21/1/2011 9:05 am  #1

New albums coming Jan. 25!

See www.bingcrosby.com for more

BING CROSBY - With All My Heart

Just in time for Valentine's Day comes this digital collection of 15 rare, unreleased love songs from the original session master tapes for Bing Crosby's 1950s radio shows (The Bing Crosby Show for Chesterfield, The Bing Crosby Show for General Electric, The Bing Crosby Show, The Ford Road Show and The Crosby - Clooney Show). There's also a track recorded for an early Crosby television special. Includes Magic Moments, Secret Love, I Let A Song Go Out of My Heart, Chances Are, Catch a Falling Star, Night and Day, Hello Young Lovers, With All My Heart, Born To Be With You, Some Enchanted Evening, How High the Moon, Misty, I Love Paris, And the Angels Sing, and P.S. I Love You. This unique digital package, available exclusively through iTunes, also includes a bonus 1954 video performance of I Love Paris.

BING CROSBY - Shall We Dance?

This digital release collects 15 songs of dance and romance - 14 of them previously unreleased - taken from the original session master tapes for Bing's 1950s radio shows (The Bing Crosby Show for General Electric and The Ford Road Show), a rare track from the 1968 album, The Songs I Love and a track from a 1962 television special. Includes Begin the Beguine, Puttin' On the Ritz, Don't Let the Stars Get in Your Eyes, I Can't Give You Anything But Love, It's Not For Me to Say, Dark Moon, Changing Partners, Do Nothing Till You Hear from Me, Zing Went the Strings of My Heart, Way Down Yonder in New Orleans, Keep it Gay, The Gypsy in My Soul, Granada, Lady of Spain and (the strange but incredibly swingin') Doin' the Bing. The exclusive iTunes digital album also features a 1962 bonus video performance of Doin' the Bing.

21/1/2011 5:45 pm  #2

Re: New albums coming Jan. 25!

I am very happy for more Bing, so I am certainly excited by these two new releases.  I will likely be buying these the day they are released on iTunes, but I do wish there was a CD option, tough.  I wonder if digital will be the only way that the material released by HLC will be delivered in the future?

Zane Johnson

22/1/2011 11:41 am  #3

zanereed wrote:

I do wish there was a CD option, tough.  I wonder if digital will be the only way that the material released by HLC will be delivered in the future?

I suspect that this is the way the overall market is going and it would be perfectly logical for BCE/HLC to do the same.  I would suppose that the distribution overhead must be very low and possibly for products with fairly low sales numbers it would make a great deal of sense, and might just enable more material to be made available, which is a possibility to be welcomed. 

But I don't like it. For all the convenience of storing tracks on computer/ MP3 player, there is something about the ability to physically handle the CD - the pure joy of collecting and possessing tangible objects, that I miss and which is not replaced by the intangibility of digital / electric impulses stored on a computer or tiny player. I'm sorry if that makes me sound materialistic.

I think that even CDs are not as satisfying as the handling of a LPs but maybe I'm just an old dinosaur. 

More practically, I have two other reasons for disliking the trend:

1) I have yet to buy a non-classical music download that gives adequate information. Much of the time you seem to get only a front cover graphic and perhaps a straight track listing. I have had a few with a little more, but there are some classical music companies that offer a full pdf file replicating a CD booklet. The few downloads I have had from iTunes have been disappointing, though admittedly I have been going elsewhere of late.

2) The most commonly used digital formats usually employ levels of compression which are detectable when played over the very best quality equipment. Things have been improving but I think that the digital downloads in general have not yet reached the audio standards achieved with the CD. There are digital formats now available which far exceed the CD's capacities but most downloads avoid them.

22/1/2011 4:46 pm  #4

Richard Baker wrote:

2) The most commonly used digital formats usually employ levels of compression which are detectable when played over the very best quality equipment. Things have been improving but I think that the digital downloads in general have not yet reached the audio standards achieved with the CD. There are digital formats now available which far exceed the CD's capacities but most downloads avoid them.

Richard,

I agree with you 100% on this one.  Seeing how well mastered (IMHO) the recent Collectors Choice CD issues have been, this is one area where I'm still hesitant to purchase, but I don't think I will have any other options.  I don't want to seem like I'm complaining here, because I *am* glad that this material is being made available.

