03/5/2013 3:30 pm  #1

"Bing Crosby In The Hall" (Sepia) Soundclips

30 Second sound clips now available on http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bing-Crosby-Hall-Recordings-1937-1946/dp/B00CLE9E1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367743482&sr=8-1&keywords=bing+crosby+in+the+hal..or 1min 30 clips on Itunes.....just to build the anticipation....

Also, only £5.95 if pre-ordered on Amazon at the moment.

05/5/2013 8:53 am  #2

Re: "Bing Crosby In The Hall" (Sepia) Soundclips

Yes, a great collection, from ''Josephine'' to ''G'bye Now'', a wonderful tour through some of the songs from the Kraft Music Hall, carefully avoiding commercially issued titles.

I've been enjoying the CD for a couple of weeks now and it is certainly wholeheartedly recommended. 

ICC members know where to go, else take a look at Amazon, or Sepia's own website.http://www.sepiarecords.com/index.html

Incidentally, their lists are well worth exploring. 

09/5/2013 6:09 pm  #3

Received my CD the other day and downloaded it onto the computer.
However, something very strange happened and just why I do not know.
In the listing track 18 - Everything Happens To Me, is shown as: 18 Everything Happenms To Me.
How that 'ms' is tagged on I just do not know.
I mentioned it to someone and they thought I was whinging, which I wasn't or not, but just a strange happening.

09/5/2013 11:30 pm  #4

Ron Field wrote:

- - -In the listing track 18 - Everything Happens To Me, is shown as: 18 Everything Happenms To Me.
How that 'ms' is tagged on I just do not know.

Ron, whoever typed the information into the online database managed to mis-type. I suspect you were using iTunes as I get a similar result with them). The CD is not yet known to some of the other online databases.

10/5/2013 6:30 pm  #5

Yes, Richard, it was with iTunes.

18/7/2013 1:42 am  #6

I obtained a copy of this CD from the ICC's Aussie representative David Currington and I'm delighted with it: the song selections, the quality of the reproduction and the notes by Malcolm Macfarlane and the photos.

19/7/2013 12:08 am  #7

Graham,

Bing in the Hall really is a wonderful CD, and I have listened to it a whole lot since I got it from the ICC's Wig Wiggins. I wrote a little review about it for my blog, The Vintage Bandstand, and also wrote a more extensive one for the Amazon U.S. website. You may read it here if you're interested (you need to scroll down a little bit):

http://www.amazon.com/Hall-Bing-Crosby/dp/B00BQSRAYE/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1374192438&sr=1-1&keywords=bing+in+the+hall

Hopefully Sepia will see it fit to turn this into a full-blown series! 

19/7/2013 1:44 pm  #8

A very nice write-up, Anton, combining review with informative background.

Sepia Records have been good friends to our interests and they deserve our continuing support. They have other records in their lists that should appeal to some of us. Has anyone noticed for example their issue of The Andrews Sisters here http://www.sepiarecords.com/sepia1219.html

This was a latish remake of their hits in stereo. Somewhat different accompaniments but very good stereo sound. Bing of course did not go back into th studio with them to redo any of their joint hits!

23/7/2013 7:59 am  #9

Anton, congatulations on athoughtful and very readable review.

26/7/2013 4:48 pm  #10

Thanks, Richard and Graham, I am very glad that you all enjoyed reading my review about Bing in the Hall. It really is a fantastic CD, and I am eagerly awaiting further albums like this one. Will Sepia ever decide to release more? I certainly hope so! 

Last edited by Anton G.-F. (26/7/2013 4:49 pm)

27/7/2013 7:09 am  #11

Sepia are not too keen on a volume 2 at the moment but they have not closed the door yet. The takeup of Bing in the Hall from ICC members was a little lower than usual and so far there are few sales outside the ICC of this one. Let's hope the Armed Forces CD sells better.

27/7/2013 2:40 pm  #12

Malcolm,

It is too bad to hear that Bing in the Hall is not selling as well as expected, and I suppose that is because the material may be more specifically aimed at dedicated Crosby fans than the Through the Years series, I don't know. What do you think the causes of the low sales are?

Also, I apologize for being a little out of it (mostly because of lack of sleep due to the arrival of our first baby daughter about a month ago) but I don't remember what that Armed Forces CD is. What will it include and when will it be released?

27/7/2013 5:21 pm  #13

The imminent BING magazine will have an insert with the following information.

