19/11/2013 5:37 pm  #1

A.F.R.S Basic Music Library plus Philco Time Radio Time

Bing Crosby A.F.R.S Basic Music Library ( Sounds Of Yesteryear)

Details have been vague on the internet about this release, so below is a tracklist for the CD. No duplications with Sepias similar recent release ("People Will Say We Are In love" is with Trudy Erwin as oppose Garland).
Sound is very good, notes limited, however makes Volume 2 all the more to look forward to next year. Highly recommended.

Program 109 (1943-44)
Going My way
September Song
Dearly Beloved
It Could Happen To You
Program 195 (November 1944)
Always
Too Ra Loo Ra Loo Ra
Medley: One Two Button Your Shoes/So Do I/ Skeleton In The Closet/ Pennies From Heaven
Program 371 (April –June 1945)
Medley: The Funny Old Hills/You’re a Sweet Little heartache/ I Have Eyes To See You With
Medley: Apple For My Teacher/ Still The Bluebird Sings/ A Man and His Dreams
Put You Arms Around Me Honey
Along The Navajo trail
San Fernando Valley
Good, Good, Good
Program 430 (July-September 1943)
People Will Say We Are  In Love
Nevada
Please
Wait For Me Mary

Philco Radio Time Oct 15th 1947
Where the Blue Of The Night
Kokomo
Indiana
Almost Like Being In Love
I Wish I Didn’t love You So
You’re Flop Parade

20/11/2013 10:21 am  #2

Re: A.F.R.S Basic Music Library plus Philco Time Radio Time

Very many thanks for this information, Kevin. My copy has not reached me yet, but it's interesting to see what is coming - and you've saved me some typing! 

I see you say the notes are limited. A great pity. Many purchasers of this type of product are enthusiasts hungry for background information.

20/11/2013 2:25 pm  #3

Mine is on backorder!

Peace and Love! 

20/11/2013 2:27 pm  #4

Dinah Shore is on the Philco Show mentioned.

Peace and Love! 

20/11/2013 2:46 pm  #5

When I say notes are limited....we do get spoilt by Sepia....they have kind of set a standard that you start to expect as the norm.

The notes that are there do explain a lot about the background of the A.F.R.S, which is quite informative, and especially helpful given that unlike the recent Sepia release, these were pre-recorded songs that were specifically recorded for distribution to A.F.R.S in its various formats, as oppose to the live radio shows represented on the Sepia CD.  The Bing specifics in the notes are a bit brief.

Listened to the CD twice now, and very enjoyable, especially the medley's. The Philco show is a lot of fun as an extra.

I must say as a release this has been a  very pleasant suprise.

As for typing out the tracklist Richard!! CD not recognized in ITunes, so as well as trying to be helpful,  I had to type them out anyway. Two birds one stone............

Last edited by Kevin (20/11/2013 9:14 pm)

25/11/2013 2:26 pm  #6

I have now had my copy for a couple of days and I agree with what Kevin has said. The notes are more than adequate  without quite meeting the standards of Sepia.

A feature of some radio recordings of the early/mid 1940s is that the frequency range covering the upper violins could get a little "steely". When this range gets "lifted" in order to brighten the recording, the result can be aggressive. I suspect that this has happened on some of the tracks on this CD - in order to brighten the sound overral some upper frequencies have been lifted a mite too much with the violins sounding very aggressive - almost unmusical - in places. But in totality it is a welcome issue to add to the recent Sepia (which, to my mind, has benefitted from better audio restoration).   

Some later thoughts
1 - The CD seems to have been some time in preparation as the notes are dated 2010!
2 - The Philco track (#18) - one long one of 23 minutes, is an edited version of the full show, dropping upwards of six minutes in the process. Personally I would have preferred division into tracks, and either the complete show or the space allocated to more AFRS material. (Incidentally I see that "Your Flop Parade" or "Your All-Time Flop Parade" is incorrectly shown as "You're Flop Parade" in two places. There are a couple of other errors that the proof reader failed to notice). 
3 - I think it is a good plus point that several songs have been taken from each of a limited selection of AFRS shows, giving a nice cohesive feeling of a package. In the case of #371 we have a full 21 minutes from the show, and even for the shortest selection there is 9 minutes from four songs  of AFRS#430.

