20/2/2015 4:15 pm  #1

Bings 10-inch LPs: Recordings at the Dawn of the Microgroove

I'm going to be playing my 10" LPs today.  I don't have a lot of them.  I wonder how many of them have been thrown out by people who thought they were just old 78s.  They are from the time when microgroove recordings were new to consumers, when not long after the big-hole 45 r.p.m. record was being introduced as the new format for the single two-song record. They discovered you could actually put 4 songs on a 45, creating the EP (extended play) format as well. It had already occurred to them that larger records -- 78s had been offered mainly in 10 and 12-inch formats and radio had even used 16-inch disks -- could now with microgrooves begin to hold whole collections of songs, an album's worth of songs on a single record disk.

A battle began to shape up over which size -- 10 or 12" -- the long play (LP) album would take.  Some record companies and phonograph manufacturers bet on 10-inch, some on 12.  I've forgotten which companies took which side--perhaps someone else knows the story in more detail than I recall and can post more about it here--but I suspect that one of the arguments for the 10" format was that most popular music was in that size, and the majority of phonographs around had 10" turntable platters.  Twelve-inch 78s and the phonographs best designed to play them (though most 10" platter machines could still accommodate 12" records) were mostly used for classical music and other specialty recordings.  In short, 12" connoted the high-falutin', the long-haired fuddy-duddy, the carriage trade.  Just plain folks would want to stay with more compact record players when they bought the new 3-speed models, with flip-over or changable needles, to accommodate 78s, 45s, and the new 33s together.

It was a little like the fight between VHS and Beta-max when consumer video tape formats were first being promoted, though really not quite that serious.  In that case, when VHS prevailed, a lot of people ended up with Beta cassettes that just couldn't be played after their first Beta player crapped out.  Once 12" LPs became the winning LP format, people with 10" LPs could at least still play them.

As many Crosby record collectors know, Bing's first LPs were released in the 10" format.  Many were new microgrove re-releases of Decca's multi-record 78 albums Bing had already made.  There was a time when Bing's 4-record 78 album "Way Back Home", Decca number A-826, was also available as a 2-record (7") 45 album, number 9-204, and also as a 10" LP album, number DL531.  I have the 10" LP version, and it says this right in the upper right corner of the back cover which other formats were available.  Obviously, Decca wanted to make sure that any customers, regardless of their phonographic equipment, were going to be able to listen to that album! 

It is also significant to the Crosby LP collector that soon Bing's albums were being released FIRST on the new 10" LP format, beginning with "Le Bing."  Among these, "Some Fine Old Chestnuts", for example, got a later rerelease on 12" LP when that format prevailed, gaining some "bonus tracks" in the process.  It strikes some of us as strange that "Le Bing" never got a 12" rerelease; in fact it never got any rerelease until well into the next century with the recent CD containing it -- but, oh, the bushel of bonus tracks that format permitted!

It's also important to mention that all of this initial phase of the microgroove revolution happened before stereo.  Stereo arrived near the end of the 1950s. The American manufacturer of phonograph cartridges, Shure, introduced their first magnetic stereo cartridge, the M3D, in 1958.  With stereo there was a small but significant change to the microgroove format, as well. We could call that phase two of the revolution.  Before that time all of the single-channel, or monaural (usually abbreviated "mono"), LPs had been made with 1.0 mil (0.001 inch) grooves [a third of the width of most 78 grooves], but with stereo a slightly narrower groove -- 0.7 mil -- was introduced.  You could play stereo records on a mono record player now only if you upgraded to the 0.7 mil needle.  Stereo LPs from this period include dire warnings not to play them with the old mono needles. It could seriously damage the stereo records if you tried to play them with the over-sized needles.  But once you upgraded, you could play your old mono Lps with the slightly smaller stereo needle and cartridge without causing damage.  Why would you want to do this? Besides not wanting to throw out your old favorite records, a lot of people kept buying mono records, even after they started to buy some stereo records, partly because some recordings were not yet available in stereo or partly because, in those days, stereo records often cost nearly twice what the mono versions of them cost.

