06/12/2014 4:01 pm  #1

White Christmas

I watched White Christmas this morning and I noticed 2 things. In a couple of scenes the costumes from Holiday Inn are in the background[The dresses from the Freedom number, red white and blue]. The scene when the show if first performed for the general and Bing, Rosie, Danny and Vera-Ellen get off the stage to go near piano to sing Mandy, look at the racks behind them. Another scene is when Bing and Danny open the doors to look at snow there is a dress on a rack and a dress laid out ontop of something. Also at the end when Rosie gives Bing a gift behind tree. Another thing I noticed is a clock that looks like a clock that was in Holiday Inn. The clock is on the wall in the cast party scene. Maybe stupid things to mention but it's the 60th anniversary of the movie so I felt the need to talk about these things.

Peace and Love! 

06/12/2014 11:29 pm  #2

Re: White Christmas

I got BING MAGAZINE today and Bing and Rosie are on the cover near piano with the dresses from Holiday Inn on the rack in back of them!

Peace and Love! 

07/12/2014 6:45 pm  #3

Interesting!

07/12/2014 6:49 pm  #4

It is the same building for both films. Guess they got the paint tins out for a re-paint job.

18/12/2014 5:09 am  #5

'White Christmas' now on AMC in Pacific Northwest - 7.45pm to 10.30pm.

21/12/2014 5:06 am  #6

Just now - 9.00pm Pacific time, White Christmas is showing again on AMC to be followed by Holiday Inn.

23/12/2014 1:45 am  #7

Monday 22nd. December the BBC web site - 10 best Christmas movies. Bing is in 2 of the 10 best, so 20 per cent, White Christmas and Going My Way.

23/12/2014 3:23 am  #8

I never really considered Going My Way a Christmas movie? It actually used to be on around Easter time.

I wish Holiday Inn would be on the list - it is far superior to White Christmas in my opinion.

24/12/2014 1:33 am  #9

Lobosco wrote:

I never really considered Going My Way a Christmas movie? It actually used to be on around Easter time.

I wish Holiday Inn would be on the list - it is far superior to White Christmas in my opinion.

I have always considered "Bells of St. Mary's" my favorite Crosby Christms movie, not out of any dislike of "White Christmas," though I realize that some people don't consider it a Christmas movie.  My defense, however, is that (1) "Bells" had one of the best children's Nativity plays ever shown on the silver screen, (2) just as much of the Chrismas season is in it as in "Holidy Inn", and (3) the entire movie is built around the theme of selfless giving.

24/12/2014 8:34 am  #10

Steve Fay wrote:

- - - , and (3) the entire movie is built around the theme of selfless giving.

Or as Bing sang in 1959 "it's the Christmas things you do all year through" (The Secret Of Christmas - Fain and Van Heusen).

24/12/2014 6:20 pm  #11

Richard,
Ever since I 'discovered' 'The Secret of Christmas' on a 'Harry Lillis' CD, I use those words on my Christmas message - it's not the things you do at Christmas time but the Christmas things you do all year through.
Think this is my favourite non religious Christmas songs.
Merry Christmas one and all - already the big day in NZ, Australia and other places.

24/12/2014 7:30 pm  #12

I agree with Steve that I consider "Bells Of St Mary's" a Christmas movie. I would still consider "Holiday Inn" my favorite Bing Christmas movie.

26/12/2014 12:50 pm  #13

Ron Field wrote:

Richard,
Ever since I 'discovered' 'The Secret of Christmas' on a 'Harry Lillis' CD, I use those words on my Christmas message - it's not the things you do at Christmas time but the Christmas things you do all year through.
Think this is my favourite non religious Christmas songs..

I'm sure it contains sentiments with which we can all agree but frequently forget.

"The Secret Of Christmas" was played on BBC Radio Cumbria last Sunday by Anne Hopper (a great Bing supporter) at the request of Malcolm Macfarlane. (Anne managed no less than six items of Bing's in her two hour show, mentioning long term Bing fans Bert Bishop and Trevor Wagstaff, among others, along the way.) 

My wife chairs a local women's organisation and used the words of "The Secret Of Christmas" in her Christmas address. 

26/12/2014 1:42 pm  #14

Shortly after posting that message mentioning Anne Hopper's show I received a private email asking whether it is available on the internet. Yes, it is and this is the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02dzlgs

It remains available for another three weeks. I believe that at one time access was restricted to users with a UK ISP but I think that international access is now possible.

27/12/2014 4:30 am  #15

'The Chronicle' Centralia, Washington State - Christmas Day edition.
Quote - When Bing Crosby waxed nostalgic in 1954 for a 'White Christmas' he probably never predicted that 60 years later some communities would be praying for one, but that's exactly what's happening in Packwood. ........

01/1/2015 4:12 am  #16

The Fox Theatre in Centralia is slowly going through restoration with monthly showings.
They have just advertised the programme for 2015 and 'White Christmas' is advertised for December 2015.

21/11/2016 4:50 am  #17

Just watching the 2016 Hallmark film - A December Bride.
Young couple just got engaged and the bloke is being told that his fiancé watches Bing Crosby every year in White Christmas.
Nice to hear it mentioned.
On another post I mentioned that Hallmark play - I'll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams.
Good Christmas Bing stuff.

Board footera