Last edited by Richard Baker (25/11/2013 3:34 pm)

05/12/2013 3:10 pm  #7

So everyone agrees that the sound quality on this release is worth it?  I wonder what the sources tapes/discs were for this CD?  Does anyone know?

Zane Johnson

05/12/2013 7:28 pm  #8

zanereed wrote:

So everyone agrees that the sound quality on this release is worth it?  I wonder what the sources tapes/discs were for this CD?  Does anyone know?

Zane,  in my estimation the sound is clear and good given the material. 

I do think that the upper strings are a little metallic in a few places but I think that is acceptable. I have alternative copies in a few cases and in comparison there is some lift in the upper range but I'm uncertain how the CD might compare with original radio discs because I do not have access to original AFRS examples. I would prefer that it would have been tamed but many listeners could use tone controls to do that if they do not like it.

I do know from other recordings that I have of the era that the slightly metallic sound on violins does arise sometimes but it would certainly not put me off. 

There is no indication to show what sources were used but I doubt it was too far removed from the original. 

Other opinions?

05/12/2013 7:43 pm  #9

I would say that when they made these discs in the middle of a world war for the purpose of entertaining troops, that they were probably not expecting people to be wanting to listen to them still  in 2013, so the fact that they have been preserved and now available at a very low price (certainly in the UK) with good sound quality makes this a worthwhile purchase.

Add that the song selection is interesing, Bing is in good (excellent) form and the package is very entertaining makes it a no-brainer.

Given that for many years Bing was largley represented through cheap poor compilation sets featuring the same tracks, anyone bringing us something "new" should be applauded and supported, whether it's BCE, Sepia, Sounds Of Yesteryear or others, and the only way to do so is to buy it.

Last edited by Kevin (06/12/2013 10:52 am)

12/12/2013 4:13 pm  #10

Sounds like A Good Cd To Add To My Collection.Bing WasAlways Good At EntertainingTheTroops He And Bob Hope Were Priceless. Love The Old Radio Shows And Duets. Sepia Seems To Be Doing Alot For Preserving Bing Material. AnyMore In This Series Coming, I Wonder.

Windy

17/12/2013 2:31 pm  #11

I have received a listing from John Bennett of Submarine records of the content of "AFRS Basic Music Library Vol. 2"

I do not as yet have the dates of the broadcast shows from which they are drawn, though most are susceptible to intelligent guesses.

Tracks are: 

Paper Moon (It’s Only A) - voc: Bing Crosby, Eddy Duchin (piano); 
Thanks - voc: Bing Crosby, Eddy Duchin (piano); 
Moonlight Bay - vocs: Bing Crosby and The Charioteers; 
Mexicali Rose - voc: Bing Crosby; 
Swinging On A Star - Bing Crosby, The Charioteers and The Music Maids; 
In The Land Of Beginning Again - vocs: Bing Crosby and The Charioteers;
Symphony - voc: Bing Crosby; 
Aren’t You Glad Your You - vocs: Bing Crosby and The Charioteers; 
Personality - voc: Bing Crosby; 
One More Dream - vocs: The Charioteers; 
I’m Always Chasing Rainbows - vocs: Bing Crosby and Chorus; 
No Soup - vocs: The Charioteers; 
Day By Day - Bing Crosby and Chorus; 
All Through The Day - vocs: Bing Crosby and Chorus; 
Sioux City Sue - Bing Crosby and Chorus; 
You Are Too Beautiful - voc: Bing Crosby, Eddy Duchin (piano); 
There’s A Small Hotel - voc Bing Crosby, Eddy Duchin (piano); 
Welcome To My Dream - vocs: Bing Crosby and Chorus; 
It’s Been A Long, Long Time - voc: Big Crosby, Les Paul (guitar); 
I Don’t Know Enough About You - voc: Peggy Lee, Les Paul (guitar); 
Medley: Rosie/ Sunbonnet Sue/ A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody - vocs: Bing Crosby and Al Jolson; 
The Best Things In Life Are Free - vocs: Bing Crosby and Al Jolson

21/12/2013 10:16 am  #12

To update Richards information with programs/dates.....