In a few years, mono releases were also put out with the 0.7 mil groove, so that second phase of the microgroove revolution is often forgotten.  But, today, the sticklers among old record collectors, will install a 1.0 mil stylus in their phono cartridges when they want to play their early mono records. The records will sound better that way.  That is part of the reason I'm playing my very early mono 10" LPs today.  I have gotten a new phono cartrige and needle combo that I have been trying out. The needle is not a 1.0 mil one, but one designed for the later 0.7 mil groove; however, it sounded extremely good on another very early mono LP yesterday.  Now, I want to see how it sounds with my oldest mono LPs -- these old 10-inchers.  Even though it isn't the perfect size for them, maybe for some reason it will track their grooves better, making them sound better, than the other cartridges I've tried.  It would be good to know if it does, since it will play any of my later mono and stereo records well, too, without having to worry about any needle changes --- not to mention that it is wonderful to hear these old records sound better, more true to what they were made to sound like.

So the 10" Crosby's LPs on the playlist will be:
--Way Back Home
--Der Bingle
--Le Bing
I've also got some Red Nichols, Rosemary Clooney, Benny Goodman, Doris Day...in that format, too.  I'll report back with some listener impressions.  Meanwhile, other members, please jump in and post remembrances of your 10" LP Crosbies, or other things you remember about the techonolgical changes around the dawn of the microgroove record.

Last edited by Steve Fay (20/2/2015 4:51 pm)

21/2/2015 8:54 am  #2

Re: Bings 10-inch LPs: Recordings at the Dawn of the Microgroove

An interesting post Steve.

Steven Lewis, who still maintains a web site (see link on banner above) has a piece written by Edward Wallerstein of his memories of the introduction of LPs here http://www.stevenlewis.info/crosby/lphist.htm

I am not at all sure that there was much tension between the 10 inch and 12 inch LP. The former was reckoned to be appropriate for the popular repertoire, the latter for classical works. (Popular music followers having such a limited attention span(!) if I remember some of the things written).# The primary tension was the matter of speeds - 33 rpm (Columbia) v 45 rpm (RCA). "The war of the speeds".
In the late '50s I acquired a big pile of old record review magazines and I remember seeing publicity shots from 1948 of the President of Columbia alongside two piles of records. One was of 78s which overtoppped him. The other was of a slim set of 12 inch LPs, a matter of inches high, which contained the same works. Someone might be able to find an archived copy of the photo?

Interestingly the first Bing LP was not from Decca, but Columbia - "Crosby Classics" on Columbia CL6027 -  see Wallerstein's article in the link above. One to add to your collection Steve? 

Another article here http://www.wired.com/2010/06/0621first-lp-released/ pointing to the origins in the 1930s.

# and both sizes were issued by the companies that followed Columbia with early 33 rpm issues. Classics also appeared on 10 inch LP based on the playing time of the works in question but for a few years popular repertoire was primarily confined to the 10 incher. It would be a bit of a mistake to assume that it was all 7 inch 45 rpm and 10 or 12 inch 33 rpm though. In the 70s there was a line of classical releases on 12 inch 45 rpm, the allegation being that the faster speed gave greater high end perforrmance, and I acquired one such. In Britain, at the same time, there was a line of cheapish 33 rpm 7 inch records for shorter classical works, but such formats did not last long. I also distinctly remember some news about a proposed issue of microgroove 12 inch 78 rpm on vinyl which it was suggested would be super fidelity. I have no recollection whether anything was ever issued in that format though. 

Last edited by Richard Baker (21/2/2015 11:46 am)

08/3/2015 6:32 am  #3

Re: Bings 10-inch LPs: Recordings at the Dawn of the Microgroove

Edward Wallerstein's recollections of the development (post-war) of LP records reminded me of some information which I discovered when I was researching Bing's impact on Australian entertainment. Long-playing records had been introduced fro sale in Australia in 1951. English Decca LPs of the classics had been imported by EMI which was the dominant record company in Australia with its major production facility, owned by Columbia Graphophone (Australai), in the Sydney suburb of Homebush. In May EMI announced that locally-pressed LPs would be available in November. Ron Wills was the National Sales Manager of EMI at the time. He later wrote that he was assured that pressing the LPs at Homebuch would be 'a piece of cake'. However, 'As it turned out it was not aseasy as that. The first pressings were abysmal failures and they continued to be that until the factory staff got it right'. The change to LPs inevitably met with some resistance from consumers and record stores. A youthful Barry Humphries (later to become a famous entertainer) worked in EMI's warehouse in Melbourne and his boss had warned him that many Australian pressings were defective and the company's policy was to accept them and replace them.In reality, however, Humphries wrote in his autobiography that 'the returned disc was  put straight back into stock and, to use a word that was unknown in those days, 'recycled'...'

Board footera