22/3/2013 6:37 pm  #1

Non Bing photo

On Saturday 9th. March I took a photo of a log resting by Coldwater Lake, near Mt. St. Helens, in Washington State.
The log olooks like a lion, so I sent it off to The Chronicle newspaper in Centralia.
They wrote back and asked could I take the date, time out and I was able to do that.
The bloke wrote back and said that the picture was fine without the date etc.
He signed off - Your friend Bing Crosby.

They must a file on me being a Bing fan. Last year they did publish the photo of Bing and myself
taken at Turnberry in 1975.
I was quite surprised with that sign-off.
The picture, I think, may be published on Saturday:
www.chrononline.com

31/3/2013 7:25 pm  #2

Re: Non Bing photo

This area will have to do.

Just finished reading a book called 'The Yellow Packard', which is about a 1936 model.
The time frame is 1936 (car model production) to 1942.
One piece mentions that a bloke went off humming "When The Blue of the Night". Then later on
Bing Crosby was heard on the wireless.
There is yet another mention of Bing singing, I think, as I just can't put my eyes on the passage, 'Whispers in the Night'. I've been through the book a couple of times trying to find it but the eyes haven't picked it up yet.
Hopefully I will be able to cast my eyes onto that passage and quote it as I have a comment to make about it.
The book was written last year and so the writer must relate to Bing.
Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey also are mentioned for being heard on the wireless.

31/3/2013 10:16 pm  #3

Ron Field wrote:

This area will have to do.

There is yet another mention of Bing singing, I think, as I just can't put my eyes on the passage, 'Whispers in the Night'. I've been through the book a couple of times trying to find it but the eyes haven't picked it up yet.

Ron, page 59

''it is, she shot back. As the radio came to life, a new Bing Crosby tune filled the car. That's nice George said. Do you know the name? ''Whispers in The Dark''- - - -

It's not that I have read it - just that I know how to search for these things on the internet!!

01/4/2013 7:14 am  #4

- - - - which pins it down to 1937. I wonder if the writer is a fan?

01/4/2013 9:40 am  #5

Richard Baker wrote:

- - - - which pins it down to 1937. I wonder if the writer is a fan?

It also pins it neatly to radio specifically, rather than record. But interestingly not really a Bing Crosby song - more associated with Connee Boswell. 

01/4/2013 6:35 pm  #6

.Richard,
Thank you. I tried checking it on 'Yellow Packard' but had no luck. But then I'm a bit
hopeless as far as computer tech goes.
And, page 59 it is. I looked and looked again until I got a headache.
According to Franz's Songography Bing only sang it once and that was 28th. October 1937 on KMH.
Chapter 11 says - August 8, 1937. The chapter has 3 pages. This Bing reference is on the 2nd. page of chapter 12 which was also about 3 pages. Most of the chapters are only 3 or so pages.
The next reference date is March 15, 1940, which is chapter 17.
So, once again, thank you Richard.

02/4/2013 6:06 pm  #7

The writer - Ace Collins - must be a Bing fan and it may have been the KMH programme as stated above. Pretty spot on by Ace as Bing only sang it that one time. Or maybe a 'stab in the dark'.

Board footera