Bing sings for the Armed Forces Radio Service

Sepia Records are issuing this CD which captures Bing on his Armed Forces Radio Service broadcasts singing a variety of songs for the servicesmen. Bing clearly enjoyed these broadcasts. The CD should be available in October and the tracks on the CD will be:

TRACK 1 – Command Performance introduction.
TRACK 2 – Johnny Doughboy Found a Rose in Ireland (Command Performance #17 – June 11, 1942)
TRACK 3 – It’s a Long Way to Tipperary (Command Performance #54 – February 24, 1943)
TRACK 4 – Candlelight and Wine (Command Performance #104 – February 1, 1944)
TRACK 5 – De Camptown Races (Command Performance #52 – February 13, 1943)  (with Richard Crooks)
TRACK 6 – It Can’t Be Wrong (Command Performance #71 – June 19, 1943)
TRACK 7 – Comin’ in on a Wing and a Prayer (Command Performance VE Day Show – May 1945)
TRACK 8 – It Ain't Necessarily So (Command Performance #54 – February 24, 1943) (with Dinah Shore)
TRACK 9 – Great Day (Command Performance #60, April 1, 1943
TRACK 10 – Dialogue with Jack Benny and Gary Cooper (Command Performance #125 – June 17, 1944).
TRACK 11 – My Blue Heaven (Command Performance #125 – June 17, 1944).
TRACK 12 – Cuddle Up a Little Closer (G. I. Journal #11 – September 24, 1943)
TRACK 13 – One Alone (Command Performance #125 – June 17, 1944)
TRACK 14 – Shoo-Shoo Baby (Jubilee – January 10, 1944)
TRACK 15 – People Will Say We're in Love (Command Performance #81 – August 28, 1943) (with Judy Garland)
TRACK 16 – Put Your Arms around Me, Honey (G. I. Journal #10 – September 17, 1943
TRACK 17 – My Wild Irish Rose (G. I. Journal #10 – September 17, 1943)
TRACK 18 – My Ideal (Mail Call #78 – February 16, 1944)
TRACK 19 – Something to Remember You By (Command Performance #122 – June 3, 1944) (with Judy Garland)
TRACK 20 – The Groaner, the Canary and the Nose (Mail Call #91 – May 17, 1944) (with Judy Garland and Jimmy Durante) 
TRACK 21 – Timber / In the Evening by the Moonlight / You Are My Sunshine (Mail Call #78 – February 16, 1944) (with Richard Crooks)
TRACK 22 – This Heart of Mine (Command Performance #169 – April 5, 1945)
TRACK 23 – My Old Kentucky Home (Command Performance #36 – October 13, 1942) (with Dinah Shore)
TRACK 24 – Gotta Be This or That (Jubilee, December 1945)
TRACK 25 – Ridin’ Herd on a Cloud (G. I. Journal #9 – September 10, 1943)
TRACK 26 – Blue Hawaii (Mail Call #102 – July 26, 1944) (with Connie Haines)
TRACK 27 – Sweet Leilani (Mail Call #102 – July 26, 1944)
TRACK 28 – In My Merry Oldsmobile (G. I. Journal #52 – July 14, 1944)
TRACK 29 – Medley with Judy Garland (Command Performance #129 – July 15, 1944)

Last edited by Malcolm Macfarlane (27/7/2013 5:40 pm)

28/7/2013 11:00 am  #14

I wish the Kraft Music Hall CD was doing better. It is one of the best Bing CDs that have come out recently. I look foward to this Armed Forces CD as well.

28/7/2013 12:05 pm  #15

Malcolm Macfarlane wrote:

The takeup of Bing in the Hall from ICC members was a little lower than usual and so far there are few sales outside the ICC of this one. Let's hope the Armed Forces CD sells better.

Bad news. Perhaps we all need to look for reasons to buy extra copies - extra Christms gifts for friends, perhaps? 

The most entertaining issue covering earlier radio material for a very long time.

The forthcoming Forces issue is extremely promising too.  

31/7/2013 8:49 am  #16

I couldn't agree more about the quality of this latest release, and it's a great pity that at the moment Sepia aren't too keen on a follow-up.

As well as this release and the ICC 75th Anniversary release of early KMH material, I've got 9 privately-produced CDs from various sources of KMH songs, and although the sound quality varies considerably, even a random dip into any one of them shows that there is still a lot of material available in more-than-acceptable sound.

Let's hope that sales pick up and Sepia feel that Vol. 2 might be a possibility...

09/9/2013 12:57 am  #17

Armed Forces Cd looks excellent but I wish they would have included Bing's bit with Cagney-Command Performance 9/11/44.

Peace and Love! 

09/9/2013 9:23 am  #18

48blonde wrote:

- -- - but I wish they would have included Bing's bit with Cagney-Command Performance 9/11/44.

Bing sang so many things, whether for radio or record, that there is no conceivable way of including all the tracks that fans might include in their own personal "best" selections. I'm sure I could produce quite a list! Even limiting to the Forces items leaves a large group from which to select. And some of them were amngst the best.

Let us spare a thought for the problems faced by those making the selection!

09/9/2013 12:35 pm  #19

Richard, I know it's a big task putting a CD like that together. I appreciate what they have done. I ordered the CD because I know I will LOVE it. Please don't misunderstand me. I mentioned that show so maybe it would be included on a future cd. But no complaints here, only praise.

Peace and Love! 

09/9/2013 2:25 pm  #20

48blonde wrote:

- -  Please don't misunderstand me. I mentioned that show so maybe it would be included on a future cd. But no complaints here, only praise.

Carmela, I didn't think there were any. It's always interesting to know of other people's likes (and dislikes). I just have sympathy for those making the selections, having to take 25 or 30 tracks from hundreds and trying to decide which will attract the most. 

09/9/2013 6:33 pm  #21

Richard, I like your avatar. You resemble Buddy Ebson.

Peace and Love! 

Board footera