17/8/2014 5:20 pm  #1

New young member

I found out during our Roxy Revue (in Morton, Washington) that a young 15 year old girl likes Bing, Phil Harris and others from that era - as does the family. Sarah played 'Annie' a couple of years ago.
So, I've contacted Wig and have paid for a year's subs for BING magazine and hopefully the family will continue when dues fall next year.
I have started to send Sarah photos I've taken of Bing.
Grab while they're young and hopefully Sarah will keep the Bing flag flying for many years to come.

18/8/2014 4:33 pm  #2

Re: New young member

With the way that much music is going today, I would like to hear your opinion on the sampling of Bing's music. That is to say, taking parts of his songs and using them to generate entirely new songs.

The reason I ask is because many young people today are bombarded with an inordinate amount of music and, for some, it may be hard to be exposed to Bing. If Bing were samled and used in new music, it may help expose him more to the newer generation. Do you believe that it would be right to mix his music in with a new generation's style? 

19/8/2014 1:41 pm  #3

PassionImpact wrote:

- -  I would like to hear your opinion on the sampling of Bing's music. That is to say, taking parts of his songs and using them to generate entirely new songs.

- - - - -  If Bing were samled and used in new music, it may help expose him more to the newer generation. Do you believe that it would be right to mix his music in with a new generation's style? 

Well as the question has been asked, perhaps some might come forward with a reaction and I will not fear being amongst them.
Personally I see no reason for anyone to interfere with the artwork of the original creator. That goes for a composer, painter or as with Bing, a performer.
The original (composer/painter/performer) envisaged their work in a particular way - who are others to mess about with it?  I can (just about) accept that there might be some areas where techniques that were not around at the time of the original creation might be added to produce an overall improvement (as in the overlay of a stereo accompaniment) but it has to be very carefully done.

There I personally stick. I doubt that "sampling" to catch the present mood of the moment will bring forward any new Bing devotees, or certainly not in any number. That approach produces a totally different effect - it will not be Bing's creation, and those who like it will be very unlikely to find it is a gateway to appreciation of Bing's work in it's original form.

It's like taking an artistic masterpiece, shredding it, adding new daubs of paint, and reassembling it. 

01/11/2014 2:12 am  #4

At the Leeds meeting I bought a 3CD set of Bing to give to my new recruit. Hope Sarah and the family enjoy it as there is a good variety of songs.

02/11/2014 1:28 am  #5

I remember when there was a time when I was the youngest or one of the youngest members of Club Crosby. Not anymore - I'm 40 now! 

02/11/2014 7:23 pm  #6

Lobosco wrote:

I remember when there was a time when I was the youngest or one of the youngest members of Club Crosby. Not anymore - I'm 40 now! 

So, a mere toddler when Bing died.  Ah, to be 40 again. David, you're making me feel OLD.  

02/11/2014 7:44 pm  #7

Richard Baker wrote:

Lobosco wrote:

So, a mere toddler when Bing died.  Ah, to be 40 again. David, you're making me feel OLD.  

LOL. There are people I am working with that are 25 and to them I think I seem ancient! It is all relative!

06/11/2014 3:00 am  #8

I RememberedThinking I Must Be The Youngest Bing Fan In The WorldAnd Probably The
Biggest.,When I Was Fourteen. I Ate SlepT And Breathed Bing. I Still do.

Board footera