16/4/2013 9:28 pm  #1

Jonathan Winters

In Wednesday's Sydney Morning Herald there is an obit from the London Daily Telegraph about Jonathan's passing
Bing gets a mention. Jonathan had a stick and turned it into a number of various items including Bing Crosby's golf club.

30/4/2013 3:38 pm  #2

Re: Jonathan Winters

There really was no comic of my childhood who was as gifted as an improvisor as was Winters. Some of the characters he created who seemed to have rural origins might remind one of some mentioned in Charlie Weaver's letters from Mount Idy, but Winters actually became the characters before our eyes. Bob Newhart, similarly could spin narratives including humorous characters, but those Winters gave life to were somehow true-to-life and on the verge of becoming unhinged at the same time.

While he but a member of an interesting ensemble cast, Winters is in one of my favorite movies of mid-1960s, "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming," in which he plays sheriff Brian Keith's deputy on a tiny New England island upon which a Russian submarine captain, Theodore Bikel, has run his boat aground wanting to "see America."  Winters is good in his role, which certainly has its very comic moments, in a movie during which several things are happening, or rumored to be happening, in different places on the island at the same time. It is Alan Arkin's film debut and also features Carl Reiner and even silent film star Ben Blue.

When I think of Jonathan Winters's record albums, for some reason I first recall a bit he does in the voice of a turtle trying to cross a highway "to see my girlfriend," avoiding being hit by cars, but finally being picked up by a little kid who takes him away to be a pet.  Winters could become anyone.

Last edited by Steve Fay (30/4/2013 3:41 pm)

Board footera