12/12/2010 7:55 pm  #1

Bing's 30s voice.

Bing's 30s voice has a particular appeal for me, probably because that was what I used to hear so frequently on the  gramophone when I was a child. I'm very fond of the films he made in the 30s too, no matter how uneven their story lines might be in some cases. The great voice was always there. That's why I was most interested to read in the latest edition of BING that Universal have brought out a collection of them on DVD. I can't wait for their issue on Region 2 format for use over here. If anyone hears when this might be, I hope they will keep us all posted.
All the best,
Mel.

30/12/2010 6:06 am  #2

Re: Bing's 30s voice.

I have affection for that time period also.  Here's hoping they soon bring out a Region 2 version.  I have it down to order.  Can anyone report on the film and sound quality?  Collector's Choice says there are 6 DVDs, while Amazon does not specify.
The Bing Crosby Collection:
College Humor  -- 1933
We're Not Dressing -- 1934
Here Is My Heart -- 1934
Mississippi -- 1935
Sing You Sinners -- 1938
Welcome Stranger -- 1947

30/12/2010 7:23 pm  #3

So far I've only watched the first 3 listed and the quality isn't too bad at all, considering when they were made.
Being a 34 model myself, we age a bit as we get on.
But, it was good to see 1 and 3 again after a very long time span. No. 2 I have seen often and even have it on VHS back in Australia. I think the things with these older films of Bing's are the great songs in them. His voice was strong and the songs have meaning.
Happy New Year.

07/1/2011 3:25 am  #4

I've only seen one of the films Nathandale has kindly listed: MISSISSIPPI. Picture and sound quality on the DVD are very good, but the film contains a little too much of W.C.Fields' humour for me. Bing's superb singing more than makes up for that, however. There are 4 memorable songs including SWANEE RIVER, which Bing renders with incomparable skill and all the expressive power of that great 30s voice. There's also the delightful presence of a very young Joan Bennett to brighten up the rather co nvoluted plot!!

07/1/2011 6:46 pm  #5

I hadn't seen 'College Humour' for about 60 years. The song ' Down The Old Ox Road' surprised me in the film as Bing didn't sing it. Whole groups of different people each sang a line. Bing did record the song however.
'Mississippi' is the next to watch and I really like this one. Bing insisted on singing 'Swanee River' in the film. There was a dispute with the blokes that wrote the score - 4 very good songs - but Bing record a Rodgers & Hart for many, many years.
In 'We're Not Dressing', delightful film with another good batch of songs, Bing only sang a couple of lines of 'Stormy Weather' and I don't know why he didn't record that song at the time. He was in fine voice.

08/1/2011 9:01 am  #6

Watched "Here Is My Heart" yesterday and was amazed by the quality. Great songs and even a reasonable story. I had only ever seen very poor quality versions of this before. Also "Sing You Sinners" is pristine too. Wonderful to see these old films. By the way, Bing does sing the final chorus of "Down the Old Ox Rd" in "College Humour".

08/1/2011 8:03 pm  #7

Great news, Malcolm. That makes 5 good reports on the 6 films.  Has anyone seen WELCOME STRANGER? I hope the Region 2 version of the collection  won't be delayed long.

08/1/2011 8:05 pm  #8

I was just surprised that Bing didn't sing the whole song and not just a couple of lines. The record is very good - good voice etc as he was known for in that era.

14/1/2011 1:08 pm  #9

It's great that so much of Bing's earlier work is finally available without our having to put up too much with technical limitations.  He certainly had a fine unique voice.  My personal preference is for his late thirties work when he started to sound less strident.

Devotee of 'the art that conceals art' which of course Bing epitomised.

Board footera