Program 452 (Feb-April 1944)
Paper Moon (It’s Only A) - voc: Bing Crosby, Eddy Duchin (piano);
Thanks - voc: Bing Crosby, Eddy Duchin (piano);
Moonlight Bay - vocs: Bing Crosby and The Charioteers;
Mexicali Rose - voc: Bing Crosby;
Swinging On A Star - Bing Crosby, The Charioteers and The Music Maids;

Program 550 (Feb 1946)
In The Land Of Beginning Again - vocs: Bing Crosby and The Charioteers;
Symphony - voc: Bing Crosby;
Aren’t You Glad Your You - vocs: Bing Crosby and The Charioteers;

Program 552 (Feb-March 1946)
Personality - voc: Bing Crosby;
One More Dream - vocs: The Charioteers;
I’m Always Chasing Rainbows - vocs: Bing Crosby and Chorus;
No Soup - vocs: The Charioteers;

Program 600 (April 1946)
Day By Day - Bing Crosby and Chorus;
All Through The Day - vocs: Bing Crosby and Chorus;
Sioux City Sue - Bing Crosby and Chorus;
You Are Too Beautiful - voc: Bing Crosby, Eddy Duchin (piano);

Program 607 (Feb-March 1946)
There’s A Small Hotel - voc Bing Crosby, Eddy Duchin (piano);
Welcome To My Dream - vocs: Bing Crosby and Chorus;
It’s Been A Long, Long Time - voc: Big Crosby, Les Paul (guitar);
I Don’t Know Enough About You - voc: Peggy Lee, Les Paul (guitar);

December 3rd 1947
Medley: Rosie/ Sunbonnet Sue/ A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody - vocs: Bing Crosby and Al Jolson;
The Best Things In Life Are Free - vocs: Bing Crosby and Al Jolson

I am listening to this for the first time as I type, so may comment later.

21/12/2013 11:20 am  #13

Thank you, Kevin. Your postal deliveries are better than mine. I was told three or four days ago that my order was on it's way but it must be under a stack of Christmas post at a sorting office somewhere!  

An interesting selection, this time mostly from after WWII. I suppose the fact that the AFRS shows coninued for so long is a reflection of the fact that there were so many servicemen still abroad for years after the cessation of hostilities.  

02/1/2014 3:35 pm  #14

I have both the Sepia AFRS and Vol. 1 on their way to me, and I certainly look forward to hearing Vol 1.  Richard and/or Kevin - will Sepia release any more of their own, or is this the only CD they are doing concerning AFRS?

Zane Johnson

02/1/2014 6:52 pm  #15

Don't think Sepia will do any more AFRS CDs featuring Bing. Sales of the "Bing in the Hall" CD weren't very good. Don't have any info about the AFRS CD yet but I'm not hopeful.

02/1/2014 7:40 pm  #16

Thanks for the update, Malcolm.  Because of the apparent low sales for both the "Hall" and "AFRS" CDs, will Sepia stop releasing any further Bing material?

Zane Johnson

02/1/2014 10:25 pm  #17

Too soon to know, Zane.

03/1/2014 2:07 am  #18

Sad news about the Sepia issues. All of their CDs, especially the Bing ones have been top notch. I will be sad if they do not issue any other Bing CDs, but I am thankful for the ones they did.

03/1/2014 10:23 am  #19

I'm afraid that we have to face up to the harsh realities.

Those who produce CDs will only do so if sales reach adequate volumes to make it worth their while.

Meantime the fan base is a diminishing band and finding it increasingly difficult as a group to sustain adequate purchasing volumes.

I know this is a statement of the obvious but we need to remind ourselves of it from time to time. 

There are a very few producers who have a particular liking for some genres or performers and who in consequence produce issues that might in other hands be regarded as more marginal propositions, but we can't expect very many of them or for such actions to be too prolonged. 

We buy in adequate volumes or we will not receive.  If we buy what is already out there, from the right sources, we might just encourage more from those sources. 

08/1/2014 4:15 am  #20

Kevin's note on 16 December to the effect that nobody would have expected in the 1940s that people would wish to listen to the recordings seventy years on is pertinent. When I first began to listen seriously to Bing's early 1930s recordings I often thought that, surely, pop songs were expected to be ephemeral and I guessed that those involved in making those recordings would have been incredulous if anyone had suggested that there'd be folk like us who'd wish to hear the results of their labours almost a century later. Yes, isn't it great that such artists as Bing were recorded for posterity.

Board footera