Zane Johnson

24/1/2011 8:42 pm  #5

While I highly doubt BCE/HLC will only be issuing new releases in a digital format, I think we can expect several other future digital releases. True, the music market is trending more toward digital albums rather than CDs these days, but there is still a sizable market of CD consumers. I have to agree with Jarbie that it is probably much more cost effective for companies to release music digitally than to go through the production and labor costs of issuing a CD.

I too prefer buying CDs, if only to have a tangible copy of the music that I purchased. It's also nice to have liner notes to read and in the case that something happens to my computer or iPod, CDs serve as a nice back up. I have purchased some music digitally and it just doesn't quire compare to buying a CD. However, I listen to most of my music on my iPod (and am actually doing so as I type this). It's nice to have my music library all in one place where if I want to listen to songs from various albums all it takes are a few simple clicks on my iPod's click wheel.

Though, we have to remember that Bing was on the forefront of many new technologies during his lifetime and I would imagine he would, if not heartily embrace, at least have no objections to digital media.

25/1/2011 5:14 pm  #6

Has anyone found them yet? the Crosby-Clooney Radio sessions set (already issued by Collector's Choice) is there on iTunes but no sign of the two exclusive downloads. Or am I impatient?

25/1/2011 8:38 pm  #7

I see them all up there now, if you sort the albums by release date they should show up much more easily.

26/1/2011 5:15 pm  #8

Both downloaded and played. Wonderful!

26/1/2011 6:21 pm  #9

The Bing Crosby Facebook page has full details of the tracks, recording dates etc. Click on the Photos tab then the image for the respective albums. Details below the enlarged image.

27/1/2011 12:51 am  #10

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

Both downloaded and played. Wonderful!

Somewhat slower off the mark owing to other activity, but now done the same.
Enjoyable and recommended. The sampling rate is pretty (256KB) high so the negative side of digital downloads (the compression) is not a real issue.

I still hanker for the physical handling of the CD but I suppose we must resign ourselves to this approach for the future and if it means we see some more material, all the better. In the longer term it is possibly the only way that historical music and video may be made permanently available.

It is very welcome that full - and I mean full - details of the tracks have been posted on the Facebook site but it is not really in the same league as the superb presentation of the recent CDs.

27/1/2011 1:46 pm  #11

A few comments on the digital albums.

With All My Heart

'Secret Love' is a different version to the one broadcast on many occasions on GE
'With All My Heart' is a longer version than some of the versions heard on the Ford Road Show
'Born to Be With You' has Bing whistling (badly) in the middle. This seems to have been omitted from the broadcast version.

Shall We Dance

'Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart' is different to the one broadcast.
'Keep It Gay' is different to the one broadcast.

27/1/2011 4:01 pm  #12

I noted that details of the tracks had been posted on the Bing Crosby Facebook page.

I have now been sent pdf files giving those details and the front cover graphic and with thanks to those at the Bing Crosby office I take the liberty of posting them here.

To some extent this is an experiment - the first time I've done it and I hope it works.

Just click on the link and then download - I hope

With All My Heart
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3vneCRh1nRHNmVhMzBkZDgtOGE5YS00MGNjLTgyMTYtMDkwZDJiMGI1ZGVi&hl=en&authkey=CMTaptoN

Shall We Dance
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3vneCRh1nRHOGY0NjE1N2MtYWFjYy00NDk1LWJlOWQtMGNlNjcwMTg2YTUz&hl=en&authkey=CJqB-IYE

27/1/2011 7:05 pm  #13

Richard Baker wrote:

I noted that details of the tracks had been posted on the Bing Crosby Facebook page.

I have now been sent pdf files giving those details and the front cover graphic and with thanks to those at the Bing Crosby office I take the liberty of posting them here.

To some extent this is an experiment - the first time I've done it and I hope it works.

Just click on the link and then download - I hope

With All My Heart
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3vneCRh1nRHNmVhMzBkZDgtOGE5YS00MGNjLTgyMTYtMDkwZDJiMGI1ZGVi&hl=en&authkey=CMTaptoN

Shall We Dance
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3vneCRh1nRHOGY0NjE1N2MtYWFjYy00NDk1LWJlOWQtMGNlNjcwMTg2YTUz&hl=en&authkey=CJqB-IYE

Richard,

This worked just fine for me - thank you so much for posting each one!

Zane Johnson

Board footera