victory Prayer (Orson Welles), The Star Spangled Banner (Maj. Meredith Willson and the AFRS Orchestra)

12/8/2015 4:34 pm  #16

They should have Ronald Coleman shown correctly as COLMAN.
I was named after him.
A few years ago, here in Morton, we presented State Fair and in the script books we received they him Colman as Coleman. I wrote to the company pointing this error out to them. They said they would fix it up in reprints.

02/11/2015 8:27 am  #17

"Star Spangled Radio Hour" has another of Bing Crosby's shows here - http://media.studio1430.com/a/110564810/ssrh-10-31-15.htm

22/6/2016 6:10 am  #18

Star Spangled Radio Hour has a G.I. Journal show from the summer of 1944.

I cannot pin this one down. It is clearly an assemblage from previous shows, with Bing singing It Had To Be You as well as participating in a bit of comedy but I cannot at present identify where the song might come from.

28/6/2016 5:55 am  #19

I've just listened to the Star Spangled Radio Hour's two shows from 1939 featuring Jimmy Dorsey and Bob Crosby respectively. I can't recall how I found them but they were interesting and enjoyable. Jimmy Dorsey's clarinet playing was amazing.

02/7/2016 1:48 pm  #20

As Graham Pascoe points out there is a lot at Star Spangled Radio Hour that covers shows apart from Bing's.

Access the site through this link  

You can then browse through all the shows that they have. 

The latest podcast covering a Louis Armstrong show as well as Bing's Philco Radio show # 97 from 16 March 1949 is here 

18/11/2017 4:46 pm  #21

The Star Spangled Radio Hour has regularly featured Bing's radio Kraft Music Hall and AFRS  shows. Currently they are streaming a group of shows which includes KMH #347 from November 1944. Click here  

Unfortunately for those outside North America access now seems to have been restricted so we can no longer enjoy this very good streaming service.

20/11/2017 7:02 pm  #22

Richard, the show plays OK in Wilmslow.

20/11/2017 7:43 pm  #23

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

Richard, the show plays OK in Wilmslow.

Malcolm,
Possibly your device has a setting which conceals your location? The site is now totally inert for me! Exploring it I clicked on "Listen Live" and had an audio announcement "You have tuned in from a location outside North America" and it went on to say that the stream was restricted. Another try just now produced the same result.
I'll have to examine whether any settings will get around the obstacle for me!
I see neither a play nor a download option, both of which I could previously get.
Does anyone else have anything to report? 

20/11/2017 10:34 pm  #24

Alright in Morton

21/11/2017 6:06 am  #25

I’m in Germany at the moment and it streams without any problems...

Board footera