08/9/2014 6:39 am  #1

08/9/2014 1:35 pm  #2

Re: The Merry Christmas LP being reissued on Vinyl!

One for the LP fanatics! 

I have difficulty in understanding why this, of all Bing's vast output, should be the subject of a new "remastered" LP issue. In it's original guise it must have had the widest circulation of all (and of course it was replicated on CD).  I constantly come across copies of one or other versions of the original in charity shops and similar venues.

08/9/2014 10:57 pm  #3

Richard Baker wrote:

One for the LP fanatics! 

I have difficulty in understanding why this, of all Bing's vast output, should be the subject of a new "remastered" LP issue. In it's original guise it must have had the widest circulation of all (and of course it was replicated on CD).  I constantly come across copies of one or other versions of the original in charity shops and similar venues.

Hi Richard,

Actually, I am thrilled that it is being reissued on LP. As long as they do it in the original monaural and not the "SIMULATED FOR STEREO" fiasco. How many of those LP's we see in thrift shops are in decent enough condition to play and actually enjoy? The LP deserves a fine monaural remastering (although I fear it will be from a digital source) as it is a true Holiday classic!  I am thrilled to have a mid 50's reissue that is in NM shape, but count me in for a copy of this new LP. 

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

09/9/2014 9:39 am  #4

Hi Paul,

I too am devoted to my old big black platters. I have several different pressings of Merry Christmas - also issued as "White Christmas"! - ranging from a British Decca/Brunswick (two minor scratches)  to two versions of the  "electronically reprocessd for stereo" abominations (one of which just proclaimed "stereo"). 

It is certainly true that listening to well engineered LPs on good equipment produces a silky smooth sound that is in many senses better than standard CDs, which technically cannot achieve the frequency range (because of the so-called "brickwall"  above which the digital sound sampling cuts off). There is a feeling of immediacy and atmosphere that CDs seem to mask. The downside for LPs is of course the ease with which wear and damage can arise as well as considerations of space, weight and convenience. 

What I wonder about in this case is whether remastering of 1940s (and very early 1950s) material is capable of producing any audible improvement on what we have on CD. What is implied by the word "remastered" in this instance? You have touched on the possibility that the mastering might only be done by going back to existing digital sources and I suspect that is a strong liklihood.

That is hardly going to assure me that there is going to be a tremendous sonic treat. But surely material from the 1940s (and very early 1950s) is not up to this treatment anyway.  Even if sources further back than 1990s digital transfers are used, can anything more be prised out of them when what we have on CD is already pretty good and likely to more than meet the demands of most hearers?  I have heard examples of remastered classical and jazz items from 1950s and later on super - fidelity LPs which are fantastic and an aurally obvious improvement over CD. But songs originally recorded on 78 rpm lacquer discs in the 1940s?  

10/10/2014 3:56 pm  #5

The reviews for the "new" LP are filtering in and they are positive! Definite digital remaster but it is the pure original mono sound and it sports the original Decca label!

Last edited by paulmock (10/10/2014 3:56 pm)

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

27/11/2014 3:10 pm  #6

On this US Thanksgiving Day, we Crosby folk have lots to be thankful for this year. How about this one? The word around the turntable is that the 1st run of pressings of this reissued LP have run out and a 2nd pressing is being done post haste! Now, I have no idea how many were original produced, but it is wonderful to see that not only has the idea of reissuing this on audiophile "vinyl"...but it is a huge success!!!

Last edited by paulmock (27/11/2014 3:11 pm)

All the best,
Paul M. Mock

27/11/2014 6:52 pm  #7

paulmock wrote:

-  -   The word around the turntable is that the 1st run of pressings of this reissued LP have run out and a 2nd pressing is being done post haste! Now, I have no idea how many were original produced, but it is wonderful to see that not only has the idea of reissuing this on audiophile "vinyl"...but it is a huge success!!!

I'm delighted to hear it, even though I can't quite understand it.

I did not understand the reason for the issue in the first place -  there are, after all, a number of records made in the 60s and 70s, in stereo and  in high quality sound that would represent rather better potential for the "audiophile" treatment. If what you report is so, Paul, I was obviously wrong with my doubts - the demand proves that - but I still don't understand why there should be such a demand in the first place. Is the craving among "audiophiles" for top notch sound on black platters really met by mono material orginating in the 1940s?  Or is there some other consideration coming into play?

Can someone please explain to this poor ignoramus?

I do appreciate vinyl discs without being fanatical, and I do have equipment that, whilst not out of the very highest drawer, is normally well regarded. 

I have acqaintances, particularly followers of 1920s and 30s jazz, who go out of their way to play original 78s, and also those who acquire and play original LPs. I have a son in law who does precisely that. I also understand those who seek the purest of sounds. It is just that I am a little adrift of the ideas and concepts behind this (and I suppose any other similar) issue. 

Last edited by Richard Baker (27/11/2014 6:59 pm)

28/11/2014 6:26 am  #8

Vinyl record sales hit 18-year high
Richard, have a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30216638

I don't understand it either!

28/11/2014 3:45 pm  #9

Speaking of which I once attended a "Craft and Christmas Fayre", where there was a stand selling such things as LPs moulded into bowls for potted plants (complete with centre drainage hole!), old 7 inch singles made into coasters and various other household items with varying degrees of usefulness. But not only black vinyl. Also bits of CDs cut out and stuck to a background as "reflective artwork". Pure sacrilege!

Don't suppose that increased sales of new vinyl could be explained by demand from such a source though! 

Board footera